Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battery Machine Gun Corps (Motors)

pjwmacro

3 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Comment / thoughts, additions welcome. I have a busy week coming up and am then away next weekend - so may not respond very quickly on this means for the next couple of weeks.

Great start! I've been looking through the album I have from India and going over the locations that are listed. I'm compiling a rough list of places that I have in the album, so I'll probably make a rough map in Photoshop just as a visual aid later.

Edited by abowell97

4 hours ago, abowell97 said:

Great start! I've been looking through the album I have from India and going over the locations that are listed. I'm compiling a rough list of places that I have in the album, so I'll probably make a rough map in Photoshop just as a visual aid later.

Paul. I've been looking at other batteries as well, and hopefully will pin down a more exact formation date I due course  -  based on others. I have both 9th and 15th official formation date of 29/5/1915(15th has it hand written on the front of the War Diary). So could be 22nd and several others have same "paper" formation date, when an order came through to form more batteries. It also explains the service numbers being in general groups. The very early numbers basically enlisted to a specific battery as it was created, but after this the batteries appear to have been formed from a big pool of recruits they had under training, though there was a promise to let people who enlisted together, serve together. They also had a pool of trained personnel kept  as replacements for the existing batteries. From the comments form the letters from Fielder and Gough to The Motorcycle, it's clear that everybody enlisted expecting to be going to France, so a decision must have been made some time later to send a whole battery to India. I think the battery was formed - then decision made to send them to India - not formed with the purpose of going to India. Finding original copy of the battery photo in UK will be a great help - was obviously taken some time before it was published in the paper - this being published in the same centrefold as picture of 4th L.A.M.B - they were also already formed (and issued with tropical gear!) and their photo has leaves on the trees. I'll be looking into formation dates of the early L.A.M.B, and A.M.B batteries also. Also noting all these battery/group photos are credited to the photographer from The Motorcycle, and not taken by an official war office photographer.

Edited by david murdoch

I have to say, I couldn't find much information on any other batteries outside of where they were deployed to.

Almost done compiling a list of all locations I have images of, though a lot have changed their names since... few more pics I found whilst going through them.

596cc68438618_IMG_0002(2).jpg.5084150fe6b0ee1bfc67ab2e4ba32c37.jpg

This one is annotated: "22nd Bty at Faltah Jhang" (I assume it's now Fateh Jang).

596cc65c46427_IMG_0001(2).jpg.885ab196c04f74536ea96ab73f2b9f80.jpg

"A curve on the Simla Railway. One of the most marvellous railways in the world, + climbs to a height of over 1000ft". 

Most likely en-route to Rawalpindi or possibly the Kashmir region. 

596cc66c6fd95_IMG_0003(2).jpg.0b14b97a13730c8dffffe4ae659d9142.jpg

"A few of the b'hoys. Native servants, my servant at the right hand side. Notice the football at the front."

Certainly highlights how different attitudes were then... though I wouldn't have thought the men would have personal servants often, if at all. 

9 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

First attempt to produce a timeline for 22 Motor Machine Gun Bty (I did say it would be rough and ready!)

22 Battery Motor Machine Guns - Timeline                v0.1 as at 17 Jul 17
June 15 - formed Bisley. 2lt EP Windsor posted 23 Jun 15
? Eastbourne trip?  (JJ photo)
Lt MH Roescher A Adjt at Bisley
Nov 16: Maj AW Molony posted in command at Bisley
26 Feb 16. 5 officers and 68 NCOs and soldiers + vans, motorcycles and sidecars embarked Devonport SS Beltana.
20 Mar 16. Disembarked Bombay
Late Mar. Travelled to Rawalpindi. (4 day journey)
Apr 16. NWF tour. See Sgt Fielder letter the Motorcycle July 13th 1916. Depart Pindi 5th Apr for Nowshera. Includes Mardran, Peshawar, Landi Khotal, Thal, Parachinar and Kohat. Return to Pindi 1st May.
Summer 16 (hot season)???: Kuldana/Murree.
Christmas 16: Winter leave period. Sgt Fielder and Cpl Jamieson in Calcutta.
?? Jung, NWF (EWM album)
Summer?? Topa (Himalayan foothills) and Kuldana/Murree (EWM album)
Jan. Morgha (near Pindi) (EWM album).
Summer. Murree
?? Taj Mahal trip (Cpls Jamieson and Patrick + others)
Feb. Gondal (EWM album)
May - Aug. 3rd Afghan War. See war diary: WO95/5392
Autumn?? Battery disbanded. Maj Molony to UK mid Oct. Lt Roescher assumes command, returning to UK himself (depart Bombay 27 Nov 19.)

Comment / thoughts, additions welcome. I have a busy week coming up and am then away next weekend - so may not respond very quickly on this means for the next couple of weeks.

Regards, Paul

Great work Paul and many thanks! 

JJ

2 hours ago, abowell97 said:

I have to say, I couldn't find much information on any other batteries outside of where they were deployed to.

Almost done compiling a list of all locations I have images of, though a lot have changed their names since... few more pics I found whilst going through them.

This one is annotated: "22nd Bty at Faltah Jhang" (I assume it's now Fateh Jang).

596cc65c8ce16_IMG_0001(2).thumb.jpg.62fec00ee9e181ce5ef9b7f4b31946fb.jpg

"A curve on the Simla Railway. One of the most marvellous railways in the world, + climbs to a height of over 1000ft". 

"A few of the b'hoys. Native servants, my servant at the right hand side. Notice the football at the front."

Certainly highlights how different attitudes were then... though I wouldn't have thought the men would have personal servants often, if at all. 

Alex:

Great photos!  I have duplicate of the group photo in the bottom.  The photograph in the center is fascinating.  It has a steam locomotive and seems to be pushing the train from the rear.  I did a bit of research, and this is the Kalka to Shimla Railway, which was built by the British (as all railways in India/Pakistan) and finished in 1891 after only two years of construction.  It started taking passengers in 1903, so this was a relatively new experience for the men back then!  It's a narrow gauge railway of only 76cm and referred to as a "toy railway."  There are 900 bridges, 103 tunnels, many turns and gains altitude of 1,400 meters on the route.  Kalka is about halfway between Lahore and Delhi. Shimla was the summer residence of the British-Indian Government until 1947, so the men may have been traveling for official reasons from "Pindi" to Delhi and on to Shimla.  Would be great to find out when this image was taken to fit it into timeline! 

JJ

Edited by JPJamie

The photo at Fateh Jang is possibly when they were moving up to Parachinar, as it's on the right road. They look well loaded up, and the white cloths on the helmets are probably temporary identification  - if they were on the move with other units, be easier to do a quick head count and not leave anyone behind.

The one of the  lads with servants - In those days would normally be officers had an other rank as a servant, but out in India, probably most ordinary soldiers could afford one too. Very likely each barrack or group would have several shared "house boys" as cleaners, washing, mending and ironing kit, running errands ect, also a punkah wallah (manual a/c). I have photo from Mesopotamia where they had similar ( NCOs at least).

Edited by david murdoch

On 2017-7-15 at 17:05, JPJamie said:

The Cook

My Grandfather writes: "My first photo taken 8AM, breakfast"

So he was taking photographs.

A few times I'd watch Grandad prepare and down a "Bombay Oyster" which he said was sold on the streets in Bombay in trays.

It may have been of "right of passage" upon arrival in Bombay.

The drink consisted of a raw egg dropped into vinegar and swallowed whole, with water, salt and pepper.

Great story - prefer my eggs cooked though!

6 hours ago, david murdoch said:

The photo at Fateh Jang is possibly when they were moving up to Parachinar, as it's on the right road. They look well loaded up, and the white cloths on the helmets are probably temporary identification  - if they were on the move with other units, be easier to do a quick head count and not leave anyone behind.

The one of the  lads with servants - In those days would normally be officers had an other rank as a servant, but out in India, probably most ordinary soldiers could afford one too. Very likely each barrack or group would have several shared "house boys" as cleaners, washing, mending and ironing kit, running errands ect, also a punkah wallah (manual a/c). I have photo from Mesopotamia where they had similar ( NCOs at least).

I wonder if Fateh Jang is the "Jung, NWF" quoted in my grandfather's album. I thought it might be "Jang" - which is well SE of Rawalpindi, almost in India, so not really NWF. Fateh Jang is a little NW of Pindi, so seams rather more likely.

Servants:  pay went a long way in India. Even pte soldiers could afford a servant, although routinely one servant for 2 soldiers.

Best, Paul

2 minutes ago, pjwmacro said:

I wonder if Fateh Jang is the "Jung, NWF" quoted in my grandfather's album. I thought it might be "Jang" - which is well SE of Rawalpindi, almost in India, so not really NWF. Fateh Jang is a little NW of Pindi, so seams rather more likely.

I found it was fairly near Kohat City, west of Rawalpindi, almost halfway to the modern Afghan border.

"Faltah Jhang" to Fateh Jang seems logical, though it isn't 100% the location I found, it seems like a plausible place as I have photos of Kohat City nearby too.

10 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Paul. I've been looking at other batteries as well, and hopefully will pin down a more exact formation date I due course  -  based on others. I have both 9th and 15th official formation date of 29/5/1915(15th has it hand written on the front of the War Diary). So could be 22nd and several others have same "paper" formation date, when an order came through to form more batteries. It also explains the service numbers being in general groups. The very early numbers basically enlisted to a specific battery as it was created, but after this the batteries appear to have been formed from a big pool of recruits they had under training, though there was a promise to let people who enlisted together, serve together. They also had a pool of trained personnel kept  as replacements for the existing batteries. From the comments form the letters from Fielder and Gough to The Motorcycle, it's clear that everybody enlisted expecting to be going to France, so a decision must have been made some time later to send a whole battery to India. I think the battery was formed - then decision made to send them to India - not formed with the purpose of going to India. Finding original copy of the battery photo in UK will be a great help - was obviously taken some time before it was published in the paper - this being published in the same centrefold as picture of 4th L.A.M.B - they were also already formed (and issued with tropical gear!) and their photo has leaves on the trees. I'll be looking into formation dates of the early L.A.M.B, and A.M.B batteries also. Also noting all these battery/group photos are credited to the photographer from The Motorcycle, and not taken by an official war office photographer.

David. The only war diary I have found was for 3rd Afghan War May to Aug 1919, as part of Kurram Frontier Force. I don't recall seeing anything about formation on the cover - but will check when next at TNA. I am not aware of any other 22 Bty War Diaries - and not keeping one would of course fit with them not being considered to be in a war zone - until 3rd Afghan War kicked off. But I absolutely agree with you - they formed in Bisley st some stage in summer/autumn 1915 before being chosen to go to India. Could it be that Loos and Nuevue Chappel were influencing factors on the employment of Motors Batteries?

Doing some digging on Whitfield - will get back to you.

Best, Paul

9 hours ago, abowell97 said:

596cc65c8ce16_IMG_0001(2).thumb.jpg.62fec00ee9e181ce5ef9b7f4b31946fb.jpg

3 great pictures - thank you.

@david murdoch. David. Just been doing some digging for Sgt Whitfield. The following might be worth checking out - certainly not exhaustive, and I h ave no more info than that below - taken from MIC transcripts , not the actual MICs:

MGC: (earlyish service numbers)

0248 Sgt Herbert J Whitfield MGC originally N Staffs, (1705), subsequently Tank Corps (205520) 

3527 CSM H Whitfield MGC,

2924 Pte Howard Whitfield MGC

ASC: (M2 service numbers in same ball park as other 22 Bty ASC atts)

A/Cpl Alfred Whitfield ASC M2/137450

Sgt Thomas D Whitfield ASC M2/119567

Pte William Whitfield ASC M2/051250

Pte Walter S Whitfield ASC M2/101006

Pte Thomas H Whitfield ASC M2/133025

Pte Samuel J Whitfield ASC M2/033211

Pte Frederick C Whitfield ASC M2/114821

Pte Thomas Whitfield ASC M2/119369

There is also a ASC 2Lt GH Whitfield recorded on a MIC as IARO - might be a possibility if he commissioned like Kellett.

I haven't tried searching for different spellings of Whitfield ( ie Wittfield, Witfield, Whitefield, Whitfeld)!

Best, Paul

All. I promised an update on my recent trip to TNA - primarily looking for Officer service records.

2Lt Charles Robert Herbert Farmer. MIC available but I can find no service record for him. Remains possibility that he served beyond 1920 and his service papers are held by MoD, but when I spoke with his family they gave me no info that led me to think he might have continued serving.

Lt James Hargreaves. MIC avail and gives him as RNAS, RNVR, MMGS (RA), and MGC. I found his RNAS service record - which was very disappointing. No date of birth, simply records enlisted 8 Jan 1915, services dispensed with 8 Jun 1915. Can find no Army service record for him.

Lt Max Henry Roescher (Rosher). 2 MICs avail - recording name change and medals issued to Roscher. Service record exists, decent detail with attestation papers into KRRC, 7 Sep 14, promotion to Cpl and Sgt and commissioning to MMGS, 1 Mar 15. As described by mcassell in the thread under Soldiers Topic. He was acting adjutantMMGS Trg Centre Jun-Jul 15, shipping to India on Beltana with 22 Bty. Records records him commanding 7th Armd MB, Feb-Jul 18 at Dera-Ismail-Khan. He was mobilised for the 3rd Afghan War with22 Bty but was hospitalised in a Field Hospital 2-7 Jul 19 - no idea why. Then commanded 22 Bty for a couple months Oct/Nov 19  (after Molony departed for UK) before shipping home himself for discharge in Dec 19. I have some photos of the docs if anyone wants - message me.

Best, Paul

Edited by pjwmacro

16 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

All. I promised an update on my recent trip to TNA - primarily looking for Officer service records.

Great research Paul!

Outside of the individual personnel, was the information you found on the Beltana and shipment date from TNA? I have to say, after looking for any information on the SS Beltana on the internet, I could barely find anything. There's only a few scraps, usually related to the transport of ANZAC soldiers... nothing I could find on the transport of non-dominion forces to India. 

-Alex

On 19/07/2017 at 02:49, abowell97 said:

Great research Paul!

Outside of the individual personnel, was the information you found on the Beltana and shipment date from TNA? I have to say, after looking for any information on the SS Beltana on the internet, I could barely find anything. There's only a few scraps, usually related to the transport of ANZAC soldiers... nothing I could find on the transport of non-dominion forces to India. 

-Alex

Alex

See post ID12 on the first page of this thread. Shipping records are held in TNA - these ones are referenced at  WO 25/3544. They are available (with others) on FMP and ancestry- I was put on to the Beltana record photographed by a researcher on FB who searched for Molony, found the transcript and sent me that. This gave me the reference which I then looked up at TNA. Lots of other shipping records avail - particularly through FMP/ancestry - but I have not managed to find return shipping records back to UK. Individual soldiers records contain dates for going overseas - even if not the name of the ship _ but with the date it is a logical conclusion to fit to the ship sailing from Devonport on that day.

I googled Beltana - and this time seem to have come up with very little -I think I have come up with more before. She wasa P&O ship taken into govnt service as a troopship. Photo attached. Regards , Paul

zoom_HMAT_A72_Beltana.jpg.ca64c903e47b804129e507421fe4338a.jpg

A72-beltana-01.jpg.c68eaac500136458696298f227121d36.jpg

22 minutes ago, pjwmacro said:

See post ID12 on the first page of this thread. Shipping records are held in TNA - these ones are referenced at  WO 25/3544. They are available (with others) on FMP and ancestry- I was put on to the Beltana record photographed by a researcher on FB who searched for Molony, found the transcript and sent me that. This gave me the reference which I then looked up at TNA. Lots of other shipping records avail - particularly through FMP/ancestry - but I have not managed to find return shipping records back to UK. Individual soldiers records contain dates for going overseas - even if not the name of the ship _ but with the date it is a logical conclusion to fit to the ship sailing from Devonport on that day.

I googled Beltana - and this time seem to have come up with very little -I think I have come up with more before.

Thanks for that Paul,

I'm still catching up with the details discussed earlier in the forum! 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 01:54, pjwmacro said:

First attempt to produce a timeline for 22 Motor Machine Gun Bty (I did say it would be rough and ready!)

22 Battery Motor Machine Guns - Timeline                v0.1 as at 17 Jul 17
June 15 - formed Bisley. 2lt EP Windsor posted 23 Jun 15
? Eastbourne trip?  (JJ photo)
Lt MH Roescher A Adjt at Bisley
Nov 16: Maj AW Molony posted in command at Bisley
26 Feb 16. 5 officers and 68 NCOs and soldiers + vans, motorcycles and sidecars embarked Devonport SS Beltana.
20 Mar 16. Disembarked Bombay
Late Mar. Travelled to Rawalpindi. (4 day journey)
Apr 16. NWF tour. See Sgt Fielder letter the Motorcycle July 13th 1916. Depart Pindi 5th Apr for Nowshera. Includes Mardran, Peshawar, Landi Khotal, Thal, Parachinar and Kohat. Return to Pindi 1st May.
Summer 16 (hot season)???: Kuldana/Murree.
Christmas 16: Winter leave period. Sgt Fielder and Cpl Jamieson in Calcutta.
?? Jung, NWF (EWM album)
Summer?? Topa (Himalayan foothills) and Kuldana/Murree (EWM album)
Jan. Morgha (near Pindi) (EWM album).
Summer. Murree
?? Taj Mahal trip (Cpls Jamieson and Patrick + others)
Feb. Gondal (EWM album)
May - Aug. 3rd Afghan War. See war diary: WO95/5392
Autumn?? Battery disbanded. Maj Molony to UK mid Oct. Lt Roescher assumes command, returning to UK himself (depart Bombay 27 Nov 19.)

Regards, Paul

Paul:

Alex supplied us with a great photograph of a train trip from Kalka to Shimla on the "toy railway."  Wondering when that would fit into the timeline.  They probably traveled to Delhi and then Kalka to catch that train to Shimla. 

Edited by JPJamie

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 05:43, abowell97 said:

I will look through my photographs and compile a list of cities and places from them and post. 

I found the Beltana listed on this Australian site.  Looks like the dates work for troops to India.  I was searching for my Grandmother's (James P. Jamieson's wife) ship the Ballarat when she left in 1922 for Australia and found the listing for the Beltana. Seems they are P&O sister ships.  There's way more to the Grandmother story, but it's also way more off topic!

Edited by JPJamie

24 minutes ago, JPJamie said:

I will look through my photographs and compile a list of cities and places from them and post. 

On 17/07/2017 at 07:54, pjwmacro said:

This is what I've got so far, it may help, may not, but it gives a more visual representation of where the 22nd Bty visited. It seems a good place to compile images of locations and see them on a map, adding details of dates and activities etc. So far I just put all the locations I have photos of.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PGZtYt1k_Wucys39w_fuVFlzfX4&usp=sharing

At the moment, it's only view-able through that link, though if anyone wants, it can be made collaboration, any of us could edit it and add our own photos and information about each location. Just puts all locations, images, dates and info in one place.

Thanks,

Alex. 

Edited by abowell97

On 2017-7-19 at 18:21, abowell97 said:

This is what I've got so far, it may help, may not, but it gives a more visual representation of where the 22nd Bty visited. It seems a good place to compile images of locations and see them on a map, adding details of dates and activities etc. So far I just put all the locations I have photos of.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PGZtYt1k_Wucys39w_fuVFlzfX4&usp=sharing

At the moment, it's only view-able through that link, though if anyone wants, it can be made collaboration, any of us could edit it and add our own photos and information about each location. Just puts all locations, images, dates and info in one place.

Thanks,

Alex. 

That's clever! Good job Alex

On 03/07/2017 at 23:35, david murdoch said:

Come up with some more information on Dowie. He appears in London Gazette December 1944. MBE for services as Major Alexander Morrison Dowie, Machine Gun Unit, 1st Battalion Glasgow Home Guard. Actually Forces War Records has him as Major, acting Lt Colonel.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36840/supplement/5744/data.pdf

With this should be able to find more archives on this and maybe a photo.

As I mentioned  - in ancestry they have him as an OBE, but this may be a mistake - unless he got one of those at ta later date (not seeing any gazette for this though)

Dowie's officers pfile is available in TNA. It includes his original soldier attestation paperwork, as well as his commissioning application and his protection certificate. I can send you photos if you want. Looks like he had an attestation interview in may in dundee and then travelled to Bisley, formally enlisting 2Jun 15. Looks as if he lied about his age, he gives dob as 26 Sep 1892 (I have 1895?). He gives his occupation as bank teller. Commissioned HLI 18 or 19 Aug 1918 and transfered to MGC(M) 18 Nov 18. He clearly never left India claiming to be an ACapt with  11 Armoured Motor Battery. Discharged 18th Mar 1920.

IMG_20170720_181635.jpg.da7ea24634cbb162cb46e25d10c56d2d.jpg

IMG_20170720_141757.jpg.2c4e11a898194b2511d082885ef0b4fb.jpg

On 17/07/2017 at 23:05, david murdoch said:

David. I can confirm no formation date on the front of 22 Bty's war diary! Interestingly though, in the light of your previous comments about the availability of fuel - the first entry for the 3rd Afghan War states the battery took the train from Rawlapindi to Kohat 0200-1300 on 14 May 1919. They then used their baggage vans to convoy fuel up to Parachinar. (Sorry about photos -the paper is so thin and the pencil doesn't photo well!)

Best Paul

IMG_20170720_155134.jpg.5dcf089aa5a2f63d5ddf15a59a3409c6.jpg

IMG_20170720_155651.jpg.5f7bf85cf7de22d7a99eb27348e3d4ad.jpg

On 2017-7-19 at 17:50, JPJamie said:

Paul:

Alex supplied us with a great photograph of a train trip from Kalka to Shimla on the "toy railway."  Wondering when that would fit into the timeline.  They probably traveled to Delhi and then Kalka to catch that train to Shimla. 

Agree it's a great photo. Not sure where it might fit on the timeline - unless Alex can supply a clew from the positioning in his Album? My gut feeling is it would be a leave trip - militarily I think (and my grandfather's album seems to support)  they would have used Murree /Kuldana Hills as a "summer station" - it's closer to their barracks s at Rawalpindi and to the NWF. And as you say to get to Shimla you probably go via Delhi.

Best, Paul

3 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Agree it's a great photo. Not sure where it might fit on the timeline - unless Alex can supply a clew from the positioning in his Album? My gut feeling is it would be a leave trip - militarily I think (and my grandfather's album seems to support)  they would have used Murree /Kuldana Hills as a "summer station" - it's closer to their barracks s at Rawalpindi and to the NWF. And as you say to get to Shimla you probably go via Delhi.

Best, Paul

Yeah totally agree.  Thanks much for your previous posts as well!  The images of the Intelligence Summary above is best viewed when clicked on for larger scale and it's much clearer!  Great job Paul!

Edited by JPJamie

17 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Agree it's a great photo. Not sure where it might fit on the timeline - unless Alex can supply a clew from the positioning in his Album?

'Fraid not, it's not one from the album, it was kept in a box along with around 150 other location shots so nothing chronological... I think the album I have is fairly chronological, and there are one or two more railway pictures, so I'll have to take another look.