Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battery Machine Gun Corps (Motors)

pjwmacro

3 hours ago, delta said:

wasn't but have just found his service record. Thanks for sharing.  

Glad to be of help.

On 11/07/2022 at 09:51, pjwmacro said:

There is also a ASC 2Lt GH Whitfield recorded on a MIC as IARO - might be a possibility if he commissioned like Kellett.

Continuing with Whitfield. There are a couple of officer possibilities (there may be others but these are the most obvious I could see). A visit to TNA required for officer files to confirm or otherwise:

57783 Lt Arthur Henry Whitfield, served with Tank Corps 12th Battalion. b 1890/91 and d 14 Jan 21 at Netley - war related injuries.

Lt Jack Whitfield MGC - MIC shows entered France 13th May 1917 - so dates tight but could fit with transfer out of 25th Calcutta Volunteers in late 1916, to OTC and then to France in May 17. He appears to have served with 197 Coy MGC.

And then the Lt GH Whifield referred above - he if he was IARO may not have an officer file at TNA. MIC suggests attached 14th Sikhs. With ASC links this may be most promissing candidate - ie commissioned in India in mechanical related role.

On 11/07/2022 at 08:45, pjwmacro said:

There is a piece about servants in MOMAGU. I will photo and post.

227117915_IMG_0003(2).jpg.5be337d62aed95b8b1c944e094553cfe.jpg

It did seem to be quite common - Like yourselves I've got a few pictures of the lower ranks with servants. I don't have the physical copy of this one with me so I can't remember the caption. Something along the lines of "Our servants, note the football at the front - I'm on the right".

Great scans of the magazine by the way Paul, fascinating to see them.

On 13/07/2022 at 09:44, pjwmacro said:

And then the Lt GH Whifield referred above - he if he was IARO may not have an officer file at TNA. MIC suggests attached 14th Sikhs. With ASC links this may be most promissing candidate - ie commissioned in India in mechanical related role.

I have just started a separate thread to try and identify Sjt Whitfield. I think the most promising line at present is 2Lt GH Whitfield above commissioned into the IARO. I think this is 2039 Pte Gilbert Henry Whitfield of the Ceylon Planters Rifles who appears to have deployed to Egypt in Nov 1914 so probably went to Gallipoli? From the MIC he also appears to have died by Nov 1920. Did he deploy to Egypt in 1914, then join 22 Bty in either 1915 in UK (or perhaps was picked up by them in Egypt in early March 1916 when they passed through) and then transfer to 25th Battery in 1916/17? And subsequently commission in India? However - at least one tree on ancestry indicates he died in Gallipoli in August 1915 - so are there two Lt G H Whitfields?

30850_A001670-01130.jpg

Edited by pjwmacro

The MIC above is not the 22 Bty Whitfield. 

Whitfield, G.H. Second Lieutenant Gilbert Henry Whitfield was educated at Charterhouse School, and then studied engineering at Kings College from 1906-1909. He has taken up planting in Ceylon in 1909 was stationed at Bandarapola and Gammaduwa, Matale, later on Thornfield, Agrapatna, and finally on Sunny Side and Baddegama Estates, Baddegama. Whitfield enlisted in September 1914 with the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps at Diyatalawa. He was a Second Lieutenant and served in Indian Army Reserve of Officers, attached to the 14th King George's Own Ferozepore Sikhs. He was reported missing and believed killed on 8 August 1915 during the fighting at Gallipoli. His name is mentioned in the Helles Memorial.

From the WFA Galle #War Memorial page: https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/first-world-war-memorial-at-galle-sri-lanka/

So 22 Bty is not 2LT GH Whitfield.

On 10/07/2022 at 01:18, pjwmacro said:

A new name to me here: Gnr T K Taylor

Have not yet managed to generate anything about Gnr T K Taylor. (See MOMAGU Motorsports report).

On 14/07/2022 at 23:05, abowell97 said:

Like yourselves I've got a few pictures of the lower ranks with servants.

I think one like this has been posted previously, possibly by @JPJamie I will photo and post the relevant page from MOMAGU soon. (Just taking my time to work through bits).

Article from Sergt JR Slater (about whom I know little, other than he edited MOMAGU) about a leave (furlough) trip to Kashmir. Sadly, although he uses "we" fairly frequently, I can see no mention of who his companion(s) actually was/were.

20220710_MOMAGU-kashmir1.jpg

20220710_MOMAGU-kashmir2.jpg

20220710_MOMAGU-kashmir3.jpg

Like yourselves I've got a few pictures of the lower ranks with servants. I don't have the physical copy of this one with me so I can't remember the caption. Something along the lines of "Our servants, note the football at the front - I'm on the right".

JP had the same photo in his album - which he posted on p6 of the thread, as a group of unknowns. At that point I was wondering if the figure on the right was my grandfather.

Unkown_Soldiers.png

A/Cpl Alfred Whitfield ASC M2/137450

Although the evidence suggests Whitfield is MGC rather than ASC, I am moving onto to check the ASC candidates. I am sure Alfred Whitfield is NOT the right man - although he served on India on the NWF during the Third Afghan War, with 694 Company ASC. Sufficient of his service record is available for me to be sure he was not with 22 Bty.

Pte Thomas H Whitfield ASC M2/133025

Nor does it appear to be Thomas Harold Whitfield of Bristol - again from his service record.

From amongst my father's papers - my Grandfather's (1658 Cpl / ASjt EW Macro) discharge and demob papers. Regards, Paul

20220724_demob-cert.jpg

20220724_demob-cert1.jpg

20220724_discharge1.jpg

20220724_discharge2.jpg

yourselves I've got a few pictures of the lower ranks with servants

Following on the theme of servants. An article from MOMAGU on the subject - Derelicts of India

20220809_MOMAGU_Derelicts1.jpg

20220809_MOMAGU-Derelicts2.jpg

On 03/05/2022 at 03:52, david murdoch said:

Sgt. Davis appears in one of the UK photos  but have not yet tracked him down. So presumably an original Section NCO. If he transferred to another battery he may have then ended up in Heavy Branch and re numbered in Tank Corps. 

Looking in the Motor Cycle of 2 Sep 1915 I see an A Davis?  Perhaps slightly late to enlist, but could this be Sjt Davis?  On the same list is 2338 Colin McKenzie Hampton who went to 28 Battery and then 14 LAMB?TheMotorCycle02Sep15.jpg.862f6be09ca0efe88cb826e6bde5762e.jpg

@david murdoch alternately perhaps this chap is Sjt Davis. Original ASC Pte, and then commissioned TC. So I assume he cannot be the A Davis in the previous post? At present I cannot find either service papers or officer file. Regards Paul

Nor can i find the SWB record - which might help confirm or otherwise as Sjt Davis was badly wounded in the face according to MOMAGU

AJK-Davis.jpg

AJK-Davis2.jpg

AJK-Davis3.jpg

AJK-Davis4.jpg

Edited by pjwmacro

Followers of this thread will be familiar with this photo of 22nd Motor Machine Gun Battery from Summer/Autumn 1915, thought to be taken near Eastbourne. This was amongst my Father's papers as a postcard. Signed "Yours Ernest" [Ernest William Macro - my grandfather] on the front, the back of the postcard is blank. There are some other post cards i will post over the next few days.

Regards, Paul

20220724_22-Bty.jpg

20220724_22-Bty-back.jpg

Great pictures as usual Paul, really informative!

The fact that, seemingly regardless of rank, they could have someone polish their buttons and boots for them is surprising- I think the less those on the Western Front knew about any of this the better! 

14 hours ago, abowell97 said:

I think the less those on the Western Front knew about any of this the better

Would love to have been a fly on the wall of some of Walter and Leonard Patrick's post war conversations!

• 1 year later...
On 09/06/2017 at 19:50, JPJamie said:

Here is "acting" Corporal James Petrie Jamieson at right with shoulder stripe and cap showing badge with two unknowns...

JPJamieson_Unknowns_562x802.png.233c45165c25858f022f8cad8e7b6862.png

Interesting update. I just recently received this photo from an contact. These caps belonged to a man who served with 6th L.A.M.B in Mesopotamia, but shows a bit of detail. The dark one being similar to what was worn in India by the battery. Interestingly the "desert" version has the badge on the right hand side, but may have been re attached incorrectly at a later date. In both cases the badges appear to have been deliberately bent/curved. 

371453700_1753750015054200_5077772122243502882_n.jpg