Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battery Machine Gun Corps (Motors)

pjwmacro

Working behind the scenes right now to find some family background on several of the known battery members - using  addresses on many of the medal index cards, and crossing back over into general  genealogy. Some of these addresses are their original pre war address. Hoping to pick them up on 1911 census to get their ages (then) and in turn work out their birth year and age when they enlisted. For the older ones we can find their occupation in 1911 which gives clues to their background and possible reasons for them to enlist specifically in MMGS. Once positively identified  can cross check if they show up on anyone's online family tree, which I'm hoping may lead to contact with living descendants or relatives. Their home addresses (or towns at least) can be marked on the map, and this will show the spread of where they came from across the UK. I some cases by visiting there by Google Earth can find their houses still in existence. All the information I get on any MMGS member I save to their own service file by original service number/name. From this plan to write a short biography one each man that can add to as information comes up.

Due to the destruction of service files in WW2 makes for more work. Having more luck with the ASC records as presumably in a different location and more survive. What I've found though is the ASC guys were very much an integral part of the batteries (both motorcycle and armoured cars), and not just drivers assigned to these units. In many cases they enlisted through the same MMGS interview / recruiting procedure as the gunners and posted directly to batteries as mechanics/artificers due to their experience and skills so detail from their records can assist to fill in blanks on the MGC side. Also in the MMGS as a whole I am finding quite a high percentage of commissions from the original volunteers, so by finding officer records can back track their original enlistment and attestations.

Here is what I have on Cpl Arthur Sutcliffe 1592 (so far!). His trail is a bit difficult after WW1 being common name in area where he lived. His early life history found due to his brother being famous and well documented. Would never have found this without the reference to his brother on the photo! The other photo is of him (standing right) with his mother and two younger brothers (Herbert the cricketer on the left).

Arthur Sutcliffe was born 1893 Hartwith Yorkshire. Baptised June 5th 1893 in Summerbridge, Yorkshire.

His parents were Willie Sutcliffe and Jane Elisabeth Sutcliffe

He had two younger brothers:-

Herbert William Sutcliffe (1894 – 1978) born in Summerbridge, Yorkshire.

Robert Peel Sutcliffe (1897-1978) born in Pudsey, Yorkshire.

His father was a sawmill worked at Dacre Banks, but when Arthur was around five years old the family moved to Pudsey where his grandfather was landlord of the Kings Arms pub. His father worked in the pub and played cricket for Pudsay St Lawrence Cricket Club, and also played rugby. Willie Sutcliffe died in 1898 aged 36 due to an injury sustained during a rugby match.

Jane Sutcliffe moved the family to Darley, the boys enrolling at Darley School, and she remarried. Jane developed tuberculosis and died in January 1904 at the age of 37, when Arthur was 14. Jane's second husband was a boot maker called Tom Waller but he was not allowed custody of the brothers who moved back to Pudsey to be cared for by the Sutcliffe family. Willie Sutcliffe had three sisters, Sarah, Carrie and Harriet, who ran a bakery. They became the legal guardians of Arthur, Herbert and Bob, respectively. The boys lived in the family house which contained the bakery and slept in a loft above the bakehouse.

By 1911 the three brothers were working - Arthur as a clerk in an engineer’s office and his brothers both worked in the boot manufacturing trade.

Arthur’s younger brother Herbert was already a notable cricketer from a young age, playing for his father's old club and already playing for Yorkshire 2nd XI and Pudsey Britannia when WW1 broke out. In the Bradford League, Sutcliffe scored a then-record 727 runs in the season at the age of 19.

All three brothers enlisted and survived the war.

Arthur enlisted in the Motor Machine Gun Service - likely 1st week of June 1915 by his number – age 22.

Herbert William Sutcliffe enlisted in 1915 and served first with the Royal Army Ordnance Corps stationed at York, and then with the Sherwood Foresters. He was later commissioned into the Green Howards as a Second Lieutenant, but he did not see active service and was not posted to France until after the Armistice was signed. After the war he resumed and had a very successful cricketing career.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Sutcliffe

Robert Peel Sutcliffe (service details not yet confirmed) but possible MIC.

Arthur's Post war address (MIC)

Lyncroft,

Upper Armley,

Leeds,

West Yorkshire

Sutcliffe_702x730.png.34a90c3a3c9cd0f8ecc225f32ffc53c5.png.ce2494d7ed36eda4b13188951a47b5ab.png

597b627a32659_ArthurSutcliffe.jpg.f977f8db12aab3693c89e6951715a60a.jpg

9 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Here is what I have on Cpl Arthur Sutcliffe 1592 (so far!). His trail is a bit difficult after WW1 being common name in area where he lived. His early life history found due to his brother being famous and well documented. Would never have found this without the reference to his brother on the photo! The other photo is of him (standing right) with his mother and two younger brothers (Herbert the cricketer on the left).

Arthur Sutcliffe was born 1893 Hartwith Yorkshire. Baptised June 5th 1893 in Summerbridge, Yorkshire.

His parents were Willie Sutcliffe and Jane Elisabeth Sutcliffe

He had two younger brothers:-

Herbert William Sutcliffe (1894 – 1978) born in Summerbridge, Yorkshire.

Robert Peel Sutcliffe (1897-1978) born in Pudsey, Yorkshire.

His father was a sawmill worked at Dacre Banks, but when Arthur was around five years old the family moved to Pudsey where his grandfather was landlord of the Kings Arms pub. His father worked in the pub and played cricket for Pudsay St Lawrence Cricket Club, and also played rugby. Willie Sutcliffe died in 1898 aged 36 due to an injury sustained during a rugby match.

Jane Sutcliffe moved the family to Darley, the boys enrolling at Darley School, and she remarried. Jane developed tuberculosis and died in January 1904 at the age of 37, when Arthur was 14. Jane's second husband was a boot maker called Tom Waller but he was not allowed custody of the brothers who moved back to Pudsey to be cared for by the Sutcliffe family. Willie Sutcliffe had three sisters, Sarah, Carrie and Harriet, who ran a bakery. They became the legal guardians of Arthur, Herbert and Bob, respectively. The boys lived in the family house which contained the bakery and slept in a loft above the bakehouse.

By 1911 the three brothers were working - Arthur as a clerk in an engineer’s office and his brothers both worked in the boot manufacturing trade.

Arthur’s younger brother Herbert was already a notable cricketer from a young age, playing for his father's old club and already playing for Yorkshire 2nd XI and Pudsey Britannia when WW1 broke out. In the Bradford League, Sutcliffe scored a then-record 727 runs in the season at the age of 19.

All three brothers enlisted and survived the war.

Arthur enlisted in the Motor Machine Gun Service - likely 1st week of June 1915 by his number – age 22.

Herbert William Sutcliffe enlisted in 1915 and served first with the Royal Army Ordnance Corps stationed at York, and then with the Sherwood Foresters. He was later commissioned into the Green Howards as a Second Lieutenant, but he did not see active service and was not posted to France until after the Armistice was signed. After the war he resumed and had a very successful cricketing career.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Sutcliffe

Robert Peel Sutcliffe (service details not yet confirmed) but possible MIC.

Arthur's Post war address (MIC)

Lyncroft,

Upper Armley,

Leeds,

West Yorkshire

Sutcliffe_702x730.png.34a90c3a3c9cd0f8ecc225f32ffc53c5.png

Arthur Sutcliffe .jpg

Wonderful stuff David!  Thanks for all that research.

Gunner Alex Chisholm 1641

Another Scot!

Born 12/9/1891 at Marnoch, Aberchirder, Banffshire. (North East Scotland)

1911 Census  Living at 87 North St, Marnoch

With parents William Chisholm and Mary (Lyon) Chisolm and two younger sisters.

Occupation at that time "apprentice".

He had six older sisters, two older brothers and two younger sisters.

Father died 1913 aged 73

One older brother George R B Chisolm  killed in action 22/4/1918

S4/094422 ASC & B/201396 1st. Battalion Rifles.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/247612/CHISHOLM, G

He was single and a baker - living in London prior to war.

Is commemorated  also on New Marnoch Church memorial.

MIC address given as 144 Main Street, Aberchirder ( his mother's address by then, as also referenced on brother's GWWG).

After this not found any marriage or death records for him (in the area).

Aberchirder known locally as Foggieloan or Foggie is still a very small close rural community. Many of his siblings appear to have lived there all their lives.

I have contacted their online museum in hope of finding out more.

Attached is contemporary list of local men in service (probably mid/late 1915) - Alex and brother George listed, but also a James Chisolm 6th Gordon Highlanders and William Christie James Chisolm RFA all with same address. Noting he is the only  one from the area serving in MMGS, discounts  joining up with friends, and he would have to travel a considerable distance to enlist specifically to MMGS. His service number puts him as a possible to have enlisted in Dundee, or like his brother he my have moved south for work by 1915.

vmwars-049-cre.jpg.9610fea7ce6456445392340b46f9370b.jpg

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 19:46, david murdoch said:

Gunner Alex Chisholm 1641

Another Scot!

Born 12/9/1891 at Marnoch, Aberchirder, Banffshire. (North East Scotland)

1911 Census  Living at 87 North St, Marnoch

With parents William Chisholm and Mary (Lyon) Chisolm and two younger sisters.

Occupation at that time "apprentice".

He had six older sisters, two older brothers and two younger sisters.

Father died 1913 aged 73

One older brother George R B Chisolm  killed in action 22/4/1918

S4/094422 ASC & B/201396 1st. Battalion Rifles.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/247612/CHISHOLM, G

He was single and a baker - living in London prior to war.

Is commemorated  also on New Marnoch Church memorial.

MIC address given as 144 Main Street, Aberchirder ( his mother's address by then, as also referenced on brother's GWWG).

After this not found any marriage or death records for him (in the area).

Aberchirder known locally as Foggieloan or Foggie is still a very small close rural community. Many of his siblings appear to have lived there all their lives.

I have contacted their online museum in hope of finding out more.

Great stuff David,  on Dowie, Sutcliffe and Chisholm. Many thanks.  Does Cpl Ernest Warburton's MIC feature an address. I'm interested because I am almost sure he was in No3 Section with my Grandfather - and I have been stymied from further progress because it is a common name.

Edited by pjwmacro

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 01:15, pjwmacro said:

In terms of specific operations on the Khyber in Jul 1918 I am not aware of them, but as Alex says, the tribes on the NWF were kicking off all the time - it was a dangerous place, and I am sure 22 Bty would have seen its share of action when patrolling up there. But i'll do some google to see if I can come up with something more specific for Jul18 - because this certainly looks like a pretty major operation.

Best Paul

@JPJamie  @abowell97 Google and Wikipedia not produced anything of help re Khyber operations of Jul 18. I'lI try starting a separate thread here on GWF when I have a moment.  Bit stretched at present. May get a couple of posts this week - but am then largely off net until late Aug / early Sep. Lack of reply does NOT equal lack of interest. I will catch up on return!

Best Paul.

4 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

@JPJamie  @abowell97 Google and Wikipedia not produced anything of help re Khyber operations of Jul 18. I'lI try starting a separate thread here on GWF when I have a moment.  Bit stretched at present. May get a couple of posts this week - but am then largely off net until late Aug / early Sep. Lack of reply does NOT equal lack of interest. I will catch up on return!

Best Paul.

Fair enough. I tried looking myself, and the only event I found that could be pinned to July 1918 in the region is the (beginning of the) mobilisation of the 2nd Rawalpindi Division.

I can't recall, but wasn't the 22nd Battery attached to the 2nd Rawalpindi Division? If so, it could have been a general assembly of all grouped units, as any action against the Mahsud tribe was further south at the time, I think... not too sure but will continue digging.

Regards, 

Alex.

Edited by abowell97

I put an image on the map my Grandfather defined as "Kashmir Fort" however, it's actually Hari Parbat Fort.  The image appears to be taken from the west bank of the Jhelum River, near Sprinagar and Rainawari.  Wondering now what got them there and why? 

Edited by JPJamie

5 hours ago, abowell97 said:

Fair enough. I tried looking myself, and the only event I found that could be pinned to July 1918 in the region is the (beginning of the) mobilisation of the 2nd Rawalpindi Division.

I can't recall, but wasn't the 22nd Battery attached to the 2nd Rawalpindi Division? If so, it could have been a general assembly of all grouped units, as any action against the Mahsud tribe was further south at the time, I think... not too sure but will continue digging.

Regards, 

Alex.

From the original post on the thread Paul noted they were attached to 4th (Rawalpindi) Brigade in 2nd (Rawalpindi) Division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_(Rawalpindi)_Division#Rawalpindi_.284th.29_Brigade

But 22nd battery not mentioned, though it notes several deployments to North West Frontier during the war years, then again in 1919 for 3rd Afghan.

They are  mentioned though on the Long Long Trail.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/2nd-rawalpindi-division/

May be able to get more information by searching some of the other component units.

On 7/31/2017 at 12:33, abowell97 said:

Regards, 

Alex.

Alex -the Mashuds were a Pathan tribe of the Waziristan region - so yes South of the Khyber.

The LLT records 22 Bty as being 4th(Rawalpindi) Bde of 2nd (Rawalpindi) Div which is where I took the info from for the original post . However LLT also records the Bty as forming in India - which we no longer believe to be the case. It may be that by being based on Rawalpindi the (eroneous?) association has been made between the Bty and these Bde/Div. Interestingly the official history of the 3rd Afghan War Orbat gives 22 Bty as "Corps Troops" within the NWFF - separate from 4th Bde and 2nd Div. Then listed again under MGC under Kohat Area and LofC Defence.

Best Paul

Edited by pjwmacro

7 hours ago, JPJamie said:

I put an image on the map my Grandfather defined as "Kashmir Fort" however, it's actually Hari Parbat Fort.  The image appears to be taken from the west bank of the Jhelum River, near Sprinagar and Rainawari.  Wondering now what got them there and why? 

Jim - I need to look at these on a map - not 100% sure where they are. But they may be quite close to the Kashmiri lakes and the houseboat recorded in an early post. 

Paul 

15 hours ago, david murdoch said:

From the original post on the thread Paul noted they were attached to 4th (Rawalpindi) Brigade in 2nd (Rawalpindi) Division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_(Rawalpindi)_Division#Rawalpindi_.284th.29_Brigade

But 22nd battery not mentioned, though it notes several deployments to North West Frontier during the war years, then again in 1919 for 3rd Afghan.

They are  mentioned though on the Long Long Trail.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/2nd-rawalpindi-division/

May be able to get more information by searching some of the other component units.

Thanks David. Fresh topic started under the India banner at:

I have quoted the 3rd Afghan War Official history units of 4th Bde (1DLI, 1-33rd Punjabs, 40th Pathans and 2-54th Sikhs (FF) ) not the 1914 units listed by LLT. 

Best Paul

Edited by pjwmacro

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 18:54, pjwmacro said:

Jim - I need to look at these on a map - not 100% sure where they are. But they may be quite close to the Kashmiri lakes and the houseboat recorded in an early post. 

Paul 

I have more "houseboat" pictures and a picture taken from Lake Dal in Kashmir on the map.  Interesting in that the "Kashmir Fort" as my Grandfather called it is now the Hari Parbat Fort and considered a shrine of sorts.  Two of the houseboat pictures where taken from a building on shore in Srinagar, but could be Rainawari nearby (twin cities).

Below are two of the houseboat pictures I found the most interesting.  The top image shows the "Kashmir Fort" now Hari Parbat Fort in the distance taken from the west bank of the Jhelum River in Srinagar.  Both pictures were taken in 1917.  The lower picture is a different angle and it appears the photographer moved to a different location.  Will try and get comparison images as that building on the opposite shore may still be there...

Srinagar_On_Jhelum_River_802x458.png.860b0d742b47eaaf4fffc5577d85a821.png

I

River_Houseboat_1917_802x563.png.9aa298684b96723f106777b3eb65c269.png

Edited by JPJamie

1 hour ago, JPJamie said:

Srinagar_On_Jhelum_River_802x458.png.860b0d742b47eaaf4fffc5577d85a821.png

Great photos!

Thanks for adding them to the map. I was going to upload my duplicate of the above image later, though none of mine have dates on. Looks like a stunning place...

Still trying to find anything on the events in the Khyber Pass for July 1918. It seems a few separate divisions from Rawalpindi, Peshawar and one other I can't remember were mobilised in July, though I'm not sure if they congregated on a certain date.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 05:11, pjwmacro said:

Great stuff David,  on Dowie, Sutcliffe and Chisholm. Many thanks.  Does Cpl Ernest Warburton's MIC feature an address. I'm interested because I am almost sure he was in No3 Section with my Grandfather - and I have been stymied from further progress because it is a common name.

Paul.

I'll do some searching for Ernest Warburton. I paid  Mersey Road a "virtual visit" on Google earth. I think the house is gone now, as the Rock Ferry bypass cuts right alongside. There are just a handful of houses left and even numbers 70 - 80, so assuming it must have been on the other side of the street  - all those houses are gone. On saying that the fact the remaining houses are quite decent and of the period and No.53 also had a name "Woodbank" suggests it was a family home rather than rented accommodation - might have to wait until 2021 when the 1921 Census comes out! He has no middle name so harder to identify. Will try and narrow down to "fighting age" from the area.

1 hour ago, abowell97 said:

Great photos!

Thanks for adding them to the map. I was going to upload my duplicate of the above image later, though none of mine have dates on. Looks like a stunning place...

Still trying to find anything on the events in the Khyber Pass for July 1918. It seems a few separate divisions from Rawalpindi, Peshawar and one other I can't remember were mobilised in July, though I'm not sure if they congregated on a certain date.

I did a Google Earth search and found a matching shot and know about where he was for the shot on the west bank of the Jhelum River in "downtown" Srinagar.  The river narrows as it goes through Srinagar and runs north/south where the pictures were taken.  The building with the pointy top is the Shrine of Hazrat Mir Syed Ali Hamadan.  The day looks to be the same with clouds on the horizon, only 100 years ago this year...

Srinagar_Kashmir_Composite_819x1004.png.0381194097a1f5b1acdd16a87546608e.png

Edited by JPJamie

5 hours ago, abowell97 said:

I agree - some sort of concentration / Divisional mobilisation - but I cannot uncover anything official that says whether it was driven by something in particular, or even whether they then conducted any training  in particular. Best Paul

5 hours ago, JPJamie said:

I did a Google Earth search and found a matching shot and know about where he was for the shot on the west bank of the Jhelum River in "downtown" Srinagar.  The river narrows as it goes through Srinagar and runs north/south where the pictures were taken.  The building with the pointy top is the Shrine of Hazrat Mir Syed Ali Hamadan.  The day looks to be the same with clouds on the horizon, only 100 years ago this year...

Srinagar_Kashmir_Composite_819x1004.png.0381194097a1f5b1acdd16a87546608e.png

Great photos - I have been lucky enough to make acouple of trips to India - but never got into Kashmir - looks fabulous, would love to visit.

5 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Paul.

I'll do some searching for Ernest Warburton. I paid  Mersey Road a "virtual visit" on Google earth. I think the house is gone now, as the Rock Ferry bypass cuts right alongside. There are just a handful of houses left and even numbers 70 - 80, so assuming it must have been on the other side of the street  - all those houses are gone. On saying that the fact the remaining houses are quite decent and of the period and No.53 also had a name "Woodbank" suggests it was a family home rather than rented accommodation - might have to wait until 2021 when the 1921 Census comes out! He has no middle name so harder to identify. Will try and narrow down to "fighting age" from the area.

Thanks David, my search not helped by doing it through LoTFWW rather than FMP or Ancestry  i cannot find him at Woodbank - but Cheshire narrows down to about 4 or 5 possibilities. However, one of the most likely had a middle name (Allen? from memory) but if course there are several hundred through the North West - and he could have moved to Mersey Rd from our of the area, post 1911!

regards Paul

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 06:33, abowell97 said:

Regards, 

Alex: I thought I had added this image with my Grandfather's writing above, but it seems I didn't. 

So here is his writing above the image "July 1918"...

Khyber_Pass_July1918_800x718.png.04177891bc961d15d389c922bd69037f.png

11 hours ago, JPJamie said:

Alex: I thought I had added this image with my Grandfather's writing above, but it seems I didn't. 

So here is his writing above the image "July 1918"...

Thanks!

I did eventually find a picture on another forum on this website that looks very similar to your own:

post-36594-0-58564700-1400736458.jpg

This image URL was taken from Maggie May's post here: 

Looks like the same location (going by the mountains and camp layout), but taken higher up. Still doesn't clear up what the operation was for, or what batteries or brigades were there, but it does give new leads, as we now know the hill fort visible in both as Ali Masjid

June-July 1918 seemed to be a period where a lot of smaller brigades were being renamed and merged into larger divisions under new names, as well as plans for mobilisation being drawn up for many of them. 

Hope this helps,

Alex. 

Edited by abowell97

2 hours ago, abowell97 said:

Thanks!

I did eventually find a picture on another forum on this website that looks very similar to your own:

post-36594-0-58564700-1400736458.jpg

This image URL was taken from Maggie May's post here: 

Looks like the same location (going by the mountains and camp layout), but taken higher up. Still doesn't clear up what the operation was for, or what batteries or brigades were there, but it does give new leads, as we now know the hill fort visible in both as Ali Masjid

June-July 1918 seemed to be a period where a lot of smaller brigades were being renamed and merged into larger divisions under new names, as well as plans for mobilisation being drawn up for many of them. 

Hope this helps,

Alex. 

When comparing both images, below the fort there are some tents in my Grandfather's image, but  not in the one Maggie May supplied. 

20 hours ago, JPJamie said:

When comparing both images, below the fort there are some tents in my Grandfather's image, but  not in the one Maggie May supplied. 

Yeah, can't be the same date then. 

At least we know the exact location, though even now I can't seen to find a whole lot about the area at the time your image was taken...

6 hours ago, abowell97 said:

Yeah, can't be the same date then. 

At least we know the exact location, though even now I can't seen to find a whole lot about the area at the time your image was taken...

Checking the Maggie May thread - suggests her photo was taken during the 3rd Afghan War. But we are clear the location is Khyber.  I am still no further forward with why the Bty were up there in 1918 -  But have a look at the thread I started under the India topic - Afghan Operations - 

.  some suggestion that it may have been strategic posturing to deter Turkey rather than an anti tribes operation. i think this makes sense - but if it was really deliberate then I think there would have been a mention in official despatched or reports - and this explanation would not have been given to the troops -  they would have been given some form of operational orders/reason. I am still hopeful that may be we can find some sort of explanation at unit level - it is clearly a significant concentration of troops - even if it is a Divisional "Test" mobilusation ir similar?

Thus really will be my last post for a while - the Fastnet Race beckons then followed by some family holiday time. Back on line at end of August - look forward to catching up with you then.

Paul

1 hour ago, pjwmacro said:

Checking the Maggie May thread - suggests her photo was taken during the 3rd Afghan War. But we are clear the location is Khyber.  I am still no further forward with why the Bty were up there in 1918 -  But have a look at the thread I started under the India topic - Afghan Operations - 

.  some suggestion that it may have been strategic posturing to deter Turkey rather than an anti tribes operation. i think this makes sense - but if it was really deliberate then I think there would have been a mention in official despatched or reports - and this explanation would not have been given to the troops -  they would have been given some form of operational orders/reason. I am still hopeful that may be we can find some sort of explanation at unit level - it is clearly a significant concentration of troops - even if it is a Divisional "Test" mobilusation ir similar?

Thus really will be my last post for a while - the Fastnet Race beckons then followed by some family holiday time. Back on line at end of August - look forward to catching up with you then.

Paul

Just want to add here, this is a great research effort but what if my Grandfather was mistaken on the date of July 1918...we will never know. 

Edited by JPJamie