Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

10 hours ago, Uncle George said:

4728DDAC-1F5D-4EEC-8057-9690E0ED63A5.jpeg

I swear I can remember it! I'll try not to spill the beans but there's a Royal Family connection, right?

I hope I haven't jumped in at an inappropriate time but I think the first photograph is Earl Winfield Spencer and the second, Ernest Simpson, both of who were marred to Wallis Simpson who went onto marry King Edward VIII  after his abdication. 

Edited by Gunner 87

6 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Hint: British Army for 20 Years, then he took his discharge only for the war to come around and for him to gain a commission in the 1/AIF

How about Major General Sir John Gellibrand?, about the only one I can find that fits that criteria.

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

How about Major General Sir John Gellibrand?, about the only one I can find that fits that criteria.

no comment.. except good job! You got it! I don't have anyone up my sleeve anymore since all I'll pick is some obscure Private!

Zidane 

34 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

no comment.. except good job! You got it! I don't have anyone up my sleeve anymore since all I'll pick is some obscure Private!

Zidane 

But ilkley remembers guessed it was Gellibrand on 4 July, and you told him “Nah”.

5 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

I hope I haven't jumped in at an inappropriate time but I think the first photograph is Earl Winfield Spencer and the second, Ernest Simpson, both of who were marred to Wallis Simpson who went onto marry King Edward VIII  after his abdication. 

Yes indeed. ‘Earl Spencer’ is a eerie echo of that other unhappy Royal marriage. ‘The Heart Has its Reasons’ is the title of Wallis’ memoirs.

53 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

But ilkley remembers guessed it was Gellibrand on 4 July, and you told him “Nah”.

Oops, 😳

Haven't partaken for a while, but here's a jolly Jack Tar...20221222_102729.jpg.9f6c712f55f654956e3909e6ed7cf1e1.jpg 

I haven't played in a while... OK.. Navy guy. 

Lt Cdr ... 

another hint perchance?? 

M.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

18 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Oops, 😳

My mistake, it's not him! I do apologize. I thought it was him when I referrred back, but it isnt.
I have the correct name [found the original source]. Hint: He commanded a South Australian Battalion

Once again, very sorry for the c*ck-up.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi M,

He also looks to be on a sub

Should I take an educated guess and say the submarine involved was sunk in 1918 with 9 survivors... Near the Dardanelles?

Both of you are spot on. There you go Marilyne. You might have to be quick 😁

Was he one of the submariner VC’s (posthumously?)

Edited by Knotty

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Was he one of the submariner VC’s (posthumously?)

Sorry to be pedantic, but no.

27 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Hint: He commanded a South Australian Battalion

I’d like him to be Stanley Price Weir - a very interesting man, he enlisted as a private in 1885 and became a Brigadier General. But he was awarded the DSO, which by your earlier clue rules him out.

OK, so the sub is the E14. 

It's not a posthumous VC, so it's not Lt Cdr Wright... leaves the previous CO of the sub (I was not sure if I saw that correctly on the pic) ... Edward Boyle??? 

M.

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but no.

We’ve had Norman Holbrook on WIT, so my next guess would be Lt-Cdr Edward Boyle of the E14

Just now, Knotty said:

We’ve had Norman Holbrook on WIT, so my next guess would be Lt-Cdr Edward Boyle of the E14

our messages crossed.... either we're both right, or we'll both have to shamefully go into hiding ..; 

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

2 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

our messages crossed.... either we're both right, or we'll both have to shamefully go into hiding ..; 

Both quite correct of course. Honours even. 👍To go with Boyle's V.C. all members of the crew received gallantry medals. 

https://www.warandson.co.uk/index.php/news/24-gunboats-and-gallipoli-the-perils-of-a-wwi-british-submarine

One of 7 VC holders to be cremated at Woking Crematorium, they have a plaque with all their names inscribed.

Following the subs’ commanders theme, who is this ? ? ? The submarine involved was an ill-fated sort of submarine/aircraft carrier hybrid. (A family connection of sorts for me.)

EE93F925-FAC8-404D-9E73-FD6E60F04D0C.jpeg

EDIT: image from hmse22.wix.com

Edited by Uncle George

R.N.A.S?

33 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Following the subs’ commanders theme, who is this ? ? ? The submarine involved was an ill-fated sort of submarine/aircraft carrier hybrid. (A family connection of sorts for me.)

EE93F925-FAC8-404D-9E73-FD6E60F04D0C.jpeg

Possibly HMS M1 or M2 or even M3? Perhaps I'm looking too far ahead

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

I’d like him to be Stanley Price Weir - a very interesting man, he enlisted as a private in 1885 and became a Brigadier General. But he was awarded the DSO, which by your earlier clue rules him out.

That hint was when I thought it was Gelilibrand... Ignore that hint. The only valid one is commanding South Australian Battalion. I apologize for the mix-up once again
Not Weir.. A relative of mine served under Weir on April 25th, 1915 [P.W Foster, later K.I.A 50th Btn] as one of the first. Indeed an interesting man! Most of his Militia Officers came with him with the 10th Battalion. Done some research on that Battalion [attempting to identify men from 10th Battalion Company/Reinforcement photographs] among other units.
Weir below
zoom_WEIR__STANLEY_PRICE.jpg.589556cb7db814f80e7db8250052e23f.jpg

Edited by tankengine888

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

R.N.A.S?

No -  he was appointed to the submarine service as a Sub-Lieutenant. Apparently his father was a Baron of the Russian Empire.