Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

25 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Back to the drawing board then:unsure:

He was serving on board a ship which was torpedoed and sunk by the U-19 in 1918. But this is not where his fame lies.

Just now, Uncle George said:

He was serving on board a ship which was torpedoed and sunk by the U-19 in 1918. But this is not where his fame lies.

That definitely gives us something to go on :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

That helped alot...
Something about his fame is about an ocean liner he captained, correct?

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I presume that this is about the apprehension of Dr Crippen on the Montrose. The captain was Henry Kendall

You just beat me to it Mr. Ilkley. I was just posting the same chap. The Captain of the Calgarian 

8 minutes ago, neverforget said:

You just beat me to it Mr. Ilkley. I was just posting the same chap. The Captain of the Calgarian 

Ships seem to have formed a habit of going down beneath his feet. The Calgarian was the third apparently.

1 minute ago, ilkley remembers said:

Ships seem to have formed a habit of going down beneath his feet. The Calgarian was the third apparently.

Probably known as "Jonah" in the trade 😁

Yes. Henry George Kendall. His very interesting early life is outlined here:

https://empressofireland.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/kendall-henry-george/

And of course Crippen was the first suspect to be captured with the aid of wireless telegraphy.

“With the reported disappearance of his wife in June 1910, Inspector Walter Dew of Scotland Yard discovered the remains of a corpse in the cellar of Crippen’s house. Crippen, the prime suspect, then attempted to flee the country in the company of Ethel le Neve, his employee and mistress, with whom he had been conducting an affair since 1905.

Initially evading capture the fugitives fled, to Amsterdam then Antwerp and boarded the Liner SS Montrose for Canada. The ship’s Captain Henry George Kendall recognised the fugitives from newspaper reports. Just before steaming beyond the range of his ship-board transmitter the Captain asked telegraphist Lawrence Ernest Hughes to send a wireless telegram to the British authorities: 

‘Have strong suspicions that Crippen London cellar murderer and accomplice are among saloon passengers. Moustache taken off growing beard. Accomplice dressed as boy. Manner and build undoubtedly a girl.’

Inspector Dew boarded the faster SS Laurentic from Liverpool in hot pursuit and arrived in Quebec, Canada ahead of Dr Crippen where he contacted the Canadian authorities. Dew, disguised as a ships pilot, boarded the Montrose in the St. Lawrence River and arrested Crippen.”

https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/on-this-day-23rd-november/

His Great War service is outlined here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_George_Kendall

Edited by Uncle George

12 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

If you look at his uniform closely, there'll be a clue.

Is the patch on his left upper-sleeve the 48th Infantry Battalion (I’m clutching at straws tbh).

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is the patch on his left upper-sleeve the 48th Infantry Battalion (I’m clutching at straws tbh).

Now I'm clutching the straws! 

Hi all !! 

I see we've moved on to great detective stories too! 

Happy New Year, and many happy WITs to solve! 

M. 

• 2 weeks later...

While we await a further clue from tankengine, who is this rather sinister classical scholar and papyrologist ? ? ? (He is not Count Orlok).

034B2B65-5C16-42B4-9390-4C43A44944DF.jpeg

Oh goodie...an enigma to solve... just what I needed... 

Won't say more cause as I know a bit about the golden age of egyptology, I know who the guy is... and I think I gave a hint.

FYI... Dilauria, my crazy 5y old mare, tried to high five me... not a good plan... and so I'm in a hospital bed nursing 2 broken ribs... time enough to solve some WITs... 

M. 

Edited by Marilyne

12 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Oh goodie...an enigma to solve... just what I needed... 

Won't say more cause as I know a bit about the golden age of egyptology, I know who the guy is... and I think I gave a hint.

FYI... Dilauria, my crazy 5y old mare, tried to high five me... not a good plan... and so I'm in a hospital bed nursing 2 broken ribs... time enough to solve some WITs... 

M. 

Ouch…. that must be painful Marilyne!  I can imagine it’s difficult to breathe comfortably.  I hope that you recover and feel better quickly.

It's actually ok for breathing. It hurts when I move... and I just hope I don't have to cough the next days . 

M.

Just now, Marilyne said:

It's actually ok for breathing. It hurts when I move... and I just hope I don't have to cough the next days . 

M.

Yes I think you’re right, I fell down a storm drain once and cracked my ribs.  Coughing was painful.  Get well soon!

Sympathies. I've suffered multiple rib fractures so I know how painful it can be. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

No idea who U.G's creepy papyrologist is yet, but hard at work cracking the code. 

8 minutes ago, neverforget said:

, but hard at work cracking the code. 

Exactly!!!!! ......

Well it isn't Turing. Is it Marian Rejewski?

Is it Joseph Fourier?

48 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I'm in a hospital bed nursing 2 broken ribs

Unlucky matey; get better soon. Just on a technical note you can high five but with the horse isn't it technically a high one? I have no idea who the creepy guy is but I'm impressed that some of the inmates do......

Pete.

Just now, Marilyne said:

Or a high one to five...

That works. I'd stick to stroking, sugar lumps and apples. Probably safer.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

While we await a further clue from tankengine

I'd think that the last post I replied to would've been the kicker...

Also sorry to hear Marilyne, get well soon!

Zidane

P.S Uncle George's newest seems like a stereotypical 'mad scientist'.. unfortunately I am unsure of his identity.

14 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well it isn't Turing. Is it Marian Rejewski?

It isn’t.

15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is it Joseph Fourier?

Alas, no.