Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Not Heller, but you are a lot closer to his nationality. He wouldn't have qualified for the German Navy in Ww1, which was very much to their loss, but he was offered a commission with them during the second round of unpleasantness. 

His exploits during Ww2 have been widely publicised since. 

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Not Heller, but you are a lot closer to his nationality. He wouldn't have qualified for the German Navy in Ww1, which was very much to their loss, but he was offered a commission with them during the second round of unpleasantness. 

His exploits during Ww2 have been widely publicised since. 

It’s not the Sound of Music chap, is it? As played by Christopher Plummer in the film of the same name.

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

It’s not the Sound of Music chap, is it? As played by Christopher Plummer in the film of the same name.

It is indeed. Austro Hungary's top scoring submarine commander Georg von Trapp.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_von_Trapp

Image taken from here..

staticwixstatic.com

German%20036.jpg?hl=en_GB

Edited by neverforget

13 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

This chap has nothing to do with musicals. He is, however, linked to a musical composition often heard at sporting events.

2B1C715D-95BB-4F0B-828F-A09D8B4E0B8F.jpeg

IF I'm not mistaken, I have seen the movie about the use of his.. later experiments. It was quite good. Like throwing a pebble.
I've got no sleep, so I probably got it wrong

36 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

IF I'm not mistaken, I have seen the movie about the use of his.. later experiments. It was quite good. Like throwing a pebble.
I've got no sleep, so I probably got it wrong

Yes, Barnes Wallis. Image from Wikipedia.

Continuing the theme, here’s another boffin. But who is he ? ? ?

7AA56E30-18B6-4B29-98FA-3A2984EB691D.png

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Good one U.G. I had no idea he was involved in ww1. Every day a skool day here on the forum. 

Dam😁didn’t have BW anywhere on the radar, as NF says you learn something new everyday,got to be worth a double thumbs up UG (interesting article as well)

Edited by Knotty

45 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Thanks NF. This is just like old times, I’m pleased to say. Here’s an interesting article about Wallis:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rsbm.1981.0024

Thanks U.G. I must say it is nice to be back amongst the old crew again after our absence. 

Artists Rifles I see. 

The Wikipedia entry for Barnes Wallis suggests he worked on airships for the Royal Navy during WW1, but it could be wrong. That entry about me being the inventor of crinkle cut crisps is clearly fabricated. Has anyone come across a more detailed account (of Barnes Wallis' service rather than creating little ridges in thin slices of potato)?

Pete.

P.S. UG's boffin looks familiar which normally signals that I won't have heard of him when somebody else works out who it is.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

The Wikipedia entry for Barnes Wallis suggests he worked on airships for the Royal Navy during WW1, but it could be wrong. That entry about me being the inventor of crinkle cut crisps is clearly fabricated. Has anyone come across a more detailed account (of Barnes Wallis' service rather than creating little ridges in thin slices of potato)?

Pete.

P.S. UG's boffin looks familiar which normally signals that I won't have heard of him when somebody else works out who it is.

The article posted by notre oncle mentions his time with the Artists Rifles.

U.G's latest boffin looks a bit sporty to me, but like you say, that's probably a sure sign that he isn't 😁

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

The Wikipedia entry for Barnes Wallis suggests he worked on airships for the Royal Navy during WW1, but it could be wrong.

The article UG posted confirms the airship working, definitely worth a read as it goes into detail.

Your right about boffin2, I’ve seen the picture in the recent past few months, sure it was a tv programme, now trying to remember, and that’s where it becomes difficult😁

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

The article posted by notre oncle mentions his time with the Artists Rifles.

I completely overlooked that in my haste to make bad gags about potato snacks. If I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed.....

Thank you matey.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

sure it was a tv programme, now trying to remember,

Think I’ve an idea,will check in morning time for some shut eye.

11 hours ago, Knotty said:

Your right about boffin2, I’ve seen the picture in the recent past few months, sure it was a tv programme, now trying to remember, and that’s where it becomes difficult😁

More likely to have been a recent film.

At first I thought maybe a footballer, but he looks American somehow to me (and swmbo) His strange attire is throwing me; just can't make it out. Clerical perhaps?

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

At first I thought maybe a footballer, but he looks American somehow to me (and swmbo) His strange attire is throwing me; just can't make it out. Clerical perhaps?

The photograph is of our chap during his time at West Point.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The photograph is of our chap during his time at West Point.

Ah. Correct on one point then. 

Can't think of any outstanding American boffinesque achievements in Ww1, so I'm assuming whatever made him famous was post ww1 (he said, craftily attempting to tease another hint from the learned gentleman).

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Ah. Correct on one point then. 

Can't think of any outstanding American boffinesque achievements in Ww1, so I'm assuming whatever made him famous was post ww1 (he said, craftily attempting to tease another hint from the learned gentleman).

This chap entered West Point in 1916, and graduated early in 1918.  But yes, as with Barnes Wallis. his boffinery had to do with the Second war.

Thanks.👍

Hi Guys 

On me phone in M&S so don’t know when this will appear, it was a documentary on PBS America about the Manhattan Project, and they went through small snippets of biographies of key players but still can’t remember who it was.

Blimey, so many people involved in that I'm struggling to find anyone who fits the bill. I found this snippet about my home town quite interesting though.(Not that I understand it of course):

In Britain, Frisch and Rudolf Peierls at the University of Birmingham had made a breakthrough investigating the critical mass of uranium-235 in June 1939.[13] Their calculations indicated that it was within an order of magnitude of 10 kilograms (22 lb), which was small enough to be carried by a bomber of the day.[14] Their March 1940 Frisch–Peierls memorandum initiated the British atomic bomb project and its MAUD Committee,[15] which unanimously recommended pursuing the development of an atomic bomb.[14] In July 1940, Britain had offered to give the United States access to its scientific research,[16] and the Tizard Mission's John Cockcroft briefed American scientists on British developments. He discovered that the American project was smaller than the British, and not as far advanced.

14 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Continuing the theme, here’s another boffin. But who is he ? ? ?

Can't work out if anyone has answered this yet!........ but faily certain that it is Leslie Groves who was the director of the Manhatten Project

14 hours ago, Uncle George said:

A search of 'West Point US Graduated 1918' came up with Lieutenant General Leslie R. Groves Jr. Manhattan Project and that.

57 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

graduated early in 1918

He graduated in November 1918

EDIT: Beaten by 10 minutes, unfortunate for me.

Edited by tankengine888