Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

22 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

I'd think that the last post I replied to would've been the kicker...

So he was a football player? Pete should step in here. But I’m going with Arthur “Tubby” Allen (seen here on Wikipedia).

4215964B-9129-4630-8B05-97A2CB9EFDD7.jpeg

FFE64100-B174-4BF8-A6BD-3847F7A76A80.jpeg

@Marilyne

Sorry to hear about the ribs and can sympathise with your predicament having broke mine on numerous occasions particularly at work.

This chap is a dead ringer for one of my old inspectors who predictably  had the nickname ‘Fester’.

But its not Fester of course its Dilly Knox and I presume the Zimmermann Telegram

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

So he was a football player? Pete should step in here. But I’m going with Arthur “Tubby” Allen (seen here on Wikipedia).

4215964B-9129-4630-8B05-97A2CB9EFDD7.jpeg

FFE64100-B174-4BF8-A6BD-3847F7A76A80.jpeg

Nope... I didn't mean football btw. 'Tubby' is interesting nonetheless.. I'll give you an evaluation of all the hints..

An Officer of the 48th Btn wearing his ribbons... Photo was definitely taken before the war ended.

Zidane 

3 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

@Marilyne

Sorry to hear about the ribs and can sympathise with your predicament having broke mine on numerous occasions particularly at work.

This chap is a dead ringer for one of my old inspectors who predictably  had the nickname ‘Fester’.

But its not Fester of course its Dilly Knox and I presume the Zimmermann Telegram

Yes it is Dilly Knox. Image from here: 
https://yourdailyqueer.tumblr.com/post/188949726707/alfred-dillwyn-dilly-knox-deceased-gender

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes it is Dilly Knox. Image from here: 

Claimed that he did his best work in a hot bath where codes could easily be cracked in a steamy atmosphere

32 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Claimed that he did his best work in a hot bath where codes could easily be cracked in a steamy atmosphere

And a lover of priapic economist JMK.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

And a lover of priapic economist JMK.

I would imagine that as a Classics Scholar 'Dilly' Knox would have known exactly what you mean.

17 hours ago, Uncle George said:

While we await a further clue from tankengine, who is this rather sinister classical scholar and papyrologist ? ? ? (He is not Count Orlok).

034B2B65-5C16-42B4-9390-4C43A44944DF.jpeg

Wallace Budge, I think.

Well done Mr. Ilkley, and great find Uncle George. I never gave the Zimmerman telegram a thought.

Edited by neverforget

While we continue to ponder tankengine's seemingly unfathomable non-footballer, I thought you might enjoy this small diversion, if only for the wonderful photograph. 

Clues, apart from the obvious ones in the picture would be a type of bread, and that unmentionable event that is now 4 weeks or so behind us....20221227_202847.jpg.722aaa70c5bd694fb815dea18a35b934.jpg

32 minutes ago, healdav said:

Wallace Budge, I think.

Good thought but he’s been identified as Dilly Knox. Which just leaves the Joan of Arc Battalion-Officer DCM MM of tankengine.

“Clues, apart from the obvious ones in the picture would be a type of bread, and that unmentionable event that is now 4 weeks or so behind us....”

Stollen? A stollen bunker?

Just now, Uncle George said:

“Clues, apart from the obvious ones in the picture would be a type of bread, and that unmentionable event that is now 4 weeks or so behind us....”

Stollen? A stollen bunker?

Italian bread U.G.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Italian bread U.G.

Seeing that ciabatta is an Italian bread and can also mean ‘disrupt the enemy’, I’m guessing he’s Austrian counterintelligence bod and Russian spy Alfred Redl.

Edited by Uncle George

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Seeing that ciabatta is an Italian bread and can also mean ‘disrupt the enemy’, I’m guessing he’s Austrian counterintelligence bod Alfred Redl.

I like your style of thinking, Uncle George, but you're on the wrong track there. A mountain track would be more appropriate, and the bread, which is linked to the mountain is "a la cupola".

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I like your style of thinking, Uncle George, but you're on the wrong track there. A mountain track would be more appropriate, and the bread, which is linked to the mountain is "a la cupola".

How about Luis Trenker? Wiki tells us that, “From 1915 to 1918, he fought in the mountain war against Italy in the border fortress of Nauders. Later he fought in Trento. From 1916 he served as a mountain guide in the Dolomites. At the end of the war he had achieved the rank of Lieutenant. He would write 23 books based on his war experiences, the most important of which were ‘Fort Rocca Alta’ and ‘Berge in Flammen’ the latter of which was made into the 1931 film ‘Mountains on Fire’.”

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

How about Luis Trenker? Wiki tells us that, “From 1915 to 1918, he fought in the mountain war against Italy in the border fortress of Nauders. Later he fought in Trento. From 1916 he served as a mountain guide in the Dolomites. At the end of the war he had achieved the rank of Lieutenant. He would write 23 books based on his war experiences, the most important of which were ‘Fort Rocca Alta’ and ‘Berge in Flammen’ the latter of which was made into the 1931 film ‘Mountains on Fire’.”

Excellent work, and so close, but still not him. My man, along with 6 others under his command stormed a machine gun in the Dolomites and took several Italian prisoners. He and all of his men were decorated for their feat. The bread to which I referred was panettone. 

His plan of attack was certainly not cobbled together. 

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

While we continue to ponder tankengine's seemingly unfathomable non-footballer, I thought you might enjoy this small diversion, if only for the wonderful photograph. 

Excellent photo

25 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

How about Luis Trenker?

Well done Uncle G never got any where near that

18 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

An Officer of the 48th Btn wearing his ribbons... Photo was definitely taken before the war ended.

Best and final offer for this one is Thomas Francis Arnold

thomas francis arnold.png

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Excellent work, and so close, but still not him. My man, along with 6 others under his command stormed a machine gun in the Dolomites and took several Italian prisoners. He and all of his men were decorated for their feat. The bread to which I referred was panettone. 

His plan of attack was certainly not cobbled together. 

Is he Hans Schneeberger?

19 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Hans Schneeberger?

He isn't I'm afraid. The mountain he and his men stormed was the schimpke kuppe, also known as the panettone. 

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

He isn't I'm afraid. The mountain he and his men stormed was the schimpke kuppe, also known as the panettone. 

He is shoemaker and mountain guide Johann Forcher.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

He is shoemaker and mountain guide Johann Forcher.

Yes, well done. Screenshot_20221223-114013_Facebook.jpg.4215d800c18243e350e512d95b4ef445.jpg

Following Dilly, who’s this seemingly rather thoughtful, sensitive chap ? ? ? Soldier, teacher, “father”.

71530D61-D33A-469F-A7B2-3EF3E9C1E38D.jpeg

EDIT: Image from Wikipedia.

Edited by Uncle George

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

Best and final offer for this one is Thomas Francis Arnold

thomas francis arnold.png

Good guess.. You hit the nail! I tried to find a unique photo of him to confuse people! Quite a unique achievement having an MC, DCM and MM!

Here's one whose work you have definitely seen before.
image.png.b68245c4993b4d68441a1acc612678ce.png

Zidane

15 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Good guess.. You hit the nail! I tried to find a unique photo of him to confuse people! Quite a unique achievement having an MC, DCM and MM!

Took some finding used the Australian Virtual War Memorial searching 48th Div. Brave chap and survived the war.