Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Oh dear, well take it easy. Reminds me of the day I had my vasectomy. Driving home some idiot pulled out in front of and I ended up with a slightly buckled bonnet on my old Rover 2000 T.C. When I got home I had the bright idea of climbing up onto said bonnet to straighten it with a little jump, slipped, did the splits, and burst the stitches on my right hand gonad. Couldn't face the thought of going back to hospital, so employed some frozen peas, needle and thread, and with my debut effort at needlework effected some sort of repair. 

Photographs of my handiwork available upon request.

Anyway, I hope that cheered you up 😁

Blimey! DIY at it's best. (or would that be handicraft? I suppose it's in the quality and decorativeness of the stitching)

9 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Blimey! DIY at it's best. (or would that be handicraft? I suppose it's in the quality and decorativeness of the stitching)

Never mind the quality feel the width and all that.😁 In reality it was no big deal really, just half a dozen stitches. Nothing dropped out and it did heal, eventually, so the job was a good un. My car bonnet was never the same again though it has to be said.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I will give it a miss thank you, although don’t let me stop you sharing 😁

Wot he said......

Was the Rover 2000 the P6 or the SD1 Mr P? I worked for BL between '79 and '81 and had a soft spot for the former, especially with the larger engine.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Wot he said......

Was the Rover 2000 the P6 or the SD1 Mr P? I worked for BL between '79 and '81 and had a soft spot for the former, especially with the larger engine.

Pete.

It was the P6 Pete, a fantastic car. It was about the third car I ever owned, G reg, and cost me 60 quid with my Triumph 1800 as part exchange. I thought I had a decent photo of it somewhere, but after having a search this is the only one I could find. 20230124_170300.jpg.eac49d4600615b8a1f540132715b5803.jpg

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Is he the Gloucestershire Regiment poet F W Harvey?

Yes he is Gloster Reg. but sadly not Harvey. He would well have understood the line "All the worlds a stage, And all the men and women merely players....." A Liverpuldlian by birth a namesake and relative has been mentioned on this thread several times. Elementary deduction will bring you nearer to the answer

12 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Elementary deduction will bring you nearer to the answer

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is Guy Rathbone.

I was just about to type is he a Rathbone. honest, no really. Excellent work mon oncle and another good one Mr IR. Died at Kut it appears.

Pete.

Just now, Uncle George said:

He is Guy Rathbone.

Well done Uncle G it is. From the same family as the better known Basil but a fine actor apparently. The line is From As You Like it which apparently was one of Guys secialities. He was linked with Frank Benson who produced many Shakespeare plays befoe during and after the war and was involved in the formation of what has become the RSC. Say the Benson memorial last year which is in The Swan Theatre and names all the actors from the troupe who were known as the Bensonites. Guy is depicted in a large stained glass window playing the part of Amiens is AYLI

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Died at Kut it appears.

On the Bassra memorial I think

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

On the Bassra memorial I think

Yep, just looked him up. I fear not one I will be able to visit.

As usual; bringing up the rear I had got as far as Basil's brother John. Given another couple of hours I might have eventually got to Guy. Well done Uncle George. 

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Nothing dropped out and it did heal

Just catching back up and have decided that to give you the Kudos it deserved you would have to have used a treadle Singer😬

Good call UG and a nice find ilk r. , as they probably said to you Pete (they did to me!) must try harder😁

:w00t: Thought I'd put my years of experience sewing mailbags to better use for once.😉

Here's one that we don't seem to have had yet. Don't think it will be too long before someone nabs her though....20230124_111101.jpg.1b5ca8f4dc4ab6342da10b4f6dd93112.jpg

Ok let’s have a couple on the go, how about this chap who became a cause célèbre in his part of the country.

3E99AE98-3B2E-4DAE-8511-DBBD07A601DE.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok let’s have a couple on the go, how about this chap who became a cause célèbre in his part of the country.

3E99AE98-3B2E-4DAE-8511-DBBD07A601DE.jpeg

Entertainer?

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

:w00t: Thought I'd put my years of experience sewing mailbags to better use for once.😉

Here's one that we don't seem to have had yet. Don't think it will be too long before someone nabs her though....20230124_111101.jpg.1b5ca8f4dc4ab6342da10b4f6dd93112.jpg

I cannot unthink your earlier post and am going with seamstress, costumier, suffragette and fund-raiser Elspeth Phelps, Aka Elspeth Fox-Pitt.

Just now, Uncle George said:

I cannot unthink your earlier post and am going with seamstress, costumier, suffragette and fund-raiser Elspeth Phelps, Aka Elspeth Fox-Pitt.

😁

No, sorry. She was a schoolteacher. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Louise Thuliez?

Yes, no messing. Linked to Edith Cavell. Quite surprised she hasn't yet featured. 

There were many who performed resistance work in WWI or WW II, but far fewer were active in both conflicts. Louise Thuliez was one of them. Despite having been caught, condemned to death, and narrowly escaping a German firing squad during World War I, Thuliez volunteered again in World War II. The risks during World War I were undoubtedly high. Known internationally for her previous activities, the risks second time around were even higher.

Born in December 1881, she somehow survived until October 1966, dying in Paris as an award-winning writer. In both wars, she helped run an underground railroad helping escapers return to England via neutral territory. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Thuliez

35 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Not an entertainer although there is a music connection

Composer?

No not a composer, but involved with the industry through a tenuous link, that’s the Breaks

51 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Yes, no messing. Linked to Edith Cavell. Quite surprised she hasn't yet featured. 

Excellent post got nowhere near and well done @Uncle George

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

No not a composer, but involved with the industry through a tenuous link, that’s the Breaks

Hmmm. Intriguing capitalization :blink:

I'm wondering if there was a song written about him perhaps?