Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No nothing with regards songs. Blackpool and money are involved which finally ends in strange ways.

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

No nothing with regards songs. Blackpool and money are involved which finally ends in strange ways.

He is Frederick Rothwell Holt 

Ah, got him. Frederick Holt. Murdered Kathleen Breaks in Blackpool and was hanged in Strangeways. Generous clues John.

What happened there! Pipped at the post again.

U.G. The Hussain Bolt of W.I.T. 😁

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

What happened there! Pipped at the post again.

U.G. The Hussain Bolt of W.I.T. 😁

My next impression: Jesse Owens! [There’s always room for a ‘Blazing Saddles‘ reference.]

But you’re right - the clues were too generous😊

46 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is Frederick Rothwell Holt 

Indeed he is sorry for the delay engrossed in Silent Witness…..I reserve judgement😁
Just practicing with clues😁

Edited by Knotty

11 hours ago, Uncle George said:

And quick off the blocks after my last post

The clues there, he’s that Canadian sprinter, who crossed the pond and joined up in 1915, I can’t remember his name but it’s something like Eastridge or Eastham.

Looking for him as I send….

Morning, still searching

Edited by Knotty
Time lapse, had my sleep😁

17 hours ago, neverforget said:

Odid the splits, and burst the stitches on my right hand gonad. Couldn't face the thought of going back to hospital, so employed some frozen peas, needle and thread, and with my debut effort at needlework effected some sort of repair. 

I was just glued together.

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

The clues there, he’s that Canadian sprinter, who crossed the pond and joined up in 1915, I can’t remember his name but it’s something like Eastridge or Eastham.

Looking for him as I send….

Morning, still searching

Yes, Eldridge Eastman:

D1220E1A-FEE2-4EF8-BC20-A7F0B317E65E.jpeg

This image from here: 

https://twitter.com/northumbriaww1/status/371558784218697728

Edited by Uncle George

22 minutes ago, healdav said:

I was just glued together.

That sounds like a much better idea. 

Hi UG

At least my memories still ok, I remembered this chap from a talk we were given by a battlefield guide, he was quite animated about the stories of Tull, that were all over the press at the time of the “100 years” on celebrations, and was quick to point out that we had already taken coloured recruits from elsewhere. As he was ex-squaddie from the NE,and the DLI was his passion, I was chasing in that direction not the North. Fus. route.

Edited by Knotty

I'll post this one now, but I am off for my amber medication now for a couple of hours and there isn't always a very reliable signal, so forgive me if I don't reply straight away, though I will keep checking if I have a signal.

I was going to learn from Knotty about being overly generous with clues, and just say that he is somehow connected with WW1, but on second thoughts I will go a little further and tell you that he was an architect...

20230125_110351.jpg

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'll post this one now, but I am off for my amber medication now for a couple of hours and there isn't always a very reliable signal, so forgive me if I don't reply straight away, though I will keep checking if I have a signal.

I was going to learn from Knotty about being overly generous with clues, and just say that he is somehow connected with WW1, but on second thoughts I will go a little further and tell you that he was an architect...

20230125_110351.jpg

Walter Gropius?

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Walter Gropius?

Nay sir. My man did not see the end of the war.

No, my man was killed in 1915.

Newspaper distributor. 

Involved with a clandestine library publication. 

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Is he to do with La Libre Belgique?

Well spotted :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I’d say Victor Jourdain, but I see he died in 1918, not 1915.

You're getting warm. Definitely 1915, my man; October in fact. 

Edited by neverforget

Buried in Schaerbeek.

Bit of a ltecomer to this trhread but from the vast number of clues I presume that this is something to do with Gabrielle Petit. According to Wiki two others were executed for involvment  called Bodson and Smekens haven't found a photograph of either of them so I'll put both names forward

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Bit of a ltecomer to this trhread but from the vast number of clues I presume that this is something to do with Gabrielle Petit. According to Wiki two others were executed for involvment  called Bodson and Smekens haven't found a photograph of either of them so I'll put both names forward

Again, you are very, very close, but neither of those. Bear in mind my man's death was earlier.