Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

47 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Took some finding used the Australian Virtual War Memorial searching 48th Div. Brave chap and survived the war.

I don't doubt it! He's probably the least documented AUS MC, DCM, MM winner compared to Mattner and Ewen.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Déjà-vu all over again! Is he C.E.W. Bean?

Nope... but he did know him..

Zidane.

28 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

I don't doubt it! He's probably the least documented AUS MC, DCM, MM winner compared to Mattner and Ewen.

Nope... but he did know him..

Zidane.

Is he John Treloar?

26 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he John Treloar?

Nope... Fun fact, Bean wasn't a fan of him.

If you're a Dads Army fan and can remember a few lines then you have a hint to one of his medals..

'a wild and lonely place.. nothing but -- and ---... So they made them up in ---!'

Not sure if anyone will figure that line out (due to the character using it many times) but still.

Zidane.

50 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

a wild and lonely place.. nothing but -- and ---.

Ice and snow, did he have a Polar Medal pre 1914 issue

53 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

If you're a Dads Army fan and can remember a few lines then you have a hint to one of his medals..

I presume the medal is the Polar Medal

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ice and snow, did he have a Polar Medal pre 1914 issue

Knotty you just beat me

8 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Frank Hurley?

Too big of a hint.. that's my fault 

Good job! You got him and yes, the polar medal Pre1914

Zidane

22 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Following Dilly, who’s this seemingly rather thoughtful, sensitive chap ? ? ? Soldier, teacher, “father”.

71530D61-D33A-469F-A7B2-3EF3E9C1E38D.jpeg

Was the "father" bit something to do with medicine?

Ok, thanks.

22 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Following Dilly, who’s this seemingly rather thoughtful, sensitive chap ? ? ? Soldier, teacher, “father

Following 'Dilly' does this refer to another code breaker? If that is the case I will suggest that this is a very early photo of John Matthews Manly, professor of Eng. Lit. at Chicago Uni' expert on codes in Shakespeare and Chaucer who was part of the US Intelligence operation in 1917-1918

20 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Following 'Dilly' does this refer to another code breaker? If that is the case I will suggest that this is a very early photo of John Matthews Manly, professor of Eng. Lit. at Chicago Uni' expert on codes in Shakespeare and Chaucer who was part of the US Intelligence operation in 1917-1918

Not him, no. But we are looking for that sort of chap.

William (Wolf) Friedman?

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

William (Wolf) Friedman?

No but he and his wife looked upon my chap as something of a mentor.

On 20/01/2023 at 13:50, Uncle George said:

Following Dilly, who’s this seemingly rather thoughtful, sensitive chap ? ? ? Soldier, teacher, “father”.

Col Parker Hitt sometimes called the 'Father' of American cryptology. His wife Genevieve was also a codebreaker and arguably better at it than him. Women seemed to have played a significant part in US code breaking and included William Friedmans wfe Elizabeth.

17 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Col Parker Hitt sometimes called the 'Father' of American cryptology. His wife Genevieve was also a codebreaker and arguably better at it than him. Women seemed to have played a significant part in US code breaking and included William Friedmans wfe Elizabeth.

Yes indeed. “As a Senior Signal Officer with the AEF during World War I, Colonel Hitt oversaw the compilation of a highly effective code that replaced an awkwardly translated French coding system that was being used by American forces. He also supervised units that intercepted sensitive German communications with impressive results.”

https://www.nsa.gov/History/Cryptologic-History/Historical-Figures/Historical-Figures-View/Article/1621575/colonel-parker-hitt/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01611194.2022.2101404

AC83B74F-6882-4FE4-89B6-C7D88D54A838.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Several US cryptologists seem to have made studies of Shakespeare's works and the theory that the plays had been written by Bacon.

I rather like the response of Henry Stimson; when presented with information about a broken code he replied "gentlemen don't read other peoples mail". I would imagine that he must have had difficuly in reading parts of the New Testement

21 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Several US cryptologists seem to have made studies of Shakespeare's works and the theory that the plays had been written by Bacon.

Yes, that struck me too.

25 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

I would imagine that he must have had difficuly in reading parts of the New Testement

But remember Numbers 13: 1-2.

16 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

But remember Numbers 13: 1-2.

The land of milk and honey..........Seek and ye shall find (Matthew 7-7)......sadly i'm still seeking

42 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Ecclesiastes 9:10

But care needs to be taken Matthew 5:30

@Uncle George we may need to be careful with this thread or there will be Act 7:54 amongst the admins followed by Exodus 9:15 which sounds particularly unpleasant

4 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

@Uncle George we may need to be careful with this thread or there will be Act 7:54 amongst the admins followed by Exodus 9:15 which sounds particularly unpleasant

Indeed. We are going way off topic. We must focus on GW matters, and on nothing else. Psalm 1 1-6 refers.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Indeed. We are going way off topic. We must focus on GW matters, and on nothing else. Psalm 1 1-6 refers

Amen