Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

2 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Wounded on The Marne in 1914 and died in 1916 but it was his graphology skills that had diabolical results.

du clam.png

Armand du Paty de Clam
Du_Paty_de_Clam.jpg

50 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Armand du Paty de Clam
Du_Paty_de_Clam.jpg

Indeed it is TE888 or to give him his full name, Charles Armand Auguste Ferdinand Mercier du Paty de Clam, who as a captain in French Military Intelligence claimed that the famous 'bordereau' taken from the waste bin of the German Military Attache Maximillian von Schwartkoppen, had been written by Alfred Dreyfus. One of the biggest 'fit up jobs' of all time saw the unfortunate Dreyfus banished to 'Devils Island until his inocence could finally be proved and the real culprit ferdinand Esterhazy unmasked. 

Du Paty was wounded on the Marne and died of his wounds, von Schwartzkoppen commanded a division on the Eastern Front but died during the war whilst Dreyfus fought as an artillery officer and survived. 'The rat' Esterhazy when he realised his little game was up hoofed it across The Channel and lived in Harpenden where he died in 1923.

Great stuff TE888 and well done...award yourself the Legion d Honnour for your efforts

hi guys, 

I have one for you... I was out walking this WE, a little 50Km training for the upcoming Kennedy-march (not a clue)

We passed Hoegaarden and stumbled upon this gentleman who did certainly not travel there to try out the famous Hoegaarden beer (although he might have had some)

1815104772_Capturedcran2022-04-03205303.png.5422b4594d72ded2dd7bc8375d6cfeae.png

Eventually he went on his merry way ... in a very particular way ... 

Who is he?? 

M;

Hi M

My only references to a memorial in the Hoegarrden area brings up this, so I will not divulge name😁

John

A6773BDE-D1DC-4BDB-81AD-1C08A18F15F9.jpeg

That’s the fellow, drowned when he took on a flight of 9 planes and was downed in the Channel, his body was washed ashore and he is buried in the Adinkerke Military Cemetery.

The plane in the photo is the one referred to in the article, it shows it being looked over by German Officers.

D****ed... it was too easy ... 

well done, Team!! 

M.

• 1 month later...

Definitely been done before but what the hell,A6D19600-897D-448E-A9F3-00DFC2084B92.jpeg.dd11b800b716cf28b2fbb2937347f83a.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

we've been quiet for the last weeks... 

OK... Australian !! 

senior officer . 

That's what we can see from the pic.... any clues???

M.

19 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

we've been quiet for the last weeks... 

OK... Australian !! 

senior officer . 

That's what we can see from the pic.... any clues???

M.

“Then if you have nothing to say, I have a hell of a lot to say.  This Battalion has never been a battalion, but I am now going to make it one.  Cornish ! you will be my Adjutant.  We will start all over again, and the first Battalion Order issued will be No.1  Take this down: ‘The Battalion will move off in the morning for a destination unknown,’ etc. Get the runners busy immediately and have this order distributed.”

Upon taking command of ---- Battalion and meeting the officers who sat in silence upon him walking into the room.

Decorated 3 times for valour.

13 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

“Then if you have nothing to say, I have a hell of a lot to say.  This Battalion has never been a battalion, but I am now going to make it one.  Cornish ! you will be my Adjutant.  We will start all over again, and the first Battalion Order issued will be No.1  Take this down: ‘The Battalion will move off in the morning for a destination unknown,’ etc. Get the runners busy immediately and have this order distributed.”

Upon taking command of ---- Battalion and meeting the officers who sat in silence upon him walking into the room.

Decorated 3 times for valour.

Maurice Wilder Nelligan is the man in the photograph. I presume that Cornish is Leslie Francis Cornish. I wonder if the latter war related to Gerald Warre Cornish who wrote St Paul From the Trenches which was written at the front and based upon St Pauls Letters to the Corinthians

2 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Maurice Wilder Nelligan is the man in the photograph. I presume that Cornish is Leslie Francis Cornish. I wonder if the latter war related to Gerald Warre Cornish who wrote St Paul From the Trenches which was written at the front and based upon St Pauls Letters to the Corinthians

Good answer. I'll check later on ancestry as I have a subscription. I now have this bloke for the challenge.. that's if anyone wants to put one forward themselves.Screenshot_2022-06-01-08-35-54-18.jpg.5b032f03b7e10666607203b3178e6dbd.jpg

On 01/06/2022 at 06:25, ilkley remembers said:

They share no relation, probably related if I go back to 1066 but no evident relation. Warre-Cornish seems to come from nobility.. 

4 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

They share no relation, probably related if I go back to 1066 but no evident relation. Warre-Cornish seems to come from nobility.. 

It was just an idle thought but thanks for looking at the geneology

Your man is Raymond Lionel Leane, I think

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

It was just an idle thought but thanks for looking at the geneology

Your man is Raymond Lionel Leane, I think

Well I have nothing better to do but geneology..

Brigadier [General] Leane eh? You're correct.
Time to wait for someone else to post.

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok haven’t been on for a while, WIT…

3A4512E5-B39B-4FFA-B7BE-2E9E3EA53DE7.jpeg

Seyit Ali Çabuk, reenacting himself carrying 3 shells to defend the Dardenelles in March 1915.

Ok have a go at this young lady, and her claim to fame….

B55C8E7B-361F-4650-9C7B-9E70BB0BDD0F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok have a go at this young lady, and her claim to fame….

B55C8E7B-361F-4650-9C7B-9E70BB0BDD0F.jpeg

Well shi..welp.
I don't know who this is.
Hints.. I beg! 
At this point, I'm just watching Sink the Bismarck from 1960, watching the Hood getting fired upon... and it just got sunk... short while it lasted.

I’m lucky enough to have had my GF serve on the Hood pre war, have a few photos and his tally band.

Clue, American by birth

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’m lucky enough to have had my GF serve on the Hood pre war, have a few photos and his tally band.

Clue, American by birth

Grandfather serve on Hood? Very nice. My great grandfather and his 4 brothers enlisted for the 39-45 war... All came back alive, units were...
Corporal Vincent McNamara 2/7th Field Regiment [El Alamein, Tarakan, Borneo]
Gunner John McNamara 2/7th Field Regiment [Borneo, Tarakan, Darwin]
Private Leo McNamara 109th Australian General Hospital [Great Grandfather, only Alice Springs]
Able Seaman Anthony McNamara, Multiple Ships [Notably HMAS Torrens, Canberra]
Private Thomas McNamara, Said to be Paratrooper [Unknown where he served]
Anthony McNamara was on HMAS Canberra on August 9th, 1942 at Savo Islands where he had an experience and a half....
Sinking of HMAS Canberra in Battle of Savo Island | Australian War Memorial 
File:Burning HMAS Canberra (D33) with US destroyers on 9 August 1942.jpg -  Wikimedia Commons

ALSO, still no idea who that is.

He was Rangefinder on HMS Hood, piccy of him collecting rum ration (as well as my avatar), joined in 1914 and in WW1 his first ship and action was onboard HMS Agamemnon up the Dardanelles, then served on various cruisers and a couple of battleships after. He was in the navy until “pensioned” out in July 39, only to rejoin in Sept at the start of WW2. Killed in action on the armed merchant cruiser HMS Voltaire in 1941.

The young lady was a first for a couple of reasons but not for the USA.

0CE207BA-39FD-43BD-B711-E774F31A9FB5.jpeg

4 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

geneology

2 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

geneology

pedantic (I know wrong thread! :whistle:)

But it is genealogy 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy

14 minutes ago, jonbem said:

pedantic (I know wrong thread! :whistle:)

I will right it out 10 times

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy

genealogy