Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Cheers Pete. You're a gentleman and a scholar. 😊

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

"World War I. The 6th Marine Regiment was first organized at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, on 11 July 1917 under the command of Medal of Honor holder Colonel Albertus W. Catlin. ... The "Marine" Brigade entered the trenches of the Toulon Sector near Verdun in March 1918, where it suffered its first combat casualties".

and for those who want more, read Catlin's "with the help of god and a few marines" ... fascinating! 

Thanks Marilyne 

On 22/12/2021 at 21:58, Fattyowls said:

Aymeric, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. I suspect that I am the anglo-saxon responsible for the questionable spelling. I became interested in your great great grandfather through the book 'The Price of Glory' by Alaistair Horne, the standard text in English about Verdun. Reading it 30 years ago sparked a long term interest in Verdun and the French army which I share with a few people on the forum. I may have misrepresented the spelling by misreading the name in the book; anything that has a cedille usually causes me problems, thanks for the correction.

I have long believed that the offensive either side of Rhiems/Reims was more complex than is represented in accounts in English. Unfortunately there is a lack of detailed research available which might challenge the traditional veiw. Your views are very interesting as a consequence.

Merci et Joyeux Noel,

Pete.

Hello, sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.

Interesting book, I think I'll try to find It.

Don't worry about the mispelling, It is quite a french things to correct people on spelling. 

About the lack details, one statistic is that there was no biographical work on General Nivelle before 2013! It is precisely this book that changed my view of the events of 1917. I had the chance to meet the author and he seemed to me to be a particularly serious and methodical person. It should be noted that as a Frenchman it is sometimes a little difficult to read, because the writing style is more scientific than literary, I do not know if the work has been translated and if it is also the case.
The book in question is this one: "Nivelle: L'Inconnu du Chemin des Dames" (Nivelle the unknown of the Chemin des Dames).

Happy new year !

Aymeric

A Royal Fusilier, one of Kitcheners men to begin with, whose account of a mutiny led to accolades for one Yorkshire born soldier. 

james norman hall 2.PNG

I have his book I R, so I will not divulge his name yet, but to add to the clues, he was born in a battleship class😁

Thank you @Knotty looks like you have got him 

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

he was born in a battleship class

He certainly was. 

But for anyone else here is another photograph taken in 1918

james norman hall 3.png

22 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

A Royal Fusilier, one of Kitcheners men to begin with, whose account of a mutiny led to accolades for one Yorkshire born soldier. 

Another clue, it will help identify the mutiny

Artocarpus altilis

bread fruit.png

wow... 

difficult... a quick google search told me that this is breadfruit ... and breadfruit is associated with the mutiny on the Bounty... has our man written a book about this??

James Norman Hall? 

He was an american on vacation in the UK in 1914, posed as Canadian and served as machine gunner in the RF... was kicked out when they found out he was a yank! Born in Iowa... Iowa-class battleships serve in WWII... 

or am I completely barking up the wrong (bread)tree???? 

M. 

Edited by Marilyne

4 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

difficult... before going further... a quick google search told me that this is breadfruit ... and breadfruit is associated with the mutiny on the Bounty... has our man written a book about this??, or am I completely barking up the wrong (bread)tree???

There is nothing wrong with your logic at all and follow this train of thought and you will identify him. Another clue

mutiny on the bounty.png

I read your post Marilyne and replied to it but don't think that I have seen the edited version

Ed

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

James Norman Hall? 

He was an american on vacation in the UK in 1914, posed as Canadian and served as machine gunner in the RF... was kicked out when they found out he was a yank! Born in Iowa... Iowa-class battleships serve in WWII... 

or am I completely barking up the wrong (bread)tree???? 

M. 

@Marilyn Yes seen it now and you are spot on it is James Norman Hall who had the distinction (possibly unique) of serving in the armed forces of 3 different countries during the war.

His British service record exists on line and shows his address as Colfax Iowa (hence @Knotty's Battleship class. He wrote a book about his exploits with the Royal Fusiliers called 'Kitcheners Mob' and returned from the US to France as a journalist later joining the French airforce.

The photo in the car was taken when he was captured in May 1918 suffering a broken nose and two broken ankles. 

He wrote the Bounty books with Charles Nordoff another WW1 pilot.

The 1935 film starred Charles Laughton as Capt. Bligh who had served in the Huntingdonshire Cycle Batt, during WW1 and who was born in Scarborough in the Yorkshire Coast

Well done, Marilyne excellent detective work

james norman hall 4.png

Edited by ilkley remembers

That is both a really good subject and a very impressive bit of clue following. Thanks gang.

Pete.

On 07/01/2022 at 14:58, Lacombe said:

Happy new year !

And to you Aymeric. By coincidence I ordered a book in English about the Nivelle offensive which I'm looking forward to reading. The book you mention is very interesting too, but as you know my French is so poor I couldn't read it. Both myself and others on the forum interested in the French army would like to have your input. What I think I will do is to start a separate thread to encourage discussion; I will tag you so you will be able to see it.

It is really good to have you on the forum.

Pete.

On 09/01/2022 at 20:32, Fattyowls said:

And to you Aymeric. By coincidence I ordered a book in English about the Nivelle offensive which I'm looking forward to reading. The book you mention is very interesting too, but as you know my French is so poor I couldn't read it. Both myself and others on the forum interested in the French army would like to have your input. What I think I will do is to start a separate thread to encourage discussion; I will tag you so you will be able to see it.

It is really good to have you on the forum.

Pete.

Thank you, I'm glad to be here and very curious about non-french opionion about WW1 French Army and WW1 in general, so thank you for creating that seperate thread.

Wich book did you ordered?

Don't worry, hope one day, we will have an english translation.

Aymeric.

On 09/01/2022 at 20:32, Fattyowls said:

By coincidence I ordered a book in English about the Nivelle offensive which I'm looking forward to reading.

David Murphy's "Breaking Point"??? 

if yes, you're in for a treat... well written book! 

M.

14 hours ago, Marilyne said:

David Murphy's "Breaking Point"??? 

22 hours ago, Lacombe said:

book

Exactement mon Lt. Colonel. I'll start a new thread for discussions with Aymeric and various other interested parties.

I'm currently digitising photos from 40 years ago and will hopefully be able to post some when I get to the negatives of various battlefield visits. If the ones I took at college are anything to go by you will be very very angry with the technique, composition, exposure etc etc; in fact everything about them. I used to use the excuse that I was using a Russian camera with production values more suited to Soviet armoured vehicles; I'm pretty sure it was proof against most NATO anti-tank weapons of the 70's. However creating massive tiff files from 25 ASA transparencies leaves me nowhere to hide. The slides are also a habitat, but not in a good way.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Came across this photograph (somewhat improved) which shows crew members aboard a 'Q Ship' on patrol in the North Sea. The question is can you hazard a guess as to the identity of the master mariner sat on the right? 

joseph conrad 2.png

Edited by ilkley remembers

1 hour ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

Joseph Conrad

Spot on Alan it is Joseph Conrad. The photo is taken from a book by John Sutherland called 'At Sea with Joseph Conrad' who was the captain of a Q ship called Ready. Apparently Conrad spent 10 days on patrol and manned one of the guns, although, he never fired in in anger.

Conrad was of course one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century and during the war wrote mainly for magazines and journals, although, he did write one war themed book the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Anyway, Alan, well done for spotting the great man

50 minutes ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

Interesting thread- Can't do any of the others!

Don't worry about it Alan, most of the rest of us can't either. You'll fit right in.

Pete.

On 14/03/2018 at 12:33, Guest said:

It's Danilo, Crown Prince of Montenegro- sometime leader of Montenegrin forces in the Balkan Wars and big one from 1914-1918. Alas, I was daft enough to opt for a course of "The Great Powers and the Balkans 1908-1914" while at the LSE-  Just how exceptionally dull matters such as the Sanjak of Novibazar Railway Scheme, the foreign policy of Count Aerenthal, the Greek struggle in Macdonia, the struggle for Scutari, the Mission of Count Hoyos, etc,etc- can be  still haunts me after more than 40 years.

Does that mean you can recommend a good book about the occupation of Scutari in 1913? Preferably with pictures of the Royal Marine Band!?

aim

Surely no one gets this!
zoom_1bb.jpg
Good luck... You'll need it, unless you already know who he is.