Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

You may recall that Willie Whitelaw accused the Labour Party of going around stirring up apathy. In the same way I find myself in the paradoxical position of facing a tsunami of indifference.

Not indifference,   UG,   I'm trying for a  Cossack /Cavalry  Feldwebel or Vakhmistr with the full house of the Cross and medals of of St George.

Is he Kusma Krjutschkow of 4th Don Cossacks ?   Admittedly,  The only image I can find of K. K, shows him light in the medal department and widely over supplied with hair. 

I took one look at him, thought about the moustache and said uncle Joe. I wondered if it was a propaganda effort to invent a heroic past. Completely wrong of course but interesting thought process for me at least.

Pete.

Perhaps not Uncle Joe, but maybe one of his mates Semyon Mikhalovich Budyonny?
MB

A Russian cavalryman with a moustache lush enough to put Joseph Stalin’s to shame!

He was awarded his first St. George Cross 4th Cl. for an attack on a German supply column near Brzezina (and later stripped of it for punching a Sgt. Major). He then went on to be awarded the St. George Cross for a second time for his part in the battle of Van. Then received the St. George Cross, 3rd Cl. fighting the Turks near Mendelij. After which he received the St. George Cross 2nd Cl. Operating behind Ottoman lines and before the war ended, was awarded a St. George Cross 1st Cl. for capturing a group of Turkish prisoners.

Semyon Mikhalovich Budyonny was certainly a colourful character and a brave (old school) cavalry officer - but always made sure that he remained on the right side of Stalin! Unfortunately he ended up getting promoted way above his ability (becoming a Marshal of the Soviet Union in 1935). During the Second World War, his failings as a senior military commander were brutally exposed at Kiev where his entire army got encircled by the Germans.

MB

5EE4F376-9236-46E3-A3EA-96F51BBFE2BB.jpeg

Edited by KizmeRD

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2018 at 21:34, David Ridgus said:

Instructive as always Pete, but who the heck was 'the shadowy figure of d'Alencon'. The only Alencon I'd ever heard of was Elizabeth I's 'frog'

David

He was my great great grandfather and his full name was Audemard d'Alançon de Fazende. I don't know why anglo-saxons wrote it "Alenson" hahaha. Don't confuse Alançon with Alençon. The Duke of Alençon was a Valois relative. Alançon with an "a" comes from a french southern noble family, there's no links between them. 

The truth is that the failure of the offensive is more complicated than it seems. Political pressures had a lot to do with it. A telling example is the counting of the French dead and wounded in the offensive, which was completely falsified (with the dead and wounded being counted twice, as was pointed out in an article in the NY Times at the time). Nivelle's appointment was not unanimous and many politicians and soldiers did everything they could to have him and his staff dismissed, even if it meant sabotaging his offensive.

Aymeric

ps : If you're wondering how I went to this forum, I found that topic thanks to my researches I'm making on my ancestors

23 hours ago, Lacombe said:

He was my great great grandfather and his full name was Audemard d'Alançon de Fazende.

Aymeric, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. I suspect that I am the anglo-saxon responsible for the questionable spelling. I became interested in your great great grandfather through the book 'The Price of Glory' by Alaistair Horne, the standard text in English about Verdun. Reading it 30 years ago sparked a long term interest in Verdun and the French army which I share with a few people on the forum. I may have misrepresented the spelling by misreading the name in the book; anything that has a cedille usually causes me problems, thanks for the correction.

I have long believed that the offensive either side of Rhiems/Reims was more complex than is represented in accounts in English. Unfortunately there is a lack of detailed research available which might challenge the traditional veiw. Your views are very interesting as a consequence.

Merci et Joyeux Noel,

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about this chap recently. A much decorated officer who in 1914 refused elevation to the peerage.

slatin.png

the first WIT of 2022 !!!! 

HAPPY NEW YEAR and happy huntings... 

... and I have no clue who this might be... 

M.

• Admin

Who is this, how might history have been different if circumstances had allowed? 

(photo from vintageedition website) 

1B0DB8C4-E8E5-46AA-85C6-A6194E7E2226.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Who is this, how might history have been different if circumstances had allowed? 

(photo from vintageedition website) 

1B0DB8C4-E8E5-46AA-85C6-A6194E7E2226.jpeg

Probably too obvious? The Grand Duchess Anastasia?

• Admin

No it’s not her. 

Michelle, is that Princess Marie Alexandra Victoria of Edinburgh, who was too posh to marry the future king George of precious memory and shacked up with the king of Romania instead?

• Admin

No, but you’re on the right track. 

After my self imposed time away from the Forum and playing catch up, this young lady is fairly easy for me as her picture could be found in buildings associated with my employer (Dudley MBC) & Himley Hall to name one, she is the Countess of Dudley, sadly killed in a plane crash in 1936

https://www.ornaverum.org/family/friends/rosemary-millicent-ward.html

22 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Reading about this chap recently. A much decorated officer who in 1914 refused elevation to the peerage.

slatin.png

I'll add a second photo of this chap and give you another clue. In his homeland he was a mere leutnant but in Britain he was a Major-General. Who is he and why did he turn down the offer of a peerage?

slatin 2.png

• Admin
3 hours ago, Knotty said:

After my self imposed time away from the Forum and playing catch up, this young lady is fairly easy for me as her picture could be found in buildings associated with my employer (Dudley MBC) & Himley Hall to name one, she is the Countess of Dudley, sadly killed in a plane crash in 1936

https://www.ornaverum.org/family/friends/rosemary-millicent-ward.html

Correct, one time love interest of Edward, Prince of Wales. If they had been allowed to marry, things would have been rather different succession wise I imagine. 

4 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

I'll add a second photo of this chap and give you another clue. In his homeland he was a mere leutnant but in Britain he was a Major-General. Who is he and why did he turn down the offer of a peerage?

slatin 2.png

Is that Allenby's predecessor? 

gettyimages-3289684-2048x2048.jpg.ab11bb8caa8fdb2179592db56be77fab.jpg

Edited by michaeldr
edit to add pic.

3 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

why did he turn down the offer of a peerage?

I am anxious to learn more of this aspect since my reading of the web (for what it's worth -_-) suggests otherwise

see He declined the offer of a minor colonial governorship, and was denied the peerage he expected. Accepting a baronetcy in 1920, Wingate had also to face the fact that the British government, and those he considered his friends within it, had turned their backs on him. [given here https://reed.dur.ac.uk/xtf/view?docId=ark/32150_s1f4752g79m.xml]

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I am anxious to learn more of this aspect since my reading of the web (for what it's worth -_-) suggests otherwise

see He declined the offer of a minor colonial governorship, and was denied the peerage he expected. Accepting a baronetcy in 1920, Wingate had also to face the fact that the British government, and those he considered his friends within it, had turned their backs on him. [given here https://reed.dur.ac.uk/xtf/view?docId=ark/32150_s1f4752g79m.xml]

A good shot and near the target, Wingate and this man knew each other well. Another image by 'Spy' and from Vanity Fair.

slatin 3.png

HaHa!  I have him.  It's the "L'Uomo del Nilo"  himself,  Major-General Rudolf Anton Carl Freiherr von Slatin.  What a man.  They should make another film about him,  this time in English.    

It was the "Spy" image  Ilkleyremembers that gave me the clue.  Looked uncommonly like General Gordon in the left hand corner ,  So looked at the Wikipedia page for the Mahdist War,  and the rest is history.  Lovely WIT,  btw. Must have been rough having someone that looked  so much like "Kaiser Bill"  in the mess though. 

8 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Major-General Rudolf Anton Carl Freiherr von Slatin

Spot on, it is the well travelled and much decorated Rudolf Slatin friend of both ‘Chinese’ Gordon and Kitchener. An Austrian citizen who never got beyond the rank of reserve lieutenant in his own country but was a Major General in the Anglo-Egyptian Army. Kitchener thought so highly of his administrative skills that at the beginning of the war he contacted him via an intermediary and asked him to return to Britain to help with the raising of the new armies. Slavin who was living in Austria refused on the grounds that his first loyalty was to the Austrian Emperor. This was despite the offer of a peerage. Kitchener also ensured that his army pension continued to be paid throughout the war.

Well done Gunner

18 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

A good shot and near the target, Wingate and this man knew each other well. Another image by 'Spy' and from Vanity Fair.

:doh:

Ah well ..... 

I do like the Spy image, and looking at the top LH corner, then I wonder if this was Spy's too

franciswingate.jpg.1d2a1799ae19bd3046b633c30597d2b9.jpg

I look forward to learning the correct answer to your puzzle - well done GH

Edited by michaeldr
to add congrats.