Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

People might be surprised that it says this on his Medal Rolls Index Card:

GWFD.jpg.fd13dbe3f0f17026c480b8ea27352b3b.jpg

The word in parenthesis almost looks like it should read "indistinguishable"! as it almost is. :whistle:

It's ineligible, so I can't tell what it's supposed to be. 🙄

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

It's ineligible, so I can't tell what it's supposed to be. 🙄

He was ineligible for medals, which might surprise people as he was killed in action.

Curiouser and curiouser 😊

well well, it's been busy around here while I was running around Slovenia and the Hurtgen Forest... 

if we're still talking about a Sherwood Forester international player who died in the war, one name I could come up with it William (Tommy) Fiske... 

And before you ask... I just googled around a little bit, so if I'm "completely beside the plate" it's quite normal... 

M.

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

well well, it's been busy around here while I was running around Slovenia and the Hurtgen Forest... 

if we're still talking about a Sherwood Forester international player who died in the war, one name I could come up with it William (Tommy) Fiske... 

And before you ask... I just googled around a little bit, so if I'm "completely beside the plate" it's quite normal... 

M.

No. My man may have played amateur sport but it isn't relevant.

I think if you solve the riddle of how?/where?/when? an officer could be killed in action and still be ineligible for medals it should become a lot easier.  He is listed in SDGW. There is a WFA pension card. There is an entry in the Registers of Soldiers' Effects. He is also listed in another Casualty List which is perhaps, surprising.

Probably of no help at all. He was of Scottish descent for at least two generations, but his German sounding name was of Danish origin.

RM

Edited by rolt968

30 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I think if you solve the riddle of how?/where?/when? an officer could be killed in action and still be ineligible for medals it should become a lot easier. 

RM

Serving in Ireland?

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Serving in Ireland?

My thought too. Looking at those killed in the Easter Rising. 

Lives of the First World War offers us Captain Frederick Christian Dietrichsen,  Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment killed during the Battle of Mount Street Bridge, Dublin, 1916. Thanks NF.

Edited by Gunner Hall

2 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Lives of the First World War offers us Captain Frederick Christian Dietrichsen,  Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment killed during the Battle of Mount Street Bridge, Dublin, 1916. Thanks NF.

Pipped me to the post 😁

Just found him here :Indeed, these Sherwood Foresters had, in some instances, demonstrated considerable 
affinity with Ireland. One of the first English officers killed, Frederick Dietrichsen, 
had married a Dublin woman" 

in this document

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EjylUCGs4Fxd1V3pq8O5kl8GuC1Bz5Q-/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EjylUCGs4Fxd1V3pq8O5kl8GuC1Bz5Q-/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Pipped me to the post 😁

Just found him here :Indeed, these Sherwood Foresters had, in some instances, demonstrated considerable 
affinity with Ireland. One of the first English officers killed, Frederick Dietrichsen, 
had married a Dublin woman" 

in this document

Correct.

Captain Frederick Christian Dietrichsen, adjutant 2/7 (Robin Hood) Sherwood Foresters. Nottingham barrister. His wife came from Dublin. The married in Ireland in 1910. Even more tragically she was in Dublin with their children at the time of his death. She was there to be safe from Zeppelin raids. They had met earlier in the day. I believe he did not know she was in Dublin as she and the children had originally gone somewhere else for safety.

He is listed in the Ireland, World War 1 Casualties. There is what looks like a well researched family tree in ancestry where the Danish connection was in the 18th century.

Died from gun shot wound, instantaneous, at Haddington Road, aged 33.

We don't appear to have had this gentleman as yet.20211014_203057.jpg.aacfa75b178b58a35895d41684629f8c.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Born in Poland. His father, who was a General, was also born, and died in Poland.

Decorated cavalry officer. 

Edited by neverforget

2 minutes ago, jonbem said:

No, his cavalry service was in WW1, and his decoration was iron cross second class. He was killed before WW2.

He had a brother who was also a cavalryman, though he wasn't decorated as such. 

Born into an Aristocratic family.

Cousin was a Field Marshall 

I’m going say Lothar Von Richthofen, he fits the bill,  born in Warsaw, like his brother, the Red Baron, he was a cavalry man to start with and cousin to General Field Marshal Wolfram Von Richthofen. Killed in an flying accident 1922.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_von_Richthofen

If it is, where did picture eminate from? It looks to be taken after he suffered his head injuries (broken nose) in March ‘18, when he crashed his badly mauled plane.

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’m going say Lothar Von Richthofen, he fits the bill,  born in Warsaw, like his brother, the Red Baron, he was a cavalry man to start with and cousin to General Field Marshal Wolfram Von Richthofen. Killed in an flying accident 1922.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_von_Richthofen

If it is, where did picture eminate from? It looks to be taken after he suffered his head injuries (broken nose) in March ‘18, when he crashed his badly mauled plane.

No fooling you squire.😁 Hats off to you. I was hoping for a longer run with him but you've nailed him straight away. Well played.

40 victories makes you wonder how much more of a prominent figure he would have been without his more illustrious brother.

Another sportsman. I think he should be easy to identify. Again I have cropped the photo.

GWFWiT.jpg.860a6d5a7aa795120c5a35e97d89a212.jpg

Cricketer, I believe played for my home county.