Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I've been working on a hunch for the last couple of hours but no breakthroughs as yet. Probably barking up the wrong tree as usual in any case. 🤔

VC, other than that Im getting stuck on clues.

Edited by Knotty

That was my hunch, but considering he didn't see action I was thinking pre ww1 in Africa.

Well I might not have got very far with him but at least I haven't been completely wasting my time then 😊

Yes, that did it. John Williams; VC winner at Rorkes Drift. I had been looking at the Boer war. His picture is very different though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_(VC)

As an aside; whilst searching through the details of the recipients I came across the tragic case of another Rorkes Drift VC winner. Sickened me the way that the religious community treated him after his death. Shame on them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jones_(VC)

Edited by neverforget

Got him Steve👍
The picture is taken from this site http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/vc/williams.htm  I was surprised of the number of images of him through the years, especially in SWB uniform of WW1, mind you he was a recruiter so to be expected.

Yes I did read about Jones, a not a surprising decision, we have a similar burial over at Hanbury for a WW1 officer.
I also feel it is interesting that the top brass at the time didn’t want to give out the VC’s out to the officers as they “were only doing what was expected”, and that was levelled directly at Chard and Bromhead. (Have a quick Wiki at Bromhead).

Good afternoon UG

First observation he is in one of the German Hussar Regiments……now the hard bit identification😁

“If you want to get ahead, get a hat.” This chap clearly embraced this piece of sagely advice. Another way to get ahead would be to engineer a moody adoption process.

Looks a bit like M. Von R in his younger horsepower days. Emphasis on the words 'a bit'. If I can find a good photo of his ears it might help......

Pete.

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Looks a bit like M. Von R in his younger horsepower days. Emphasis on the words 'a bit'. If I can find a good photo of his ears it might help......

Pete.

Yes, that’s the chap. Joachim Rippentrop, German Ambassador to this country in the late 30s, German Foreign Secretary during the Second War, alleged lover of Wallis Simpson and Champagne salesman extraordinaire. He engineered his adoption by his aristocratic Aunt which enabled him to use the honorific ‘von’ (much to old Adolf’s contempt, I would imagine).

Image from a YouTube film by Mark Felton, the subject of which is the attached - too easy for a WiT, I think, but an extra point if one is needed. He is not a young Hirohito.

1B20C798-0A18-44CF-85E9-E5D9D5109A1A.jpeg

I knew that adoption clue rang a bell.  I followed the Beau Sabreur clue to  Frank Reicher, as General de Beaujolais, as it plainly isn't Gary Cooper....

Mon oncle, Mr K

I'm hoping that nobody will notice that I thought the cat in the hat was not in fact J von R but M von R, a well known aviator who appeared under his nickname in cartoons by a Mr Charles Schultz of America. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Pete.

P.S. Is your last one that well known failed farmer H. Himmler?

Edited by Fattyowls

10 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Here’s a dashing beau sabreur. A good hat. But who is he ? ? ?

C7072C40-1424-4AB0-B898-EF85A5B82B0C.jpeg

Agree with George, I too think he looks like a young Joachim von Ribbentrop.

Edited by RNCVR

37 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. Is your last one that well known failed farmer H. Himmler?

Pete, to whom are you addressing your question?

It was to mon oncle stricktly speaking, but as you are on a really hot streak I'm suspecting that you already know who it is.

Pete.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Mon oncle, Is your last one that well known failed farmer H. Himmler?

Yes indeed - der treuer Heinrich: chicken farmer; SS chief; maniac.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Mon oncle, 

I'm hoping that nobody will notice that I thought the cat in the hat was not in fact J von R but M von R, a well known aviator who appeared under his nickname in cartoons by a Mr Charles Schultz of America. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Pete.

Ah, I thought you were following correct old-timey diplomatic usage and using French for all foreign names. So, Monsieur Ribbontrop. See also, for instance, Madame Mao.

But who is your well known aviator? Richthofen, I guess.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Ah, I thought you were following correct old-timey diplomatic usage and using French for all foreign names. So, Monsieur Ribbontrop. See also, for instance, Madame Mao.

But who is your well known aviator? Richthofen, I guess.

You credit me with more sentience than is currently on offer, despite two industrial strength coffees this am I'm still pointing at things and grunting. I'm not sure that Schultz ever named the multiply interred Manfred, he just kept the Red Baron image going for years; rather like me and Belgian waffles.

Pete.

How about this chap ? ? ? Clue: “Everyone has the right to pronounce foreign names as he chooses.”

FBF99E18-E4D4-46FC-8861-7016B4F85101.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Well that took a while, knew it was Churchill, but spent ages finding out it he wrote it on  5 August 1951 in the Observer…..back to the task in hand.

And this post has just put me to a Major General, look at Reason to be Cheerful😁

Edited by Knotty