Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Finally after trawling through several “Rollo” (@tankengine888 what is the significance of this nickname,there’s bloody hundreds😁), the MID was awarded to Captain Harold Edwin Salisbury Armitage, for his actions on 2nd March 1917 , before he was killed in action, Noreuil, France, 2 April 1917where he is buried.

Yep, same action as my great great uncle and first cousin 4 removed. both killed at Noreuil. I didn't know "Rollo" was a common nickname. He was C. Co. Commander, my 1st Cousin 4 removed's Company, where he served as a Machine Gunner. 
His death date is either 2nd or 3rd of April, but he was killed outright.
I would get another person... an interesting one.. he lacks a photo though. The guy I was gonna do was a Zulu War Veteran.

Err I guess I'll go with the first person I think of...
My friend had to help me get one..
Ormond Burton, Gallantry Medal Winner, Writer and Pacifist (24805454462).jpg
Good luck.

Edited by tankengine888

Was the VC winner your g-great uncle then @tankengine888?

Your new chap MM,and looks like a New Zealand uniform 

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Was the VC winner your g-great uncle then @tankengine888?

Your new chap MM,and looks like a New Zealand uniform 

Nononononono I wish he was a VC Winner
Closest I've gotten to that was a DCM by Hugo John Wegener, at Lihons, August 1918.
Funnily enough, my friends g-great uncle won a VC.. Dwyer I think it was, John Dwyer, VC, a Tasmanian or something.. the place that doesn't exist.
Guy with the MM is a New Zealander.. Locked up quite a few times for opposing the (second world) war.
Mr "I am the very model of a Modern Major General", I'll give you one you might know...
A bullet bent his bayonet, later died that die/day after.
Colonel William George Malone | Items | National Library of New Zealand |  National Library of New Zealand

3 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Err I guess I'll go with the first person I think of...
My friend had to help me get one..
Ormond Burton, Gallantry Medal Winner, Writer and Pacifist (24805454462).jpg
Good luck.

Edited 3 hours ago by tankengine888

Ormond Burton?

burton.png

Edited by ilkley remembers

1 hour ago, tankengine888 said:

bullet bent his bayonet, later died that die/day after.
Colonel William George Malone | Items | National Library of New Zealand |  National Library of New Zealand

Is this Lt Col. William George Malone of the Wellington Inf. Battalion?

malone.png

Edited by ilkley remembers

7 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Is this Lt Col. William George Malone of the Wellington Inf. Battalion?

malone.png

7 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Ormond Burton?

burton.png

Inhuman clearly. I don't get how you do this well

Good luck 'ere

220px-BG_Harry_Fulton.jpg

Brigadier-General Harry Fulton, started with a commission in the British Army, seconded to the Indian Army, ended up volunteering for the New Zealand contingent. Outbreak of WW1 he again volunteered for the NZEF, ending up commanding the NZ Rifle Brigade. He died of wounds received 29 March 1918 in the Somme region.

Here inspecting the German lines

E8B4EF40-E8A9-454D-8F71-0BC5D1285529.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Brigadier-General Harry Fulton, started with a commission in the British Army, seconded to the Indian Army, ended up volunteering for the New Zealand contingent. Outbreak of WW1 he again volunteered for the NZEF, ending up commanding the NZ Rifle Brigade. He died of wounds received 29 March 1918 in the Somme region.

Here inspecting the German lines

E8B4EF40-E8A9-454D-8F71-0BC5D1285529.jpeg

Darn it. Cyril Bassett was in the same room as him when he was wounded/killed.

surely.. surely..

hint: who do you think you are kidding mr hitler

image.jpeg.489a90c8729140155d9e03b50763d47c.jpeg

5 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

hint: who do you think you are kidding mr hitler

That's an easy one for most of us!  I was watching an episode of this the other night on YouTube and hard to reconcile the fictional character with the young man above who was wounded in the hand by a German bayonet amongst several other injuries. Another actor often seen in Dad's Army episodes with Arnold Ridley is Young Mr Grace, also a Great War veteran.

Just now, WhiteStarLine said:

That's an easy one for most of us!  I was watching an episode of this the other night on YouTube and hard to reconcile the fictional character with the young man above who was wounded in the hand by a German bayonet amongst several other injuries. Another actor often seen in Dad's Army episodes with Arnold Ridley is Young Mr Grace, also a Great War veteran.

Yeah, I just saw.... that this was used over 3 or so times in here.
I wonder if you'll also get this @WhiteStarLine
Lives of WW1 on Twitter: "#DadsArmy star John Laurie ('Private Frazer')  served in #WW1 - find out more @LivesofWW1: https://t.co/Lqnh96AmGr  https://t.co/jbXOvpjUXz" / Twitter
So young..

Thanks for that - I would never have picked that one!  His character is so dour.  I was not aware that he had also served in the Great War.  However, I cannot spoil things anymore, in case it slips that I might have used an image technique banned on Who is This?  Ridley is well known here and your clue wasn't that difficult! 

1 minute ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Thanks for that - I would never have picked that one!  His character is so dour.  I was not aware that he had also served in the Great War.  However, I cannot spoil things anymore, in case it slips that I might have used an image technique banned on Who is This?  Ridley is well known here and your clue wasn't that difficult! 

Yeah, I wonder if they'll get the one above though... I'm sure you know who he is... It's Rubbish if they don't get it

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

We’ve had John Laurie before @tankengine888😁

Welp... I guess you'll know this one.
Harold Bennett - Wikipedia
Him in later life
Harold Bennett (1899-1981) - Find a Grave Memorial

I missed out on the Dad's Army revival... 

too much stuff going on... and Boyfriend recruiting me to type out his school stuff when I should be burying myself in my latest reads does not help ... 

M.

On 10/02/2022 at 10:47, tankengine888 said:

Welp... I guess you'll know this one.

Sorry didn’t see this one, Harold Bennett aka Mr Grace in Are You Being Served.

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

Sorry didn’t see this one, Harold Bennett aka Mr Grace in Are You Being Served.

Also Mr Sidney Blewitt from Dads Army!
I'm starting to run out of people that aren't my relatives of no real significance.
Guess I'll use...
Faces of Gallipoli: Arthur Seaforth Blackburn
Australian... In a notable enough photograph. Has ties with Captain "Rollo" Armitage
As I said in that post, 

"It's not everyday someone wins the VC"

Made it too obvious already!

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I missed out on the Dad's Army revival... 

Oh well, I'll probably do it again at some point when someone who can't guess it faster than the mad minute comes along.

OK,  W.I.T

image.png.99967b8d0e0fcd858153dbb09d2c3cb4.png

5 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

OK,  W.I.T

image.png.99967b8d0e0fcd858153dbb09d2c3cb4.png

If that’s a Pom, no.

Quite definitely a pom. Eton, Oxford and the conservative party. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Oh, and he had two brothers and a nephew  in the Welsh Guards.

Finally got confirmation on @tankengine888 WIT from earlier in the week Arthur Seaforth Blackburn, signed up as a private in the 10th Battalion and served throughout Gallipoli which saw him receive a commission to an officer in time to be on the Somme where on July 24 1916 he won his VC for leadership and bravery. One of his command that day Roy Inwood went on to win a VC the following year.

25 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Finally got confirmation on @tankengine888 WIT from earlier in the week Arthur Seaforth Blackburn, signed up as a private in the 10th Battalion and served throughout Gallipoli which saw him receive a commission to an officer in time to be on the Somme where on July 24 1916 he won his VC for leadership and bravery. One of his command that day Roy Inwood went on to win a VC the following year.

Correct! Except for the Roy Inwood part. His brother was under Blackburn as a Sergeant. He was killed in the action. He is mentioned merely as “a sergeant” in the citation somewhere.

I just realized what WIT means.. Who Is This.

At school so yeah. I have another… as soon as I can think of one

1 minute ago, tankengine888 said:

Correct! Except for the Roy Inwood part. His brother was under Blackburn as a Sergeant. He was killed in the action. He is mentioned merely as “a sergeant” in the citation somewhere.

I just realized what WIT means.. Who Is This.

At school so yeah. I have another… as soon as I can think of one

Have fun

EF6A36B5-B951-4844-BCF4-360020E88CE2.png

Looks like Captain Square, of the Eastgate platoon....

For those pondering my latest,  He was a friend of Dorothy, Elizabeth Taylor and David Ben Gurion thought he was smashing. 

Edited by Gunner Hall