Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

He was Rangefinder on HMS Hood, piccy of him collecting rum ration (as well as my avatar), joined in 1914 and in WW1 his first ship and action was onboard HMS Agamemnon up the Dardanelles, then served on various cruisers and a couple of battleships after. He was in the navy until “pensioned” out in July 39, only to rejoin in Sept at the start of WW2. Killed in action on the armed merchant cruiser HMS Voltaire in 1941.

The young lady was a first for a couple of reasons but not for the USA.

0CE207BA-39FD-43BD-B711-E774F31A9FB5.jpeg

Is that him in the middle with the 2 buckets? Also nice! 'If the Sergeant Navy steals your rum, nevermind!'
I actually was responding when someone [probably] ran their car into the power pole.. was out of power for a fair while of 20 minutes.
Shame he died, but what can you do? it's the fate that you can't change, also, I like the bucket! THE KING GOD BLESS HIM

I still cannot figure it out! I'm hopeless..

6 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Is that him in the middle with the 2 buckets?

Yep that’s him, only one bucket, the other is the officer pouring😁

Next clue, bit stumped but can say it’s an air raid that triggered it.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Yep that’s him, only one bucket, the other is the officer pouring😁

Next clue, bit stumped but can say it’s an air raid that triggered it.

That's a wonderful picture to have of your grandfather John. I've no idea who the current lady is, but knowing you as I do, I'm doing my best to decipher your latest clue.😉

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Ok have a go at this young lady, and her claim to fame….

Is that Amelia Earhart Mr K? If it is it is hard to know where to start in describing her fame.

Pete.

No Pete not an aviatrix,feet were firmly on the ground until the bombs fell😁

Think that this young lady is a Canadian nurse Madeleine Jaffray who won the Croix de Guerre but lost a foot in the process.

On the subject of the Bismark one of my uncles served on the Tribal Class Destroyer, HMS Sikh, and was responsible for firing a salvo of torpedos at the mighty ship the night before she was sunk. He claimed that one hit the Bismark but there is no evidence of it, nevertheless his story was posted in wartime newspapers. He had better luck in December 1941 when he put a torpedo into the Italian cruiser Alberto di Guissano sending her to the bottom of the Med

Edited by ilkley remembers

Madeleine Jaffray

jaffrey.png

jaffray.png

Edited by ilkley remembers

2 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Madeleine Jaffray

jaffrey.png

jaffray.png

Good job, I'd never guess that! I just got off parade at cadets, yelling commands since I 'volunteered', then forced to yell that we will address rank for a few minutes.

Anyhow, good job! I couldn't figure that one out.

Well done Ms Jaffray it is, here’s her story (condensed version)

Madeleine Jaffray was born in August 1889 in Chicago, and moved to Ontario Canada, as a child.
She trained as a nurse, and soon after the outbreak of the First World War, she enlisted with the French Red Cross. She went overseas in December 1915.

Ms. Jaffray spent 10 months working in a military hospital near Bordeaux, France, before being transferred to a mobile ambulance unit in Adinkerke, Belgium. This area was only a few kilometres from the front lines and was frequently bombed. She was coming out of a covered passageway of one of the wards when a bomb fell in front of her, severely wounding her foot.

Her injury led to an amputation, making her Canada’s only female war amputee of the First World War.

Ms. Jaffray was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French military for her bravery, with an additional star for her services,she was the first Canadian woman to be awarded this medal.

After the war, she worked at the Dominion Orthopedic Hospital on Christie Street in Toronto. She also became The War Amps only female member before the Association began serving civilian adults and children, and took a very active interest in its work and successes. Ms. Jaffray got married at The War Amps convention of 1927 in Hamilton, Ontario, and later moved to Edmonton with her husband. She passed away 23rd July 1972

• 4 weeks later...

I'll try make this a bit more 'alive'
image.png.0741010804ce1490982f571318769046.png

21 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Sir John Gellibrand?

59 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Sir John Gellibrand?

Nah, this man doesn't have a DSO or KCB.

Edited by tankengine888

• 1 month later...
On 07/12/2021 at 23:37, Uncle George said:

Here’s an interesting chap with, in later life, an even better moustache. But who is he ? ? ?

3DBE48EB-8F01-4A59-8DFB-B2D0D24E194C.jpeg

Yes, this is Semyon Mikhalovich Budyonny, but this is not a photo, but a painted drawing, on which everything is invented - from the uniform to his awards. 

15 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

Yes, this is Semyon Mikhalovich Budyonny, but this is not a photo, but a painted drawing, on which everything is invented - from the uniform to his awards. 

Yes indeed. I forget exactly why I posted him, but on reacquainting myself on Wiki I note his prescient thinking: Budyonny was a staunch proponent of horse cavalry. During the Great Purge, he testified against Mikhail Tukhachevsky’s efforts to create an independent tank corps, claiming that it was so inferior to cavalry and illogical that it amounted to "wrecking" (sabotage). After being told of the importance of the tank in the coming war in 1939, he remarked, ‘You won't convince me. As soon as war is declared, everyone will shout, "Send for the Cavalry!" ‘

But that’s interesting about everything in that picture being invented.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

But that’s interesting about everything in that picture being invented.

During the Great War, Budenny served in the Seversky Dragoon Regiment, the uniform of which differs from the above picture. There is a real photograph of him (below), on the basis of which this fantastic drawing was made. It has now been proven that he was awarded only 2 St. George crosses and one St. George medal.

Budenny.jpg.064875fcd5472c2a587f8b478b5e6e87.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 03/07/2022 at 10:29, tankengine888 said:

Can we have a clue for this chap (Australian I think).

While we wait for a clue from tankengine, who are these two dashing young blades ? ? ? What is their connection? Why have I posted them, you ask. Well, the heart has its reasons.

5913A2DC-671F-4FF2-9D3A-FE8285ED69D5.jpeg

4728DDAC-1F5D-4EEC-8057-9690E0ED63A5.jpeg

EDIT: images from timenote.info and sandiegohistory.org

Edited by Uncle George

I don't know who they are but if a movie had been made about the connection the French looking chap would have to be played by Alain Delon and the British officer (and no doubt a gentleman, even if temporary) by Michael York.

Pete.

He looks a bit like a weird hybrid of Michael York and Wilfrid Owen... Actually, I'm pretty sure I know the second; assuming I'm right (not always a wise assumption) there's scope for guessing the first. 

Oh, Mr Owls, just seen your "Here are the football results":D - is that a quote? Or your own sparkling wit? I ask so I can steal it and drop it into erudite conversation.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

While we wait for a clue from tankengine,

Hi UG

Do you think it could be Colonel Godfrey Irving CGS May to Dec 1915?

32 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

Yes, good shout. I see on Wiki that he fits the clue, and that he was made Major General upon his retirement in 1925.

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Oh, Mr Owls, just seen your "Here are the football results":D - is that a quote? Or your own sparkling wit? I ask so I can steal it and drop it into erudite conversation.

Absolutely Pat, it is almost certainly a quote as I have no sense of humour whatsoever. So you are not committing comedy larceny, not from moi at least. I used to participate in a Fantasy football competition at one of my former employers and Surreal Madrid was one of my team names. All Brann Bergen and Flash Amsterdam were the others. I'd be fascinated to hear how you manage to drop Surreal Madrid into erudite conversation, or indeed hear what erudite conversation is.

Pete.

8 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

Nope.

Hint: British Army for 20 Years, then he took his discharge only for the war to come around and for him to gain a commission in the 1/AIF

Zidane