Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

8 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

He was a friend of Dorothy, Elizabeth Taylor and David Ben Gurion thought he was smashing. 

Hi Gunner, 

I think that is Victor Cazalet MM, godfather of Elizabeth T, and a champion of the Jewish homeland, which led to him meeting David BG just a week before his death in 1943 in a plane crash.  You don’t hear “friend of Dorothy” used much nowadays 😁

Brother Edward Kia with Welsh Guards in 1916, Peter transfered  from Royal Artillery into Welsh Guards in 1943

Spot on, knotty. My next clue would have referred to him being involved in one of the more popular conspiracy theories (the 1943 crash that killed him and the leader of the Polish government in exile, General Sikorsky.) He was also the godfather of Elizabeth Taylor ( he taught her now to ride, so probably helped get her the part in" National velvet") and Mary, Winston ChurchilIs youngest daughter.

I came across him and his elder brother in some back copies of the Guards magazine. An admirable and quite remarkable man. I always feel quite diminished after reading about these chaps. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

18 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Looks like Captain Square, of the Eastgate platoon....

For those pondering my latest,  He was a friend of Dorothy, Elizabeth Taylor and David Ben Gurion thought he was smashing. 

"No Colonel, you're quite mistaken. I am Cardinal puff puff (hiccup) puff."

7 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

"No Colonel, you're quite mistaken. I am Cardinal puff puff (hiccup) puff."

Ruddy hooligans!

oh kay ... if the tanks and the artillery are getting into a fight, maybe logistics should step in ...  

Now who may this Lady be??? 

image.png.aefc46237ca8c2f20dfbfd0b0e03f9be.png

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

little tip... she was a major... 

Oh Matron.....   Or at least if she was in the QARANC.  

Someone had to lower the tone.

14 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Oh Matron.....   Or at least if she was in the QARANC. 

Nopes, not a matron... I really meant to write "major" ... and you're way off from QARANC...

Where would this forum be without the odd gratuitous Kenneth Williams impersonation?

Who's Kenneth Williams ??? 

OK... other tip ... you can now play mini-golf on the grounds of her former home and work-place. 

M.

Could that be the former St Elisabeth Hospital Poperinge and would that make her the Countess Maria Van den Steen de Jehay, known as the Major of Poperinge?

TROP FORT !!!! 

I don't know how he does it... Knotty is right. 

The minigolf course refers to her first home which was Chevetogne, a hospital in 1914 and now a holiday resort. 

Maria first offered her service to Dr Depage but he turned her down... Maria had founded a nursing school, Sainte Camille, strictly catholic and Depage's school was "laïque" (how do you say that in english??) ... so she went on to do her own thing. Queen Elizabeth gave her the nickname "the Major of Poperinghe". 

M.

"He helped us, and we don't even know his name. Who is this?"

image.png.43319a4fd2e053845c588f91c6c756ba.png

4 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

"He helped us, and we don't even know his name. Who is this?"

image.png.43319a4fd2e053845c588f91c6c756ba.png

Lieutenant, British (something) Regiment, MC, CDeG?

A bit of a shot in the dark, but is this the future Lt Gen Sir Archibald Nye?

24 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

A bit of a shot in the dark, but is this the future Lt Gen Sir Archibald Nye?

I was gonna say "Give that man a pint!"
Nah, it must be Alexander George Edwin Smith, CEF

Well, that's blown the wind out of my sails, and no mistake.  Alexander George Edwin Smith M.C himself. Father of Harold Jay Smith, aka Jay Silverheels, or Tonto to film buffs.

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

Well, that's blown the wind out of my sails, and no mistake.  Alexander George Edwin Smith M.C himself. Father of Harold Jay Smith, aka Jay Silverheels, or Tonto to film buffs.

Well time to get some wind on your main mast eh? Hard a lee! Especially while my sugary-bitter coffee is still hot.
Easy one for australians... surely you know who this man is.
image.jpeg.7acd7a6f9179917d28cd4fc976768095.jpeg
Has half a dozen medals and a quarter [of a] dozen bars or so for a medal
image.png.740758c772fc0b7b814abe1bd02b7a1a.png

Easy.  Aussie with the Military Medal and three bars.  Ernest Albert  Corey  Only man to be awarded it four times.  

On 02/03/2022 at 00:28, Gunner Hall said:

Easy.  Aussie with the Military Medal and three bars.  Ernest Albert  Corey  Only man to be awarded it four times.  

Well, took me a week to find one. 
hint, I share a surname with him and he did something with the Australian flying corps

428960C3-BD4E-4162-B458-90608CF8776F.jpeg

On 09/03/2022 at 04:09, tankengine888 said:

hint, I share a surname with him and he did something with the Australian flying corps

Well Tankengine888 McNamara I think that he won the VC with No 1 Squadron Australian Flying Corps

Try this young lady whose brother has previously featured on this thread

1046915955_edithbagnold.png.183effdfefd19743f67c4eaa560beee5.png

This might help to identify her brother362066742_bagnoldformula.png.c8e6aa039c1fd447a1d50c04bf5bc819.png

On 10/03/2022 at 12:15, ilkley remembers said:

Try this young lady whose brother has previously featured on this thread

1046915955_edithbagnold.png.183effdfefd19743f67c4eaa560beee5.png

Another clue

Did she fortell an historical sporting achievement of 2021?

Edited by ilkley remembers

Final cracked it….. Enid Bagnold , writer of the well known book/film National Velvet*, and sister of Ralph Bagnold of the quoted sand moving formulae. 
Could not find the photo you provided but her details are here:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enid_Bagnold

*(Rachael Blackmore won the 2021 Grand National on Minella Times)

Edited by Knotty
Reference to 2021

45 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Final cracked it….. Enid Bagnold , writer of the well known book/film National Velvet*, and sister of Ralph Bagnold of the quoted sand moving formulae. 
Could not find the photo you provided but her details are here:-

Well done Knotty it is a young Enid Bagnold and of course her brother Ralph. I have absolutely no idea what the formula actually means but as you say it is something to do with moving sand.

Velvet Brown in 'National Velvet' did cross the winning line first but unlike Rachael Blackmore didn't actually win the race. Velvet slumped from her horse and was adjuged to have dismounted before reaching the enclosure and therefore could not claim the prize. Tough but rules is rules as they say

• 4 weeks later...

Wounded on The Marne in 1914 and died in 1916 but it was his graphology skills that had diabolical results.

du clam.png