Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Commander Charles Samson, RNAS?

No its not him. Another clue he was a tank commander....

49 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

Another clue he was a tank commander....

I got a bit of him right then, but still cannot fathom him out😀 Back to the search

Edited by Knotty

Can't be Deborah's commander,  2Lt  Frank Gustave Heap can it?

Edited by Gunner Hall

Drat. 2/Lt Heap was huge at Flyde Rugby Club,    I thought the "RFC"  reference might be a League / Union thing!

Well done stripeyman, this one is going down as one of the all time legendary WITs. 

I wondered if it might be William Watson. DSO DCM, but he died in 1961, so I guess not. 

13 hours ago, neverforget said:

I wondered if it might be William Watson. DSO DCM, but he died in 1961, so I guess not. 

Unfortunately it is not him, photograph taken 1917, everyone will know this....

16 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Hyacinth?

I've been trying to find the C.O of Hyacinth for two days.    Hilda keeps getting in the way.......

17 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Hyacinth?

17 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Hyacinth?

Nooo…. same first name as a 1950's female film star. 

8 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I've been trying to find the C.O of Hyacinth for two days ...

Was a 2nd Lieutenant Jackson, I think. 

18 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

Nooo…. same first name as a 1950's female film star. 

Hilda Baker?  

38 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Was a 2nd Lieutenant Jackson, I think. 

Thanks, U.G,   Couldn't see the wood for the Elles, Huntbach and Leach shaped trees...

Edited by Gunner Hall

Trees felled,  forest flattened.  Captain Douglas Gordon Brown,  author of "The Tank in Action" 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Well done Gunner, top marks, there was a  thread started back in 2014 dedicated to him, complete with the same picture, as he was the posters great Uncle.

Nice one stripeyman, that certain kept me, and I suspect others, entertained.

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

Trees felled,  forest flattened.  Captain Doulas Gordon Brown,  author of "The Tank in Action" 

Good call! Gina.

Knotty, it was Andrew B's post that did it.    Couldn't find anything more about Captain Browne or his tank, but the photograph leapt out at me.   U.G,  thanks, - Gina.  I hadn't got to G Squadron,   I couldn't get past  "D" with  "Diana"  Dors and "Doris" Day.   Still, there are worse places to be stuck.   I must read his book now. 

The tank that he commanded is the one taken just North of Kitchener Wood. The one with the track scrolled back and bogged down, Q6237. This was G47 'Gina' as in Gina Lolabridgeda  if I am spelling in correctly, the old uns will know what I mean.... Anyway its not Hilda Baker, was she a Film Star ?

On 07/02/2020 at 17:26, stripeyman said:

The tank that he commanded is the one taken just North of Kitchener Wood. The one with the track scrolled back and bogged down, Q6237. This was G47 'Gina' as in Gina Lolabridgeda  if I am spelling in correctly, the old uns will know what I mean.... Anyway its not Hilda Baker, was she a Film Star ?

She was a film star of sorts, I can say that without fear of contraception. 

25 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

She was a film star of sorts, I can say that without fear of contraception. 

Good grief......

Here's a slightly unusual one.

To put you in the picture right from the off, this chap actually died just before the war started, but nevertheless had an important influence upon both Kitchener and Churchill, which led him to the the first of his kind.

20200210_173601.jpg.6f6c94e32e7d28e9155ca10f91534f06.jpg

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Here's a slightly unusual one.

To put you in the picture right from the off, this chap actually died just before the war started, but nevertheless had an important influence upon both Kitchener and Churchill, which led him to the the first of his kind.

That's an odd thing - I thought he might be Captain Eustace Broke Lorain, the first RFC officer to be killed in an aircraft crash. Seeking to confirm this via Google I discovered I was wrong - but found the correct answer by accident!

Captain Bertram Dickson, who helped set the scene for the creation of the RFC...

9 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

That's an odd thing - I thought he might be Captain Eustace Broke Lorain, the first RFC officer to be killed in an aircraft crash. Seeking to confirm this via Google I discovered I was wrong - but found the correct answer by accident!

Captain Bertram Dickson, who helped set the scene for the creation of the RFC...

That didn't last long.😊

Well done Andrew, Dickson it is. First British serviceman to qualify as a pilot, and also the first airman, along with Rene Thomas, to be involved in a mid-air collision. 

As you say, he was also indirectly responsible for the creation of the RFC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertram_Dickson

Picture from here:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17903450.mystery-around-scottish-captain-fell-record-books/