Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

40 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

so quiet around here... y'all snowed in??? 

or looking for inspiration?? 

M.

Especially for you then Marilyne:

20200120_092414.jpg.e6d5a56d90201a5b15b5b6df53de5222.jpg

Edited by neverforget

International Law Horse Riding Photography

No idea, but out of Marilyne's published interests, I'm going to guess a jockey turned soldier.

5 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

No idea, but out of Marilyne's published interests, I'm going to guess a jockey turned soldier.

Not a horse rider, but not a million miles away either.

Not a soldier, but an alternative contribution to the war effort.

oops... did I forget to mention that my Granddad (mothers side) was a CYCLIST fanatic who used to drag his granddaughter to all the big Belgian classics?? 

The Historical Guide that I wrote for the Four Days of the Yzer 2017 starts with a nice story: on the day Gravilo Princip fired his FN pistol in Sarajevo, another shot was fired: the starting shot of the Tour de France 1914... and this Tour was won by Belgian cyclist Philippe THYS, here pictured, is it not??  

He was from Anderlecht, won the Tour 1913, 1914 and 1920. And if it had not been for the war, he could have won more than that. He was considered one of the most brilliant riders of his time. 

Greetz from the country of Eddy Merckx!! 

M. 

51 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

oops... did I forget to mention that my Granddad (mothers side) was a CYCLIST fanatic who used to drag his granddaughter to all the big Belgian classics?? 

The Historical Guide that I wrote for the Four Days of the Yzer 2017 starts with a nice story: on the day Gravilo Princip fired his FN pistol in Sarajevo, another shot was fired: the starting shot of the Tour de France 1914... and this Tour was won by Belgian cyclist Philippe THYS, here pictured, is it not??  

He was from Anderlecht, won the Tour 1913, 1914 and 1920. And if it had not been for the war, he could have won more than that. He was considered one of the most brilliant riders of his time. 

Greetz from the country of Eddy Merckx!! 

M. 

What can I say? You are correct in every aspect, except it is not Phillipe Thys. (Unless the source for my picture is mistaken?)

I fear that the only clue I can think of to give you would make it too easy for you.

I will say this:

He was sentenced to death by the Germans.

P.s. I dont think he ever won the T.D.F.

Edited by neverforget

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Based on NF info I would name him as Paul Deman, however it could also be this chap with the same credited photo, Henri Pelissier
http://piedmontvelosports.blogspot.com/2012/04/henri-pelissier.html

Is there a certain Sir Chris Hoy on the thread that could help😇?

Right first time Knotty.

Paul Deman, the Belgian professional cyclist turned World War One spy. Deman won the first-ever Tour of Flanders in 1913, amongst other notable races. When the war began, he joined the Belgian espionage service and smuggled secret documents into neutral Netherlands on his bicycle at immense personal risk. 

As with many other spies making repeat journeys through occupied territory, it was only a matter of time before Deman was caught. Late in the war, he was arrested, jailed, and sentenced to death. However, Armistice came before the date of his execution so he was saved. Deman returned to cycling in the 1920s and lived until 1961.

Picture from here:

https://www.beleefjeeigenronde.be/en/page/tour-heroes

Edited by neverforget

How about this chap? Not sure if he's been on before but we'll soon see.

The last of a kind, and a thoroughly good egg by all accounts. 

20200120_175732.jpg.682a926903b2cd0358f60de1a7db5503.jpg

In good old pantomime  fashion... oh yes he has! ( more than once )

I will not say who I think it is, but I mentioned him quite recently as someone else....I was wrong then😬

I thought it most likely that he had, but I couldn't remember seeing him. Bit of a rubbish effort on my part.

Oh well, in for a penny....

He died aged just 34, and had a very very well known uncle, who also died prematurely. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

a very very well known uncle, who also died prematurely

In Sarajevo?

Ron

1 minute ago, Ron Clifton said:

In Sarajevo?

Ron

Yes. I think that should narrow it down sufficiently to put this one to bed. 

Charles 1 of Austria. Last of the Austrian Emperors, the last King of Hungary, the last King of Bohemia, and the last monarch belonging to the House of Habsburg-Lorraine before the dissolution of Austria-Hungary. 

Did his best to take Austro Hungary out of the war, and organized several caritative initiatives.

Charles I of Austria https://g.co/kgs/A1ah35

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

What can I say? You are correct in every aspect, except it is not Phillipe Thys. (Unless the source for my picture is mistaken?)

I fear that the only clue I can think of to give you would make it too easy for you.

Hmmm... Funny... I was so sure about that...

Actualy thé cap gave hum away as cyclist...

M.

image.png.20aa4eb58ee46e721233aa830bb85acf.png

I wonder if this chap can entertain you for longer than my usual efforts.  My second clue is as follows - These numbers hold a special significance  -  B 75 and 46052

I have seen him before and have no idea right now but was he British? Is B75 a Birmingham Cham postcode and I wonder if 46052 is an army number?  

There’s probably a clue in the first part, he’s involved in the music/film business perhaps, standing there he’s a bit Chaplinesque, I think.

Alisonmallen62 - No, No, and No. 

Knotty- Spot on. 

2nd clue (unchartered waters this,  never having reached the second clue stage)   He had two brothers.  who shared his trade and a nephew who designed a Cathedral.

Cannot find any family trio of performers/actors, so can I ask a question or two did they own a studio and are they British? 

Not British,  and nothing to do with cinema.  I can't believe I'm at the 3rd clue stage.  This chap’s war  ended in ireland, before it actually started for him.   No one can be sure if he ordered “Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.” but he has a connection to someone who sang about them.

Edited by Gunner Hall

Gunner it was the song reference gave it away, been working on it for an age.

Frasier sang “Tossed salads and scrambled eggs” at the end of his programme. Frasier was played by Kelsey Grammer

Kelsey Grammer played the part of the American Charles Frohman in the Broadway musical Finding Neverland.

Frohman had two brothers, Daniel and Gustave, and they were all involved in theatre production, they also had a nephew Philip who designed the Washington National Cathedral.

He died on May 7th 1915, with the sinking of the Lusitania, not drown, but hit by a heavy object, his body was washed ashore in Ireland.

B47 was his cabin & 46052 hiss boarding ticket.

Well done sir. .Mr Frohman it is.  Theatre impresario and producer.  He was responsible for the first production of Peter Pan and the Admirable Chrighton.  I had a fiendish Moses related clue I'd up next - he was seen tying life jackets to the Moses baskets containing the babies from the nursery. As he couldn't get in to the life boats due to his gammy leg.   Must say I was rather impressed by his performance on the Lucy. And he's improved my batting average. 😊 Charles, shalom aleichem!

Edited by Gunner Hall

This chap wandered the world and walked away(metaphorically) from the RMS Lusitania sinking.

58FAC009-93AE-4D4D-A67D-49C041881A10.jpeg

A member of I Zingari on the Lusitania?

Ah,  well if not a sporting wanderer,  He would be wandering among the clouds,   Osmond Bartle Wordsworth,  Old Wykehamist and late of the 9th Ox & Bucks and Machine Gun Corps.  Fell during the Battle of Arras, near the village of Henin-sur-Cojeul, five miles south east of Arras itself.