Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

25 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Can we assume he has a German or Austro-H pedigree somewhere along the line?

Yes, German. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

This chap was convicted (in England) for high treason and sentenced to death

Was the sentence carried out? 

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Was the sentence carried out? 

Very sharp, John, in fact it wasn't. 

He had gained British citizenship several years before the war, which was revoked for him and his family shortly afterwards. He died in Germany in 1943.

One of his sons subsequently became a politician and a journalist for the BBC.

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I thought he might be Sir Edgar Speyer, the King of the Underground: but I see he died in 1932. So not him.

No, not him. His wife committed suicide in Holloway prison in 1917. The verdict was one of barbiturate poisoning whilst insane.

One last clue before I put everyone out of our misery.

He was appointed German consul to Sunderland and Seaham Harbour in the early 1900s, and his charge of High treason was based on his alleged efforts to assist the mobilization of Germany. 

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

He is Nicolaus Emil Hermann Adolph Ahlers .

Spot on U. George. 

Story and picture from here:

https://www.durhamatwar.org.uk/story/11115/

If I may, can I ask who the son who became a journalist for the BBC and a politician was, please? I guess that it's one of these two - Conrad Ahlers or Herbert Paul Ahlers, but neither of these names ring any bells, so did they change their name?

4 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

If I may, can I ask who the son who became a journalist for the BBC and a politician was, please? I guess that it's one of these two - Conrad Ahlers or Herbert Paul Ahlers, but neither of these names ring any bells, so did they change their name?

After quickly googling Conrad, it likes likely to have been him. I will look into it further to see if I can confirm. 

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Conrad-Ahlers

Conrad it was...

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Ahlers

5 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Thank you … and silly me, I was linking the BBC with him becoming a politician in the UK not in West Germany - doh!

You're welcome. It looks like the other son returned to England, according to this entry in the London Gazette of October 1948. He ended up living just a mile or two up the road from me! 

Small world. 20191216_202525.jpg.319b68a5811160eb3f72ebc5a485f3e6.jpg

Typical, your local spy turns up while your back is turned.    

Any ideas on this chap???

Clue number 1; Canada/Croatia.

20191223_172033.jpg.654e6bafd1ebbd8e737d4209fd9b58cc.jpg

Edited by neverforget

38 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Any ideas on this chap???

Yes😁, he is 4 down in my list of influential Canadians. I will pm.

I'm surprised that no one is aware of this man's monumental contribution to the Great War. 

One of the most successful allied efforts of the war.

1 hour ago, TwoEssGee said:

Is that Walter Allward, the stonemason who constructed the Vimy Memorial?

(the clue being 'monumental')?

Indeed it is. Well played.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Seymour_Allward

Who is this lady and gentleman ? Clue is 1915

8CAB6031-5B69-413C-B97E-7D022878AD0D.jpeg

220F3745-FCF7-41C7-834F-8905DB92AC56.jpeg

Hope you have all had a good Xmas?

Edited by Knotty

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

I was maybe being a little unfair in referring to him as a Stonemason, when, considering his work, Monumental Sculptor seems much more apt. 

A chap that I know, who comes from the same Scottish island as I, is now one of Canada's top stonemasons and has carried out restoration work on many of their prominent buildings and monuments including Canada's Parliament building.

I recognised the photo of Allward from looking up details of the sculptor a couple of years back, at the time of the Centenary ceremony. My cousin (a Canadian General) and his wife were amongst the Brass and invited guests :)

1 minute ago, TwoEssGee said:

I was maybe being a little unfair in referring to him as a Stonemason, when, considering his work, Monumental Sculptor seems much more apt. 

A chap that I know, who comes from the same Scottish island as I, is now one of Canada's top stonemasons and has carried out restoration work on many of their prominent buildings and monuments including Canada's Parliament building.

I recognised the photo of Allward from looking up details of the sculptor a couple of years back, at the time of the Centenary ceremony. My cousin (a Canadian General) and his wife were amongst the Brass and invited guests :)

Having been to Vimy ridge and seeing it first hand, I'm hard pressed to think of a more impressive monument. Aside from it's sheer size, the detail on all the bits and pieces that go to making the various parts of it is nothing short of stunning. 

Not something one forgets once seen.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Not something one forgets once seen.

Did you know the original working plaster models of the statues were crated up in 1937, and eventually reopened in 2000 they are a feature of the Canadian War Museum.