Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

image.png.6b4aacd527788a334f6875d1adf19bfc.png

Can't surely have WIT move to page 2, so here goes.  This son of a shopkeeper entered politics as an urban district councillor.  In 1914, he was elected to the county council .  During the war he served in his county regiment until he transferred to a corps and reached the rank of acting RSM.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 00:24, seaJane said:

Thank you John, I am fine - have been very busy at work, but last week I was away, living in the picture below. Time for a WHIT, or Whose House Is This? 

Screenshot_20191112_002316.jpg

Could it be the famous writers house overlooking the River Dart ?

Edited by stripeyman

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

image.png.6b4aacd527788a334f6875d1adf19bfc.png

Can't surely have WIT move to page 2, so here goes.  This son of a shopkeeper entered politics as an urban district councillor.  In 1914, he was elected to the county council .  During the war he served in his county regiment until he transferred to a corps and reached the rank of acting RSM.

We’ve had this chap already - James Chuter Ede.

EDIT: I see that this was a long time ago: I posted this same photograph on 18 October 2014, and it was finally identified by David on 29 December of that year.

Edited by Uncle George

Drat.  Or words to that effect.

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi stripeyman

Question has been answered in post #12424🤣

Thanks, I must have missed that.....

I think this chap has not been guessed yet in WIT…

1955608786_Annotation2019-11-20160704.png.34376e175c23900e3bc9671f911052f6.png

But knowing you guys you're going to figure it out in a heartbeat…

one hint: he did not wear this uniform the whole war…

M.

30 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I think this chap has not been guessed yet in WIT…

1955608786_Annotation2019-11-20160704.png.34376e175c23900e3bc9671f911052f6.png

But knowing you guys you're going to figure it out in a heartbeat…

one hint: he did not wear this uniform the whole war…

M.

Merchant navy? Is he Captain Turner of the ‘Lusitania’ (before he became a Captain?).

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Merchant navy? Is he Captain Turner of the ‘Lusitania’ (before he became a Captain?).

nopes… the hint is not talking about the rank.

M.

Carl Hans Lody?.  

no and no.

other hint: he had a good reason to have a chat at 10 Downing Street end 1916...

M.

LarsA,  can't be him,  hasn't got an axe.  :D 

still no… I can give you one last hint… have a meeting at 1430 that might last long and won't be back until tomorrow morning, so let's see if I can give you something to chew on during the night…

If he'd lived today, we would definitely be very good friends, him having been an amateur of good beers and having once said: "Galloping under rifle or machine-gun fire is a very exhilarating experience" … beer lover and horse rider… what a man!!

M.

Herbert Asquith had lost his son Raymond in Sept 1916 and he invited an army colleague of his, who was in the UK recovering from his wounds, to 10 Downing Street to talk about the circumstances surrounding his death, that someone was Hugh Wansley Bayly MC.....who went onto write a book on Venereal Diseases.(strange, my thoughts) .

He also wrote .... War, whirligigs and windmills . : a doctor's memoirs of the years 1914 to 1929 from which the quote was taken.

Yes!!!

Knotty nailed it.

Here's another picture of the chap, this time in his RAMC uniform…

653006472_HughWanseyBayley.jpg.2c15d4b88610297f12ff4f4bb0813941.jpg

that was the uniform clue: he started the war as an on board surgeon, but then called in some favors to switch from the sea to the mud.

He also treated and tried to save this chap, to no avail:

835102061_GdeLLeach.jpg.65ae4a7dddaab9e41c969e6235655cb6.jpg

Any idea????

M.

Hi M

Got him through checking out Bayly, not wanting another scalp I will say he was awarded the Albert medal ( in gold ).......over to the resident WIT followers

Edited by Knotty

you are definitely too generous!!!

Let's hope the rest catches up …

M.

Can't resist it.  2nd Lt Grey De Lèche Leach AM, 1st Scots Guards.    'Twas the Albert in Gold that gave it away. 

Have to credit https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/records-of-gallantry-and-bravery-awards/the-british-gallantry-and-bravery-awards-of-the-great-war/military-recipients-albert-medal/  too.  Seems that our grenades were often more dangerous to us, than the opposition. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Right!!!

and right on time too… won't be online for the WE, and I was afraid I'd have to close down the computer here before any of you figured it out!

So with this: have nice WE all... 

M

10 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Can't resist it.  2nd Lt Grey De Lèche Leach AM, 1st Scots Guards.    'Twas the Albert in Gold that gave it away. 

And if he had been in the area recognised as within enemy engagement range it would have probably been a VC.

Edited by Knotty

I only came across this fellow a few days ago via a day's battlefield tour organised by our local WWI Heritage Society. This young man was widely travelled and had interests in various faiths and worlds.

123.jpg.ca08a112099ff52a87671074184cbef6.jpg

The cap badge looks like a slightly out of focus British Railways pre 48 nationalisation badge😀

64793802-D32B-4AB5-B553-622B4C85B1A2.jpeg