Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Oh, no need to apologise - I was teasing, but it misfired. Sorry x

18 minutes ago, seaJane said:

... but it misfired ...

“There’s something wrong with our bloody ships today!”

Is he Ernie Chatfield?

Hi seaJane

Just catching back up, can you confirm ( not at home, so no reference books) is he a Captain, if I remember insignia correctly.

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

“There’s something wrong with our bloody ships today!”

Is he Ernie Chatfield?

Nope.

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi seaJane

Just catching back up, can you confirm ( not at home, so no reference books) is he a Captain, if I remember insignia correctly.

Admiral.

Retired in 1916 and brought back into service in 1917. Reminder re: ancestor.

He might be John Saumarez Dumaresq. A descendant of James Saumarez? Inventor of the Dumaresq, the ranging thingummy. The attached is from Wikipedia:

87AE5BD0-5EA3-4019-8A16-1B2EAA497382.jpeg

Not John Saumarez Dumaresq; Saumarez sr was at one point second in command to the ancestor I'm thinking of.

Horace Hood, who as a Rear-Admiral was lost aboard HMS Invincible at Jutland?

Ron

Edit: Obviously not, if he was brought back to duty in 1917, but am I warm, as someone descended from a more famous admiral?

Edited by Ron Clifton

16 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

... but am I warm, as someone descended from a more famous admiral?

Who is the admiral, Ron? Do tell.

When I said "a more famous admiral" I didn't have a particular name in mind, but Nelson did cross my mind.

Ron

Is that a Villeneuve, UG?

52 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

When I said "a more famous admiral" I didn't have a particular name in mind, but Nelson did cross my mind.

Ron

Sorry, I thought you were saying that you were descended from the more famous admiral. 

19 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Is that a Villeneuve, UG?

Non. My chap served at Verdun.

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Non. My chap served at Verdun.

Still not near my books, is it the Vichy Admiral from WW2, cannot remember his name for the life of me.

27 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Vichy 

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Admiral 

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

WW2

These are all excellent clues.

This looks like François Darlan. He made a name for himself a long way from the sea for counter battery work at Verdun. His battery of naval guns took on the huge siege weapons that the Germans were using to pound the forts if I remember correctly. The size of the weapons made them completely immobile with in some cases concrete emplacements built for them, some of which are still there in the woods to the north of the city. I think that techniques like flash spotting were used to locate them.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

This looks like François Darlan. He made a name for himself a long way from the sea for counter battery work at Verdun. His battery of naval guns took on the huge siege weapons that the Germans were using to pound the forts if I remember correctly. The size of the weapons made them completely immobile with in some cases concrete emplacements built for them, some of which are still there in the woods to the north of the city. I think that techniques like flash spotting were used to locate them.

Pete.

Yes that’s him. Murdered on a Christmas Eve.

WSC: “Few men have paid more heavily for errors of judgement and failures of character than Admiral Darlan ... Let him rest in peace, and let us all be thankful we have never had to face the trials under which he broke,”

Quote from ‘The Hinge of Fate’ (1951).

Harold Macmillan,who was Churchill's adviser to Eisenhower at the time of the assassination, wryly described Darlan's service and death by saying, "Once bought, he stayed bought."

Edited by Knotty

So, who is this chap ? ? ? Fisher: “He has the power, he pulls the strings, he has no position, he causes no jealousy, he talks to all the Lords as their servant, and he manipulates them all and oils the machine for his special master, the First Lord, to perpetuate a job when necessary!”

4672AC2F-E23B-48BC-A723-7C7BC2F74ACD.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

So, who is this chap ? ? ? Fisher: “He has the power, he pulls the strings, he has no position, he causes no jealousy, he talks to all the Lords as their servant, and he manipulates them all and oils the machine for his special master, the First Lord, to perpetuate a job when necessary!”

4672AC2F-E23B-48BC-A723-7C7BC2F74ACD.jpeg

I'll take a first stab at Captain Charles M. de Bartolome: Naval assistant to the First Sea Lord from January 1912-August 1914?

32 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'll take a first stab at Captain Charles M. de Bartolome: Naval assistant to the First Sea Lord from January 1912-August 1914?

Yes! That was quick. The image is from the Dreadnought Project. The quote is from Fisher’s ‘Memories’ (1919). He is describing the position of Private Secretary to the First Lord of the Admiralty: this title became Naval Secretary to the First Lord in 1912, which post Bartolomé held from November 1914 to December 1916.

Violet Bonham Carter, in her ‘Winston Churchill As I Knew Him’ (1965), tells us that as Churchill was pressing for renewed Naval operations against the Dardanelles without the Army, “he encountered ‘insuperable resistance’. [Bartolomé] alone was ready to order the renewal of the attack. Lord Fisher, Sir Arthur Wilson and Sir Henry Jackson refused to do so ... Winston saw clearly the ‘vista of terrible consequences behind this infirm relaxation of purpose’ ... He was supported by the Chief of Staff, Commodore de Bartolomé, but he was the youngest there and the old sea-dogs remained obdurate.”

I simply deduced from your overly generous clues that he was secretary or assistant to the First Sea Lord, mon uncle, and a quick search through the extensive library flagged him up. 

Makes a change for me to bark up the correct tree for once. 😊

This chap was convicted (in England) for high treason and sentenced to death. Nevertheless his son fought for us in the army.

20191216_154035.jpg.a25d1d17173eeeb38133a92ad4ec8983.jpg