Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

17 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I only came across this fellow a few days ago via a day's battlefield tour organised by our local WWI Heritage Society. This young man was widely travelled and had interests in various faiths and worlds.

In full that is The Society for the Heritage of WWI in Israel, so we're talking here about the battlefields of the EEF.

A landscape of legends and myths, together with various religions; Christian, Moslem, Jewish, Druse and Bahá'í.

Some believe that this young officer's influence helped save very important members of one of these religious communities in 1918

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

One of Allenby's lot then?

How close to Allenby is open to debate, as some would have it that this fellow was indeed an influence on the General

Well.....the sun, the sand and the flies are probably not your ideal environment.

Would you feel more comfortable in Somerset, say looking around Glastonbury, or listening to steam radio and waiting to hear Big Ben strike 9 p.m?

Edited by michaeldr

Before I make an a** of myself and suggest who I think it is, am I on the right track with Glastonbury cup and 9 p.m. call to prayers?

Its late now so will pick up tomorrow evening👍

Edited by Knotty

Well done; I think you've got him 

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

Its late now so will pick up tomorrow evening👍

I won't say any more just yet then, as I think that you're entitled to a victory lap 

:thumbsup:

I’m pretty sure that it is Wellesley Tudor Pole, spiritualist and a rather eccentric (my words) soldier who saved Abdul Baha from the Turkish Army. All this from joining as Marine, and via the Cheshire’s,Devons & Military Intelligence. (see the link)

During the First World War, while waiting to go into battle on a hill overlooking Jerusalem the idea for the future Silent Minute observance was formulated. Finally in 1940 WTP acted on this idea and worked with the Prime Minister Churchill and the Government to instigate the Big Ben Silent Minute at 9p.m. each evening on the BBC up until 1964.

Before that, In 1906, aged 23, he found a sapphire blue bowl buried in the ground at Glastonbury that led him on a life-long quest in search of evidence for the original teachings of Jesus, equating the find to being the Holy Grail.

He passed away in 1968 still a bit of an enigma.

Be prepared for an extensive read with the link below

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellesley_Tudor_Pole

Very well done Knotty,

Wellesley Tudor Pole OBE, it is.

see here https://bahai-library.com/osborn_life_tudor_pole [or https://bahai-library.com/pdf/o/osborn_life_tudor_pole.pdf ] for a good description of his life and in particular see pages 9 & 10 regarding the culmination of the Palestine campaign.

Lil Osborn's account (WTP providing intelligence to Allenby) is quite reasonable. He may also have been pressing people in the UK for action in favour of the leaders of the Bahai faith.

However, I am given to understand that the authors of 'The Servant, the General and Armageddon' (Derwent and Roderic Maude, Oxford: George Ronald Publisher, 1998) take this further and they have WTP persuading Allenby to abandon a plan for 1918 whereby he would advance northwards up the Jordan Valley, and instead WTP gets Allenby to make his famous left hook up the coastal plain and across country in the area of Megiddo. Thus moving his army close enough to Haifa and Acco so that these places could be quickly taken, and so saving the leaders of the Bahai faith from the Ottomans.

This, to my mind, is just not plausible, and there is no reference to any of it in the collected correspondence 'Allenby in Palestine' edited by Matthew Hughes

Thanks for your interest

Michael

Yes, well played John. 

Not for the first time, I didn't manage to get out of the starting blocks with that one.

Who is this chap???

Clue.....War and peace.

20191125_190313.jpg.60ebe1e970dfcc01e2ae72c8523f22c1.jpg

11 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is it a young “Butcher of Ypres”

Got him in one John, well played. 

Berthold von Deimling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berthold_von_Deimling

It’s ironic that he looked a little like my son-in-laws father, who’s memorial service was this afternoon. Been on the go most of the day and just got back. We were privy to a copy of the order of service and the cover featured a picture of him as a young man. (Early 70’s with teacher)

I was a pure guess, without any thought.......... totally undeserved.

Edited by Knotty

13 hours ago, Knotty said:

It’s ironic that he looked a little like my son-in-laws father, who’s memorial service was this afternoon. Been on the go most of the day and just got back. We were privy to a copy of the order of service and the cover featured a picture of him as a young man. (Early 70’s with teacher)

I was a pure guess, without any thought.......... totally undeserved.

There are lucky guesses, but then there are educated guesses. Again I say, well played!

This chap had plenty to write about,but not at this point in time (1916-1918)

183DB3D1-A5E3-4FE1-A74A-9B54021DB971.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

War correspondent in WW2?

Ron

Four days and still no takers?

Clue three.....Finished the war as a Major

Supplementary clue.... After the war he stayed around at an incident to get a scoop

Greg Clark - Late of the Canadian Mounted Rifles.  "Scoop" threw me utterly.  Shunted me down a Evelyn Waugh shaped dead end.  

Well done Gunner, I thought I was the only one on here.😀

Greg Clark it is, celebrated Canadian journalist whose career started in 1911, and apart from his war service carried on through to the early 1970’s, he was a war correspondent in WW2.

The scoop I referred to was the Moose River mining disaster where he remained despite all other journalists giving up hope for those trapped, after they left he was there when the survivors made contact and the story goes that after 11days they were rescued with Clark providing 24 hr radio coverage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Clark_(journalist)

Once again I couldn't make any progress with that one. I must be losing my mojo.

Well done Gunner.

Edited by neverforget

To be fair,  Knotty,  there wasn't much more you could do without blurting the name out in clear.   Been slow here recently,  many of the old guard seem missing in action. 

Still,  I feel the depth of my ignorance is reducing with each WIT posted 

R. 

Ok let’s keep it going.

Not a notable war record but pretty good in his chosen field, bit of a cat person

0843DE22-FC4A-417B-BCAF-B8A6AB5DCE5E.jpeg

Again I'm clueless. Wouldn't even be able to hazard a guess as to his nationality, such is my ignorance on uniforms etc.

Funny you should say that he's a bit of a cat person. Our poor old cat died about 2 hours ago. Passed away peacefully after 19 years, but it's never long enough is it?