Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Sir Alan Lascelles; Edward V111's private secretary. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lascelles

Yes! ‘Tommy’ Lascelles was awarded the MC for his service in France and became Assistant Private Secretary to the Prince of Wales (who he described as ‘half child, half genius’). 

The great Marina Hyde has this to say in Today’s ‘Guardian’:

“Alan Lascelles, the legendary royal private secretary who had once hugely admired Edward VIII (then Prince of Wales), ended up exasperated into disgust at him. ‘The King gave me an MVO for looking after his son,’ he noted in his diary. ‘It was the hardest-earned medal I ever had.’ Lascelles had previously been awarded the Military Cross for his service on the western front.

(I’m quite surprised the Mods let this one through, to be honest).

Image from here: 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101838/Medals-First-World-War-hero-Royal-Household-legend-emerged-sale-time.html

Interestingly I was just looking at Alan Lacelles' signature; having become private secretary to George VI he signed this letter in 1943, expressing sympathy for the loss of two sons.

Pete.

475815482_BuckinghamPalaceLetter.jpg.6795156c0e96db18d0474796ad54e3a1.jpg

The letter comes from my friend Eddie Penlington.

This chap could be said to have stepped back as a senior member of a (once) royal family. One hopes he was successful in his attempts to carve out a progressive new role and to work to become financially independent. I’m sure he provided his family with the space to focus on the next chapter: he became a Jesuit priest. 

But who is he ? ?  ?

969EA924-4DF2-4A42-AEE4-6A9E86975E01.jpeg

I have searched for several hours, (well my pc has) and I have 4 possibilities  to check out, using the criteria of Jesuit priest. It has came up with the following “noble” houses as having candidates as follows:-
House of Hadzfeld

House of Limburger-Sterum

House of Schwerin
House of Wettin

Is he in one of these or do I need to look elsewhere?

26 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

He was Georg, the last Crown Prince of Saxony, an excellent and topical challenge.

Yes indeed. Wikipedia (also the source of the photo) tells us: “In 1919, he decided to renounce his rights on the Saxon throne, and become a Catholic priest instead. This decision was very controversial among people ...”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg,_Crown_Prince_of_Saxony

Been on here before, years back, and is known for his connection to the newspaper’s 

Sorry about the picture quality

CFCD4D8F-4148-432C-A53C-7C2D8906852C.jpeg

The world's most famous paperboy perhaps?

Yep that’s him, don’t think I have ever seen the newspaper picture for his obit., but then again I might have.
You need his name for the point though😬

Let's leave the clue for our new chums and see if it helps......

Good idea, when they post his name, make sure you give a link to the forum thread where his relative posted a very moving full story of his war service and how he was KIA just 2 weeks before the Armistice.  A titanic struggle for the young man 6 years after the other well known picture was taken.

17 hours ago, Knotty said:

You need his name for the point though😬

It's not the winning, it's the taking part......

10 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Good idea, when they post his name, make sure you give a link to the forum thread where his relative posted a very moving full story of his war service and how he was KIA just 2 weeks before the Armistice.  A titanic struggle for the young man 6 years after the other well known picture was taken.

Good one WSL and and an excellent suggestion......

Pete.

I think it is Edward Parfett the newspaper seller.  His story was moving and who knew his fate the day that photo of him ‘at work’  was taken.  

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Got it, Alison, and here is @domwalsh's thread:

Thank you I wish these were the stories history lessons were made of I really think our students would learn so much more! The relatives must be so proud but what a sad end. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Hi Alison

You’ve definitely got the hang of this now, Edward John “Ned” Parfett MM it is, made famous by his picture as a newspaper vendor in Trafalgar Square, apart from his family, mainly “forgotten” ever since.

Thank you sJ for posting the original, saved me doing it👍, I was to busy trying to find a bit of my bike which someone decided to run over 🤣😁.

John

As long as you didn't run over the Sprocket.....

Image result for sprocket fraggle rock

John,

Recognise these?

82173824_3346841075386768_5443934643260751872_o.jpg

Nasty!

How did someone not realise they were missing, we can only speculate and I know the conclusion that I would come up with....purloined 

Or someone ran over the bike - to be hoped when the cyclist was not on it, but we are in Oxford after all (overnight stay only).

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Or someone ran over the bike

I thought that at first, but it needs to be have the component parts removed so various bolts would have to be taken out.....who knows, speculation. As you say hope there was nobody involved.

Edited by Knotty

so quiet around here... y'all snowed in??? 

or looking for inspiration?? 

M.