Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

That’s him Gunner, nephew not adverse to writing himself, Osmund Bartle Wordsworth, who was nephew to the poet William Wordsworth, was born in Glaston, Rutland on 17th May 1887.

When war broke out in 1914, Osmund was in Canada about to take up a teaching post.  Joined by one of his sisters, Osmund booked his passage home on the RMS "Lusitania".  He and his sister survived the sinking - Osmund gave his life-belt to another passenger.

I'm afraid that after my  I Zingari guess,  I resorted to checking pages of passenger lists on http://www.rmslusitania.info/people/  Hope this isn't actual cheating!  Found him at the bottom of the 2nd class passenger list.  Saw Wordsworth ,wondered, then wandered, -well blundered treally into the answer,.  Salisbury catheral publish a rather lovely pdf article about him,

https://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Salisbury/Salisbury - Roll of Honour - Osmond Bartle Wordsworth (Cathedral).pdf

Edited by Gunner Hall

No that’s not cheating, I would say using common sense to find out an answer, fair play.

Thanks for the article it looks very interesting, something to read later on.

Edited by Knotty

Easy one this, he should have got a VC had he been one of ours, dab hand with a Lewis though.

A6397ABA-5B2D-467F-A5C4-4C99301670BA.jpeg

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

Easy one this, he should have got a VC had he been one of ours, dab hand with a Lewis though.

A6397ABA-5B2D-467F-A5C4-4C99301670BA.jpeg

I'm struggling to see the picture but from your clues I wonder if he might be from England's oldest ally and that the lines around Neuve Chapelle may have been the location? If it is it's serendipity because I'm just in the process of writing about him.

Pete.

P.S. Did I pick up that you are not at your tickety boo best at the moment John? Something to do with Beecham's powders and some advice from Michelle? If so I hope you are soon feeling better.

Hope the picture appears this time.If not let me know and I will try another

Yes to the oldest ally

No to Neuve Chapelle

Man-flu, feeling better than this morning. Beechams first time in 40 odd years👍

D6F82A70-D38D-45E3-96A9-F5196BCE64CF.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

That's the man I was thinking of John, honest. Although most of the histories of the three days in question talk about Estaires (which the battlefield nomenclature committee settled on for that phase of Georgette) our man and his comrades started the day around Neuve Chapelle, but were forced back very quickly. I could do with finding out what the frontage they were holding.

Pete.

P.S. Glad to hear that you are on the mend. Retro flu medicine - back to the future......

I bow to your knowledge on this Pete, I have the above plus they also add the Battle of Lys. A quick search says they were at Isberg(?) covering the retreat of the Portuguese and Scots

16 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I bow to your knowledge on this Pete, I have the above plus they also add the Battle of Lys. A quick search says they were at Isberg(?) covering the retreat of the Portuguese and Scots

I'm not sure about knowledge John, I know a bit about the area. I am a member of the unofficial friends of the Forgotten Front on the forum (for chairperson I think fellow flu sufferer and moderating influence M. Young would be perfect). I too read the article in the extensive library and was trying to work out where Isberg or the Isberg is, the nearest location with that name I can find is a peak just north of Frankfurt-am-Main. I suspect the article has been translated from the language of our man.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
pants punctuation

Splendid fellah, this one. One lewis stopping two whole  German regiments.  This Isberg plsce, could it refer to Richebourg? Just outside Neuve Chapelle, where the Indian Memorial is,  just pondering on how Tommies mangled the local place names. 

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

Splendid fellah, this one. One lewis stopping two whole  German regiments.  This Isberg plsce, could it refer to Richebourg? Just outside Neuve Chapelle, where the Indian Memorial is,  just pondering on how Tommies mangled the local place names. 

I wondered that too Gunner, honest (guv). As my old mum used to say, great minds think alike (but she'd usually follow that up with fools seldom differ). I wonder if the the translation from the Portuguese might be a factor here. The story is as you say quite splendid (but maybe a little embelished) but either way it is a bit of an antidote to the view that the collapse in the face of the German onslaught in the fog was all down to the Portuguese divisions. I will dismount from my high horse at this point.....

Pete.

I'll believe you!  Richebourg came to mind when i discovered there were at least 3 baftalions of the TR DLI  there, plus the Scots and "Soldier Millions" and his Lewis. I can imagine what "Richebourg " sounds like when mangled by native Durham pitmatic, Scots and Portugeuse speakers.

Edited by Gunner Hall

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'll believe you!  Richebourg came to mind when i discovered there were at least 3 baftalions of the TR DLI  there, plus the Scots and "Soldier Millions" and his Lewis. I can imagine what "Richebourg " sounds like when mangled by native Durham pitmatic, Scots and Portugeuse speakers.

You're a toff guv and no mistake.

Morning guys, —just surfaced after a rough night, now have bronchitis- boll*cks.

Anyway as you say there does not appear to be such a place as Isberg, so we can gloss over that, just need the guys name to finish off. 

ps just opening up one of those seasonal gifts, 2 x books, Battle of the Lys, the North & the South, by Nigel Cave, mainly to get an angle on the whole battle. Done Givenchy as a family member was lost at Orchard Keep.

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Morning guys, —just surfaced after a rough night, now have bronchitis- boll*cks.

Anyway as you say there does not appear to be such a place as Isberg, so we can gloss over that, just need the guys name to finish off. 

ps just opening up one of those seasonal gifts, 2 x books, Battle of the Lys, the North & the South, by Nigel Cave, mainly to get an angle on the whole battle. Done Givenchy as a family member was lost at Orchard Keep.

Oh dear, sorry your suffering, mate. Perhaps you should make an appointment with the Doc. Hopefully you'll be better by the time your appointment finally comes around.

Hope you recover soon. 

Sorry, forgot to name our last man, but it appeared that everyone knew who he was anyway. Anibal Milhais, the humble Great War hero of Portugal. Get better soon John, I do hope that the description of your condition is an expletive and not the location of the infection. If not it may not be bronchitis. Keep us posted.

Pete.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

👍

I hope that goes for your wellbeing as well.

Here's a chap who's record for naughtiness reads worse than my grammar school reports. An absolutely appalling record of having his wrist and backside smacked, but also a Military Medal winner with an outstanding record of accounting for the enemy.

Decided to make the enemy account,and then some for the death of one of his mates. Became known as an author of a pretty well known book..

One or two clues in the photo:

20200125_215132.jpg.40617deae74e214d8f6042e4a7342f59.jpg

Edited by neverforget

32 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Here's a chap who's record for naughtiness reads worse than my grammar school reports. An absolutely appalling record of having his wrist and backside smacked, but also a Military Medal winner with an outstanding record of accounting for the enemy.

Decided to make the enemy account,and then some for the death of one of his mates. Became known as an author of a pretty well known book..

One or two clues in the photo:

20200125_215132.jpg.40617deae74e214d8f6042e4a7342f59.jpg

Is he Herbert McBride?

No fooling you U.G. Well doe; McBride it is.

Interesting read here:

http://looserounds.com/2018/08/28/herbert-w-mcbride/

Are we starting a night shift?

Italy saw this mans war, millions saw his later endeavours

501948FE-A43B-44BF-B389-78252FB1FF0C.jpeg

I thought I would win a Logie for my first guess but John Logie Baird was rejected as unfit for WW1 service.  Millions saw his later endeavours.

G’day WhitestarLine 

Not Mr Baird, but I think you are starting to get my silly cryptic reference👍

Working on a hunch that he might be an artist, who appears to be an officer attached to the Royal Artillery, a bit of hunting through the extensive library came up with this, so I'm going to suggest Ernest Shepard 

Screenshot_20200126-090048_Chrome.jpg.805baede334db50a8a5a95db538b2b9d.jpg