Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

So that was based loosely on the Holzminden POW camp escape of 28/29 inmates, so who has the definitive list😁

49 minutes ago, Knotty said:

So that was based loosely on the Holzminden POW camp escape of 28/29 inmates, so who has the definitive list😁

My chap did indeed escape from Holzminden. I believe he had previously escaped from Schweidnitz. From what I can gather he became an Air Commodore. 

3 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

or the Pharaoh Khufu

Ah, Land of the Pharaohs, one of my favourite films from childhood. Also starred Joan Collins as a rather duplicitous princess who got her comeuppance at the end, and (IIRC) James Robertson Justice as the chief pyramid builder.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ah, Land of the Pharaohs, one of my favourite films from childhood. Also starred Joan Collins as a rather duplicitous princess who got her comeuppance at the end, and (IIRC) James Robertson Justice as the chief pyramid builder.

Ron

Abosolutely, cracking film.  James Robinson Justice and Jack Hawkins. Who could ask for more. Joan Collins as Nellifer  never looked better imho...Actually, and I've just spotted this, Jack Hawkins played one more Great War part - He was Franz Josef in "Oh what a lovely war*

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

My chap did indeed escape from Holzminden. I believe he had previously escaped from Schweidnitz.

The only man I can find that fits the bill for escaping both is Lieutenant Colonel Charles Edward Henry Rathborne, (Royal Marine L I & RNAS) allegedly the first man out of the tunnel at Holzminden

https://wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/pow/powcamp.php?pid=17956,, 

and a bit more here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-6266703/The-Escape-Artists-Neal-Bascomb.html

Struggling to find the same picture as posted......give me sometime👍

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

The only man I can find that fits the bill for escaping both is Lieutenant Colonel Charles Edward Henry Rathborne, (Royal Marine L I & RNAS) allegedly the first man out of the tunnel at Holzminden

https://wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/pow/powcamp.php?pid=17956,, 

and a bit more here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-6266703/The-Escape-Artists-Neal-Bascomb.html

Struggling to find the same picture as posted......give me sometime👍

Yes indeed - Rathborne (sometimes spelt ‘Rathbone’, as in ‘wartimesmemoriesproject’) was, it seems, the SBO (a term I remember from ‘Colditz’) at Holzminden.

Image from here:https://www.crossandcockade.com/uploads/Great_Escape.pdf

12 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

goodness… I think I remember that one… is that the scene where she 's standing in the burial chamber, the builders all quietly sit down while she notices the pyramid is closing??? seen it once, but THAT scene kinda stayed (used to be big into ancient Egypt...)

but I'm glad we figured out all the rest, started to get mixed up a bit, no??

M.

On 29/01/2020 at 22:12, Gunner Hall said:

Actually, and I've just spotted this, Jack Hawkins played one more Great War part - He was Franz Josef in "Oh what a lovely war*

Yes! It was a non-speaking part because he had lost his voice owing to throat cancer. The part of Wilhelm II was played by Kenneth More.

Ron

11 hours ago, stripeyman said:

No its not the mans name that has woman involved but he is associated with an item that has a woman's name....

I'm lost… what picture are we talking about??

M.

7 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Yes! It was a non-speaking part because he had lost his voice owing to throat cancer. The part of Wilhelm II was played by Kenneth More.

Ron

Oh, the irony. Jack Hawkins (The Cruel sea) Kenneth More ( Sink the Bismark) playing the KuK and Kaiser. Just needs Anthony Quayle to play Erich Ludendorff to complete the absurdity. Btw, I have no clue who this latest wit is, this despite going through the entire inmate list......

Edited by Gunner Hall

17 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is he that Lieutenant Pitet, who is said to have invented a modified ‘Rosalie’?

No sir, not him. He was a 'commander'.

Edited by stripeyman

Before I go on another wild goose chase, was the gentleman a “commander” of a tank given a ladies name, or am I still barking up the wrong tree?

23 hours ago, Knotty said:

You missed the ‘n’out 😁

Sorry, my haste.

The mystery man was not too fond of the RFC.