Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I was thinking of an old film - is his name L’Arc? 

Was he killed at Rouen?

Next question will be was he executed?

Allan Leane, 48th Battalion AIF (Joan of Arc battalion), KIA Bullecourt

I'm guessing AIF then (which would have ruled out execution in any case)

WhitestarLine takes the prize.👍

Allan Leane it is.

Sorry NF pipped towards the post ,you were getting there👍

One of 5 brothers all officers in the 48th Division, between them they had 6 sons also serving in the 48th as well as 3 cousins.

Quote from wiki as to the Joan reference ... The 48th became known throughout the AIF as the "Joan of Arc Battalion" because it was "made of All-Leanes" (Maid of Orleans).

Raymond Leane commanded both the 48th Div. and 12th Brigade see below

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Leane

General view of the family

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/100-years-on-how-the-bloody-battle-of-bullecourt-changed-the-leane-family-20170405-gve47p.html

Edited by Knotty

Great stuff well done I would not have got there! 

A classic WiT? John. Great spot by WSL, and fiendish clues as ever. I followed Alison's thinking last night and had a top time looking at Domrémy, Rouen and Orleans, finding lots of fun facts along the way. All absolutely useless of course, I wouldn't have got it in a month of Sundays.

Pete.

Was he involved in the retelling of her story -set in the trenches?

Just a play on words Gunner, nothing more I’m afraid.

A brave and interesting family. They are referenced in David Coombes book “Bloody Bullecourt” a study in the futile attempt to rush an offensive ( my words, others may disagree.? WhitestarLine what’s your take?)
Allan was nephew to Brigadier Raymond Leane commanding, who had the misfortune to be standing near his brother Ben (again Bullecourt) when a German shell blew him to bits. The Brigadier helped in collecting up his brothers body parts. Unbelievable......😧

Edited by Knotty

Fiendish WIT Knotty.  Apologies as I do seem to be operating on "Gunner Time" today , - i.e considerably later than any one else.  I posted my last just after your 12626.   

Edited by Gunner Hall

Totally new to this WW1 version of Guess Who.. are there any rules?  

10 minutes ago, Becstar said:

Totally new to this WW1 version of Guess Who.. are there any rules?  

Welcome to WiT, Becstar. The only ones really (and they have been flouted so often) are: the use of photo-recognition is just not cricket; and the simple googling of passages of text is frowned-upon. Otherwise, have fun.

Thanks @Uncle George. I’ll chime in if I have any worthy guesses/answers.

No photo recognition cheating, am technologically challenged.
Cheers

-Bec

Edited by Becstar
spelling

Hi Becstar

Welcome to WiT (Guess who....🤫)

As UG says the rules are simple, however I don’t think anyone on here is squeaky clean in following them to the letter.😇

Just enjoy it, if you have anything please just put them/it on here.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but this is the second reincarnation of WIT so there are plenty of candidates on here already, you have to do a search occasionally. Having said that most of us are at an age where we forget 🤣🤣,so we probably won’t notice a repeat

Watch all of the nice complimentary replies I get now😁

John

Just coming back to Allen Leane for a moment... wasn't there something about three men from the same family killed in a very short time? Think I read somewhere that the matriarch lost son and grandson the same day... need to read up on Bullecourt a bit.

Greetings from the new laptop (yes, got a new toy... more easily accessible and transportable) 

M. 

Hi Marilyne

Yep that’s the same family.  5 of 6  brothers served , 2 were Kia, and they had their 5 sons serving also 2 were Kia.

Hope you are very happy with your new toy😁

3 hours ago, Becstar said:

am technologically challenged

A warm welcome Bec, you will fit right in, I pretend to know how photo recognition works but I haven't a clue really.

Pete.

Quite a day for the Royals. Some, uncharitable, have used the words “selfish,” entitled,” “privileged,” and (perhaps the worst and most hurtful) “foreign”.

Who’s this then ? ? ?

1371AD0B-A1F4-467E-B043-C209408F6F1B.jpeg

One of the Bowes-Lyons?

17 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

One of the Bowes-Lyons?

No. My chap was to do with, and took a dim view of, one who unwisely married an American divorcee and who was felt to have rather let the side down.

Looks like Charles Aubrey Smith, the cricketer turned actor, I would have thought to old for service, but he did portray “officer types” in films. Can’t connect him to the Royal family, except for the King in Prisoner of Zelda.

Hi UG

I will retract the above as I posted before I read you additional information.