Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

16 hours ago, neverforget said:

... Dickson it is ...

I was very sure, within a couple of seconds, that he was this chap, who had an influence upon Kitchener and Churchill, and who died in 1914. I was wrong, of course. But who is he ? ? ?

1CEA50AE-2F0D-4B7B-BA8E-A8849B97D952.jpeg

No idea U.G. Was he another RHA?

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Was he another RHA?

No - 9th Lancers. His more famous brother served with the Royal Artillery during the First war.

Riversdale Grenfell?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Riversdale Grenfell?

No. My chap died on the Retreat from Mons but his more famous brother survived the First war and served closely with WSC on a later occasion.

Major Victor Reginald Brooke, CIE, DSO. 9th (Queens Royal) Lancers KIA  29th August 1914. One time ADC to Kitchener.  His brother was Field Marshal Alan Brooke, R.A. aka Colonel Shrapnel, himself.

Edited by Gunner Hall

11 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Major Victor Reginald Brooke, CIE, DSO. 9th (Queens Royal) Lancers KIA  29th August 1914. One time ADC to Kitchener.

WSC: “I know these Brookes – stiff-necked Ulstermen and there's no one worse to deal with than that!"

Yes, Victor Brooke, Churchill’s Boer War friend, ADC and then Assistant Military Secretary to Kitchener from 1902 to 1907. Alanbrooke’s brother.

Image here: http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/Canterbury9thLancers.html

It seems he received his wounds at the action at Elouges on the 24th.     http://ep.ita.ph/519

Edited by Gunner Hall

2 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

It seems he received his wounds at the action at Elouges on the 24th.     http://ep.ita.ph/519

“It was a fine ending to a fine life. Victor Brooke was known, if only as Military Secretary in India, to thousands; but it was by tens of thousands that he was liked and loved ... “

https://c85e9fe6-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/jockeypedia9/brooke-victor/brook.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqRHzIgSY55PaH5wfjIfX6bvHpQaOnYNNXd4Ir6x4PDjOZMIJfepGxVUCMS9EdAhpfN7e6zHygvsGVDxE6pGik5tHQ03Jw5tjjKGCelnethyTJPOxG29yXNDPUPLEWgtR_p2780Td2YvN4YGH-KbdatbNa-f8-h1GIRpSzt3wvCg_AvpCQrnXXBX_sYnrOXwv20vV7bKSMWOnHLPT0j-u2n1ozInZ6GDnnCCcHoza7JklTqs4o%3D&attredirects=1

This from Birdwood's autobiography Khaki & Gown

It grieves me to realise that, of all the staff who went to India with Kitchener, I am now [1941] the sole survivor. The war of 1914-1918 accounted for Kitchener himself, Hubert Hamilton, Marker, Maxwell and Victor Brooke. I was devoted to Victor, a hard-working and most lovable man......"

image.png.a1c790799913b06ad946f9d9cc271c7f.png

While we wait for someone to cue up another corker, I’ll continue the quick fire round.

Image courtesy of Wikipedia

First clue, this isn’t Dustin Hoffman….

She certainly died there, Knotty, and not in the theatrical sense.

Next clue:     She played the same character in several series. In one, she played the long suffering wife of a man who seemingly had an entire cavalry corps named after him.

Hi Gunner

I actually met her there in the early/ mid 70s with her second husband, he was a very interesting man, and very closely associated with her first husband a well known film director and studio owner, not to be confused with a well known England Rugby captain.

I won’t divulge, leave it to the rest of the team.

Edited by Knotty

No other takers?  Knotty is right. BTW.  How about this - I believe the 2nd, 3rd and fourth in line to the throne  met their public for the first time, on the steps of a building in a street with the same name as her stage surname. 

I've been all over the place with this one but just can get it. 

I've tried actresses with the stage name Praed and Wharf. Can't find an English rugby captain with the same name as a film studio other than Beaumont, which doesn't seem to fit the bill either.

Stuck; and not for the lack of trying.🤔

Never forget, your rugby captain is correct but this has nothing to do with the film studio. Her husband was present at the battle of the Somme and the Battle of the Ancre and witnessed the advance of the tanks. He knew how to handle a crank, how he would cope with a mk4 starter handle is a matter for conjecture.

Is it Gladys Mary Peterkin Mitchell (actress Ena Beaumont)?

This is another cracker GH, following on from stripeyman's classic (which may have been his WiT? debut - if it was it is all the more impressive). I didn't get very far I am afraid, but then I am a bear of very little brain........

image.png.70e06c119e8d5cf8918bdda27e6decf4.png

Image courtesy of the former Lt. E. H. Sheppard MC Royal Garrison Artillery......

Pete.

Bravo, neverforget. Ena Beaumont. Briefly married to Geoffrey H Mailins, cinematographer of the Battle of the Somme, played Tootsie Sloper, in the A!!y Sloper films, (Ally Sloper's Half Holiday etc).  Knotty met her in Truro  just before she died.  She played the lead in " the Girl from Downing Street" Where she played a spy who stole the plans for the Hindenberg line. She was a talented swimmer, and appeared in many of the "Our Girls and their Physique" film series, Which I haven't had the nerve to google.

The steps, btw, refer to the front entrance of King Edward the VII  hospital for officers, now in Beaumont Street. I think that the Duke of Cambridge, Princes George and Louis and Princess Charlotte were introduced to the press tbefe.

Edited by Gunner Hall

I seem to remember that somewhere in the dusty archives of WiT? there may be another example of one of the inmates actually knowing one of the subjects personally, but it's impressive stuff by John none the less. And given the vagaries of memory it may well be a WiT? first. Top stuff all round chums.

Pete.

And to keep up the fun stuff who is this?

image.png.f7ec993e1f82972438e3bbe9f62c10e5.png

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

This is another cracker GH, following on from stripeyman's classic (which may have been his WiT? debut - if it was it is all the more impressive). I didn't get very far I am afraid, but then I am a bear of very little brain........

image.png.70e06c119e8d5cf8918bdda27e6decf4.png

Image courtesy of the former Lt. E. H. Sheppard MC Royal Garrison Artillery......

Pete.

Thank you Pete, I'm getting the hang of this now. I can do obscure, but creating fiendish and tantalising clues lets me down. Gosh, I'd rather assumed that stripeyman was a regular wit contributor, given the strength of his last innings.

2 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Thank you Pete, I'm getting the hang of this now. I can do obscure, but creating fiendish and tantalising clues lets me down. Gosh, I'd rather assumed that stripeyman was a regular wit contributor, given the strength of his last innings.

You are clearly too splendid a chap to do fiendish GH, it takes a certain lack of moral fibre I find, which is why it is second nature to me. Clues of a fiendish and wilfully obscure nature are available for my man should you wish........

Pete.

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

You are clearly too splendid a chap to do fiendish GH, it takes a certain lack of moral fibre I find, which is why it is second nature to me. Clues of a fiendish and wilfully obscure nature are available for my man should you wish........

Pete.

Oh please.I can't even make out the cap badge!