Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

20 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Houston

UG quoted the above.......

I can identify the prisoner with the number 12272, ( cryptic clue on his name  = watching for the enemy with an extra t) but no clue as to the top photo.

Hope help comes soon......to quote Eastenders “Doing my ‘ead in!”

Thanks Knotty,  Both were involved in the Camp Logan Incident.  1917  Pvt Leroy Pinkett,  (Prisoner 12272)  The other is the man who confirmed the sentence. Brig.  General  John Wilson Ruckman  I hope his gunnery skills were better than his attempts at jurisprudence.  

Not one usually wont to contradict royalty, Your Higness, but I rather think he was in the second batch of Ruckmans victims,  when he realised he’d over stepped the legal process.  He got life, Reduced to 28 years 6 months and was released on parole  on 3rd June 1927, according to the state archive.

Edited by Gunner Hall

31 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Thanks Knotty,  Both were involved in the Camp Logan Incident.  1917  Pvt Leroy Pinkett,  (Prisoner 12272)  The other is the man who confirmed the sentence. Brig.  General  John Wilson Ruckman  I hope his gunnery skills were better than his attempts at jurisprudence.  

Yes indeed. They of the 1917 Houston Riot. Wiki spells 12272’s name as ‘Pickett’, and tells us he was sprung in 1935. Wiki is the source of his photo. Ruckman’s photo from here https://www.geni.com/people/Major-General-John-Wilson-Ruckman/6000000027525127663

16 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes indeed. They of the 1917 Houston Riot. Wiki spells 12272’s name as ‘Pickett’, and tells us he was sprung in 1935. Wiki is the source of his photo. Ruckman’s photo from here https://www.geni.com/people/Major-General-John-Wilson-Ruckman/6000000027525127663

Ah, Pickett,  That explains Knotty's clue.  The only words I could think of at the time were "Patrol" and  "Vadette"   Neither could stand an extra "t" !  

Thanks guys & gals, just got back in.
At least I was half way there with Camp Logan and Pickett, as for the other chap I was miles away.

Edited by Knotty

Pickett, eh? One thinks of Pickett’s Charge. This chap didn’t serve at Gettysburg - he was busy in the Western Theatre, prior to serving, a couple of months later, at Chickamauga. Anyway, who is he? ? ?

4D99FA1C-1881-4F3B-B945-20408AC9D0B1.jpeg

I'm not going to answer that, because you're really making it too easy right now... as the guy died RIGHT HERE in my new favorite American City. 

M. 

PS: the march was great !! 

PSS: we won "best military team" !! 

Before I start searching for his name, is he the young drummer, who became a General ? 

Edited by Knotty

19 hours ago, Knotty said:

Before I start searching for his name, is he the young drummer, who became a General ? 

Yes - he was promoted to Major General in August 1916.

Finally found him, (my own fault looking in the wrong place....the Confederate army), it is John Lincoln Clem (or Klem), allegedly only 10 or so when he went into combat at the battle of Shiloh, there is no substantial evidence that actually happen, however it is documented that he was at the battle Chickamauga as a drummer boy. His career took him through to 1915 and the rank of Brigadier General when he retired, but was again promoted to Major General in 1916.

He passed away in 1937 age 85 and is buried in Marilyne’s new favourite town of San Antonio, all to be found here :-

https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Johnny_Klem and here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clem

46 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Finally found him, (my own fault looking in the wrong place....the Confederate army), it is John Lincoln Clem (or Klem), allegedly only 10 or so when he went into combat at the battle of Shiloh, there is no substantial evidence that actually happen, however it is documented that he was at the battle Chickamauga as a drummer boy. His career took him through to 1915 and the rank of Brigadier General when he retired, but was again promoted to Major General in 1916.

He passed away in 1937 age 85 and is buried in Marilyne’s new favourite town of San Antonio, all to be found here :-

https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Johnny_Klem and here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clem

Yes, that’s him. Image and story from here: 

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/mcnamarasblog/2011/09/johnny-clem-%e2%80%9cthe-drummer-boy-of-chickamauga%e2%80%9d.html

He served in the Quartermaster Corps; so, to wrench this thread effing and blinding back on-topic -

https://archive.org/details/quartermastercor00sharrich

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Marilyne’s new favourite town of San Antonio,

New favourite AMERICAN Town... there's much better on this side of the Atlantic... where I'm back at, by the way... 

M.

5 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

New favourite AMERICAN Town

Ok,ok missed out the American.....now wait for Biff to pipe up.

Back safe and sound without any sniffles one hopes👍

I don't know if we have had this man before:

GWFArtist.jpg.9e14ce08cb8a7642acbe25c5feeaafad.jpg

An artist at work! Served in Warwickshire Regiment and Labour Corps.

RM

Will give source of picture later!

Edited by rolt968

Bruce Barnsfather? 

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

I don't know if we have had this man before:

I don't think it matters much anymore, the thread has been going for so long and I can't remember who was posted last month. Looks an interesting one; E H Shepherd sprang to mind but he was RGA, and Alison's suggestion was my next thought, right regiment but wrong build somehow.

Pete.

The usual account is that he was invalided out. I have found his Medal Rolls and Pension Card and he seems to have served in the Labour Corps until about 1919.

21 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Bruce Barnsfather? 

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Looks an interesting one; E H Shepherd sprang to mind but he was RGA, and Alison's suggestion was my next thought, right regiment but wrong build somehow.

The dog is quite significant.

RM

Puppy and I by A A Milne? Officer in the Royal Warwickshire’s

I thought Milne served in Signals and later in Intelligence??

M.

12 hours ago, Knotty said:

Puppy and I by A A Milne? Officer in the Royal Warwickshire’s

No. The dog was a  dachshund and featured in quite a lot of his art.

RM

I have a recollection of a cartoonist who drew dachshunds but I'm completely incapable of remembering anything more. I have learned about how the breed became unpopular during the war but I fear I am I barking up the wrong tree (from very low down it, now I come to think about it).

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

25 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I have a recollection of a cartoonist who drew dachshunds but I'm completely incapable of remembering anything more. I have learned about how the breed became unpopular during the war but I fear I am I barking up the wrong tree (from very low down it, now I come to think about it).

Pete.

This dachshund even had a German name. He drew it a lot during WW2.

Is that Norman Pett? The creator of Jane?

Edited by Knotty