Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I wonder if he's Swiss.

30 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Donald Figg?

Not Figg, you are reading far too much fiendishness into the clues......

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I wonder if he's Swiss.

I don't know what's funnier, the Figg/Swiss roll gags or the quite ludicrous amount of time that it took me to see the funny side. I badly need to get out more and engage with polite society.

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I see what you’ve done there UG, but I think Pete is still on the animal theme.

John is correct as usual. The man in question is a recent acquaintance of one of our merry band.....

Pete.

It's not Tuck, but see what you did there mon oncle; good one, but you are ascribing far more intelligence and cunning to me than is warranted.

The plan isn't as cunning as a fox that's just been made Professor of Cunning at Oxford University*. The member of our merry band is our temporary Texas correspondent, although she may well have marched into Oklahoma by now. A quick whizz around our recent posts may illuminate the search......

Pete.

*other Blackadder quotes are available.

Pretty impressed that no one appears to have gone down the andrex  or Izal Medicated  road.  (Like I did.)  I've been bamboozled by this for ages.  (still don't understand the animal references at all.)  Or the roll for that matter.  Marilyne recently visited  Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery near Poperinge, and posted a photo of the grave of my fellow gunner Lt Leonard Comer Wall  https://grangehill1922.wordpress.com/2017/11/15/leonard-comer-wall/

Rest in peace, brother. 

Edit,  i should have read further.  The  horse "Blackie" which Lt Wall was riding, at the time of his loss,  survived to come back home.  He was lent to the Territorial Army Riding School in Liverpool until he was pensioned off. When he died at the age of 35 years he still carried shrapnel scars.

‘Blackie’ is buried along with Leonard’s medals at the RSPCA Horses Rest at Hunts Cross, Liverpool. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Spot on GH; it is fitting that you should identify him. Leonard and Blackie's story is something I'm writing about at the moment, I think it would give 'War Horse' a run for its money. I'm currently trying to work out where the battery would have been when Leonard was mortally wounded on 8th June 1917. My good friend Mike Royden who did the research for the story places it near Hollandse schuur Farm near Whytshaete but I'm wondering if with the forum's assistance I can narrow it down. I have some uncharacteristically reasonable photos of the ground in front of the position and it would be interesting if I can add a bit to the story. I'm not great with the diaries of RFA brigades despite being the grandson of an RFA driver; if I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed.......

Pete.

P.S. An uncharacteristically reasonable photo, taken with a bit of zoom from next to the two Petit Bois craters looking north towards Ieper in the distance. Hollandse schurr Farm are the buildings on the right of picture on a small but dominant spur. This illustrates for me the precarious nature of the salient in one picture. The wind turbine on the left horizon is on the line of the canal close to the German front lines north of Ypres, while the eastward extent of the salient is way over to the right out of shot at Hill 62. A German artillery observer here is looking at the western approaches to the town.

230700924_YpresfromPetitBoiszoomed.JPG.50cbfcad8d37f981d1d618566edc1c5a.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls
Klingon grammar

I'm not surprised that you have difficulties with the RFA war  diaries.  Particularly if you use Ancestry. Their indexing! Tut. I'm both a gunner and a reference librarian by trade, and I've spent two hours looking for the 275th today and to add insult to injury  found nothing but Sapper diaries.  My colleagues thought I was having a stroke. 

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'm not surprised that you have difficulties with the RFA war  diaries.  Particularly if you use Ancestry. Their indexing! Tut. I'm both a gunner and a reference librarian by trade, and I've spent two hours looking for the 275th today and to add insult to injury  found nothing but Sapper diaries.  My colleagues thought I was having a stroke. 

I used to design and index relational databases in a former life and I'm still unable to understand how Ancestry do it. I am reassured that it's not just me. When I get an offer from Ancestry I now automatically add on the cost of a new laptop and the replacement of the double glazed panel I would end up throwing it through.

Pete

Great to put a face on the name I photographed. 

Pete, you are streching the clues in between the threads!! 

We're still in Texas and here to stay for an extra week. Went to Austin today, visited the Capitol, had a stroll around Lady Bird Lake and then had a cocktail at a very fitting bar called "Group Therapy"... after the V-day complementary chocolate and champagne offered by the place... all very posh!! 

Tomorrow we go to the Alamo!! 

M.

7 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Pete, you are streching the clues in between the threads!!

I am. I'm a bad person, and what makes it worse I don't care. Have fun (or should that be more fun) in the Lone Star state, sounds like a great trip.

Pete.

Looks like an American who has possibly won the Croix de Guerre with palm(top right), definitely a Purple Heart, and if my colour converter is correct, the mainly white object is in fact yellow with a green edge, which is the more than likely a French Médaille Miliitaire. To the left and going out of shot is perhaps the DSC (US of A)

Now is he fromTexas or is that a red herring and he is from another State.

I know this one but won't spoil it for others. I have him in my files ready to post, and wonder if U.G. came across him from the same source that I did.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Now is he fromTexas or is that a red herring and he is from another State.

Strictly speaking, neither. His early years have a resonance with current events.

Possibly South of the Border, Down Mexico way? Which makes him Marcelino Serna.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Possibly South of the Border, Down Mexico way? Which makes him Marcelino Serna.

Yes. He has been described as a “Texas Hero”, and settled after the War in El Paso; but he was born in Mexico, and, Wikipedia tells us, “decided to enter the United States, by crossing the Rio Grande and going to El Paso, Texas, in search of a job and a better way of life.” 

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

very brave man. His story and the photo are from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelino_Serna

Edited by Uncle George

Interestingly his extensive library entry is a bit vague on where he was when he won his award. It seems to mention Both the Argonne and St Mihiel which are some distance apart. Good one though UG. Very relevant to our modern world.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

South of the Border, Down Mexico way

27 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Rio Grande 

Dean Martin. John Wayne. Two of the all-time greats. This post just keeps on giving.

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Interestingly his extensive library entry is a bit vague on where he was when he won his award. It seems to mention Both the Argonne and St Mihiel which are some distance apart. Good one though UG. Very relevant to our modern world.

Pete.

Wiki gives us the citation: "The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Marcelino Serna, Private, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Flirey, France, September 12, 1918. Private Serna displayed exceptional coolness and courage in single handed charging and capturing 24 Germans." General Orders No. 27, W.D., 1919”

Nice one UG, staying with across the pond theme WIT, this chap has a surname familiar in folk history, as well as an impressive military career retiring after Korea, complete with a Medal of Honor and many more.

AE7B1AC5-C724-43C1-8364-72C193F1D47F.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Wiki gives us the citation: "The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Marcelino Serna, Private, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Flirey, France, September 12, 1918. Private Serna displayed exceptional coolness and courage in single handed charging and capturing 24 Germans." General Orders No. 27, W.D., 1919”

Definitely St Mihiel, it's the next village up from Seicheprey which I've visited. Fascinating, and thanks UG.

Pete.

Looks like you figured it out before I could catch up with the time difference.