Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Be gave up painting camouflage and advocated using camouflage netting too. Ahead of his time, really.  

24 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Mincemeat. Another one of my clues, Pete. Lost forever.  

I know the heartbreak of lining them up and the photo being identified immediately. Looking at the photos of the Mk 1 tanks from 1916 with the camouflage scheme they look remarkably modern.

They certainly do.  I suppose what goes around comes around.   I noticed on the box the other day they have started painting Challenger tanks in "urban camoflague"  Looked like the 1980's Berlin garrison scheme to me!  

16 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Marilyne, you strike again. I'm out first ball again! Didn't even get my clue in about him painting mother....

just had the chance to read the right thing at the right moment…

M.

This officer, an “exceptionally able and resolute commander,” had a very interesting and distinguished war. He was severely wounded in 1915, and ended the war as a major general. Crazy name, crazy guy. But who is he ? ? ?

63478BE2-24C3-4963-BBFF-E30E740E730B.jpeg

By his dress I have assumed he was old school colonial, so the strangest name I can come up with in the Indian Army was Sir Skipton Hill Climo, who seems to fill your criteria, badly wounded in Mesopotamia, he survived and carried on in that theatre of the war, including afterwards in Afghanistan. No picture I’m afraid so this is a stab in the dark.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipton_Climo

18 minutes ago, Knotty said:

By his dress I have assumed he was old school colonial, so the strangest name I can come up with in the Indian Army was Sir Skipton Hill Climo, who seems to fill your criteria, badly wounded in Mesopotamia, he survived and carried on in that theatre of the war, including afterwards in Afghanistan. No picture I’m afraid so this is a stab in the dark.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipton_Climo

Yes, that’s him. Image from here:

https://archive.org/details/operationsinwaz00indi

5BD8AE44-E7CF-4D23-AE28-E439B86825B4.jpeg

Crikey, Knotty, that was inspired.

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

Crikey, Knotty, that was inspired.

I know there are lists for almost everything on the electrical interweb but 'British WW1 Officers with strange names'? Surely not.

Pete.

Hi Pete/Gunner

Just trawled through the names of Indian Army Generals looking for any strange names, then checked on their career. If I can find a picture or two I have a few to put on here, and I still haven’t checked on the BEF.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I know there are lists for almost everything on the electrical interweb but 'British WW1 Officers with strange names'? Surely not.

Pete.

What a cracking idea.  

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi Pete/Gunner

Just trawled through the names of Indian Army Generals looking for any strange names, then checked on their career. If I can find a picture or two I have a few to put on here, and I still haven’t checked on the BEF.

I am in awe John.

Any future list of WW! soldiers with strange names,  may have to spread to the rankers.  Theres a Private in the Norfolks  in "Soldiers and their units" thread called "Christmas Milk. "  I thought initially that he was the victim of Ancestry's indexing but, no.  The poor s"d.  

Edited by Gunner Hall

I'm sure there's a thread on the forum about WW1 individuals with interesting names, there's definitely an often hilarious one about Ancestry transcription outrages started by young Baker......

Pete.

This is someone I never heard of till this evening... not British.

IMG_20200313_224103.png

20 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Any future list of WW! soldiers with strange names,  may have to spread to the rankers.  Theres a Private in the Norfolks  in "Soldiers and their units" thread called "Christmas Milk. "  I thought initially that he was the victim of Ancestry's indexing but, no.  The poor s"d.  

haha… so it's not just a modern-day illness to give your kids names that they'll regret for the rest of their lives…

One can only suppose the boy was either born or conceived on a Christmas day with too much eggnogg.

Seajane, the pic look vaguely familiar… normal namee or crazy name???

M.

French,German,Austrian,Hungarian or American ?
Got to make a start somewhere😁

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

French,German,Austrian,Hungarian or American ?
Got to make a start somewhere😁

German. Shared one name with a WW2 general and another with a 20th-c composer.

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

just like Bela Lugosi

But isn't - see what you mean, though.

59 minutes ago, seaJane said:

But isn't - see what you mean, though.

Oh no he doesn't (oh yes he does).........image to be found on various sites on the internet, notably pinterest. And on this thread previously, to nobody's surprise I would wager.

Pete.

bela-lugosi-world-war-i.jpg.3c02670dff1faee434a55ae4db68af2d.jpg

Edited by Fattyowls

that's not the same guy??? hairline's off... 

M.

Mine was a writer and poet. The piece I heard was very atypically set to music by this chap, who was Hungarian:-

IMG_20200314_181147.jpg

Could be Ernst von Dohanyi, aka Dohanyi Erno?  Interesting fellah, his son Hans, was executed after Henning von Treskows failed attempt on Hitler.  HIS son, Justus, played William Burgdorf, in 'Downfall'. A film, I keep returning to. 

That's interesting! But no, my no.2 isn't Dohnányi, but someone more associated with being merry.

12 minutes ago, seaJane said:

That's interesting! But no, my no.2 isn't Dohnányi, but someone more associated with being merry.

I know exactly where you're coming from sJ, but just can't find a German connection. Only a Frenchman called Henri .........