Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

5 hours ago, Knotty said:

post#12871, seaJane maybe able to help out👍

'Fraid not!

5 hours ago, Knotty said:

post#12871, seaJane maybe able to help out👍

Is it Henry Thomas Mayo by any chance? Looks a bit like him.

Sorry NF, it is not Mayo, although having brought up his photo, there is a passing resemblance.

I am surprised that sJ has never come across this chap in her investigations.

Another clue, the month before he received the MoH, in June 1918, he received the DSC (US) for actions he carried out under fire at Bois-de-Belleau 

Edited by Knotty

If you involve SeaJane, your man is probably NAVY... 

Looking at men who received both the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross during World War I are not many...

Looking at Navy recipients, I'd say this is Joel T. Boone, a US Navy Lieutenant from the Medical Corps.

Boone also had six silver stars. 

He served in the Pacific during WWII and briefly went to Korea. 

M. 

Well done Marilyne, as you say a navy surgeon you have identified him, Joel Thompson Boone, it is.

From a secondment in a marine artillery battalion in Haiti 1916, to the USS Wyoming in 1917,then onto the 6th Marine Regiment where he won his medals for his actions in 1918. More awards followed for his actions in WW2, as well as his subsequent promotions to Vice Admiral at his retirement in 1950, you can follow up his career with this link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Thompson_Boone

Hope the Alamo was to your liking😀

Apologies - RN I can do, USN not! (don't have the sources). 

Let's throw this one into the mix:

IMG_20200217_012126.jpg

And there I thought I would be alone in this time zone ... 

I was going to throw another one into the mix, as long as we were on Americans... there will be two to guess before I go to sleep ... 

But this one's (far too) easy: his most famous words feature on a track by one of my favorite bands... 

daly-daniel-image.jpg.c9a5d000eee7da3e480464fcb2d39df7.jpg

SeaJane, I'm pretty sure yours is a surgeon, but the name escapes me..

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

Apologies - RN I can do, USN not! (don't have the sources). 

Let's throw this one into the mix:

IMG_20200217_012126.jpg

Is that Mayo-Robson, as opposed to Mayo (US)?, I’m sure I saw this picture when looking for Mayo(US) as suggested by NF in post #12876.

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

And there I thought I would be alone in this time zone ... 

I was going to throw another one into the mix, as long as we were on Americans... there will be two to guess before I go to sleep ... 

But this one's (far too) easy: his most famous words feature on a track by one of my favorite bands... 

daly-daniel-image.jpg.c9a5d000eee7da3e480464fcb2d39df7.jpg

SeaJane, I'm pretty sure yours is a surgeon, but the name escapes me..

We’ve had this chap - post #1983

21 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I recognized him straight away too Uncle George. 

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I suspect that statistically we are approaching the point where we've had everybody that's anybody in WW1 at least once, along with all of the cute four legged friends. I know a man who would know (who sends his best by the way). It's quite remarkable as I think Ron Manager would say that Marilyne's chap made his debut nearly 11,000 posts ago.

Belleau Wood produced two famous quotes that I know of, this guy came up with one of them. According to his entry in the extensive library there is an earlier version in German from 1757 - "Kerle, wollt ihr ewig leben?". Every day is a skool day for me in WiT?

Pete.

Now I come to think of it we could have a crossover with the A-Z of ye olde rockers and name Marilyne's favourite band. I'm stumped so far and pride (and sloth) prevent me from looking back at the original post to see if it is mentioned.

Pete

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Now I come to think of it we could have a crossover with the A-Z of ye olde rockers and name Marilyne's favourite band. I'm stumped so far and pride (and sloth) prevent me from looking back at the original post to see if it is mentioned.

Pete

I will post it now on the other thread. 

Sabaton, and Devil Dogs.

Lyrics:

Kill, fight, die
That's what a soldier should do
Top of their game, earning their name
They were the Devil dogs
In a war machine
They were the USA marines
1918, USA intervene
Until now they were mainly observing
There in the wheat fields and a small piece of land
It's a battle that will write history
5 times attacked, and then 5 times repelled
At the 6th time they managed to break the line
Heart of the corps, and a part of the lore
The deadliest weapon on earth
Kill, fight, die
They were the Devil dogs
In a war machine
Dogs lead ahead, and attack through the lead
Put to test, at the battle of Belleau
Clearing the forest and advance through the trees
It's the end of the war that's in sight
Hill 142, it's a final break through
It's the key to controlling the battlefield
Second to none, a marine and a gun
And the foes run in fear of their name
Kill, fight, die
They were the Devil dogs
In a war machine
In times they are needed, such times they appear
When a leader has fallen, a hero arise
And inspire the lost into glorious deeds that
Would give them a name that live on to this day
When
In times they are needed, such times they appear
When a leader has fallen, a hero arise
And inspire the lost into glorious deeds that
Would give them a name that live on to this day
"Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?"
Second to none, a marine and a gun
Raising hell as they're fighting like dogs of war
Heart of the corps, and a part of the lore
The deadliest weapon on earth
Kill, fight, die
They were the Devil dogs
In a war machine
They were the USA
And since then
They are the devil dogs of war
And then always
Are the USA marines

Thanks NF, still none the wiser. It won't replace this morning's earworms at Owls Towers, which alternate between 'Kathy's Song' by Paul Simon which has the vaguest of connections to my last photograph on the thread, and 24 Hour Party People by the Happy Mondays, which is in honour of sJ's latest cause for celebration. Party on dudes!

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

I suspect that statistically we are approaching the point where we've had everybody that's anybody in WW1 at least once ...

It is not often that we on this thread see a WiT subject, then in his eighties, proudly wearing his original uniform. Our statistician, were he here, would confirm that this is uncommon. Out of the common rut, he would say; or, at least he would if he was in the habit of using such a vulgar phrase. Which he is not. Yet, here is one example. 

Who is he ? ? ?

7D660C57-1516-47F8-B30F-C4B2687C8CBA.jpeg

11 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is that Mayo-Robson, as opposed to Mayo (US)?, I’m sure I saw this picture when looking for Mayo(US) as suggested by NF in post #12876.

Quite right, Knotty :)

post 1983 was way before my time I'm afraid... 

And Neverforget is absolutely right about "Devil Dogs"... great number !! 

Name is Daniel Daly and he was in for a third medal after his actions at Belleau Wood but the brass refused it... 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

14 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Who is he ? ? ?

7D660C57-1516-47F8-B30F-C4B2687C8CBA.jpeg

Joseph F. Ambrose

aka "Doughboy Joe"

Sorry, 

too easy... found his name while researching the clues leading to Joel T. Boone... 

M.

Thanks for this. Another new one to me, so I looked him up

The flag which he clings to was that which was draped over the coffin of his son who was killed in the Korean War

Just see it as a way for me to brag about what my rocket launcher can do... because you're going to guess it quite easily. 

WHO is this old fighter, who saw action in WWI

D94A0865.JPG.8e23d851ac93d00b5cb4d58f8be2eea3.JPG

M.

Morning Marilyne 

Thats a nice shot of “The Mighty T”, she saw convoy duty during WW1 but did not fire her guns in anger, however WW2 saw her engaged in actions around the world mainly in the seas around the European theatre.

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-military-firearm-symbol-state-vessel-aircraft-landmark/uss-texas

Exactly!! 

It's not to be visited anymore because it's leaking. There's plans for extensive works in the planning and maybe to move her to Galveston, a few miles further south, so that she can attract more visitors. But yesterday it was only the four of us around her and I took a nice time for a good fotoshoot with her. Will find a thread in which to post some more pictures once I've sorted through all of them. 

Now cleaning our horrible B&B in Houston and moving on... maybe tonight we'll sleep withoutthe train horns... 

M.

19 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Exactly!! 

It's not to be visited anymore because it's leaking. There's plans for extensive works in the planning and maybe to move her to Galveston, a few miles further south, so that she can attract more visitors. But yesterday it was only the four of us around her and I took a nice time for a good fotoshoot with her. Will find a thread in which to post some more pictures once I've sorted through all of them. 

Now cleaning our horrible B&B in Houston and moving on... maybe tonight we'll sleep withoutthe train horns... 

M.

Morning, Marilylne,   I'll look forward to seeing the results of the photoshoot.  I'm sure that i saw some "expert" on the telly recently showing how the guns of a battleship were loaded. I thought at the time it must be Texas.  Having just read some conjucture about why the Queen Mary blew up, I was expecting flash tight lifts, interlocks etc.  It seems that on Texas,   they made do with a chain and pulley arrangement more often seem on a building site.  

As for Uncles latest,  I have no clue.....  Situation normal  

Edited by Gunner Hall