Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Hi Steve 

Saw this one in my quest to find M’s gentleman, so I will keep quite and let others have a go first.😁👍

I promise a Belgian beer to the first that finds…

If it's Pete it'll be a waffle…

M.

I'll refer you to the same clue that Knotty put up for my last WIT on Stubby's chap.

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

world famous Liverpudlian author. 😊

That's you crossed off my Christmas card list.........

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

That's you crossed off my Christmas card list.........

I'm sorry, you'll no doubt be swamped with autograph hunters now, and unable to leave your mansion undisguised. 

The price of fame I'm afraid.

Just now, neverforget said:

I'm sorry, you'll no doubt be swamped with autograph hunters now, and unable to leave your mansion undisguised. 

The price of fame I'm afraid.

The infringement of my anonnymity aninimety annonimity not being recognised misses the point, it's being described as a Liverpudlian that rankles. I'm nettled, if not vexed.

The dog reminds me of Horatio Bottomley by the way.

32 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

The infringement of my anonnymity aninimety annonimity not being recognised misses the point, it's being described as a Liverpudlian that rankles. I'm nettled, if not vexed.

Apologies. Do you not hail from the fair city? I referred not to the dark side of Stanley Park. 

The dog is a "digger".

47 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Would an amendment to "Merseysider" and a song from Mr. Simon in the rockers thread go any way towards atonement for my disastrous faux pas?

14 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Do you not hail from the fair city? I do, born in the same city centre maternity hospital as John Lennon, though not in my case during an air raid, or his, if the debunkers of the legend are to be believed.......

I referred not to the dark side of Stanley Park. The word has been appropriated by our lovable neigbours. It's an honest mistake I recognise and if I were a better and nicer person I'd be all forgiving. But I'm not, so I won't (see Victoria Wood below).

The dog is a "digger". So nothing to do with the odious and repulsive Bottomley then? That's a relief. I read a story of some VIPs touring a jail and recognising Bottomley as he was sewing mailbags; one said to him "Sewing Bottomley?" to which he replied "No, reaping".

The damage has been done. To quote the sadly badly missed Victoria Wood - I'll forget but I won't forgive.....AND I'm being baited over my Belgian waffle addiction issues all the way from Pelaines, between the greater Brussels metro area and the historic fortress city of Liege. I may have to go into therapy.

Pete.

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

The damage has been done. To quote the sadly badly missed Victoria Wood - I'll forget but I won't forgive.....AND I'm being baited over my Belgian waffle addiction issues all the way from Pelaines, between the greater Brussels metro area and the historic fortress city of Liege. I may have to go into therapy.

Pete.

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Would an amendment to "Merseysider" and a song from Mr. Simon in the rockers thread go any way towards atonement for my disastrous faux pas?

How my sin weighs heavily upon me. My offer has now been set in motion, at least partially. 

Both handler and dog were wounded in action, and the dog's services have now been officially recognized. The handler lost two brothers and a sister to the conflict, but he and his faithful canine both made it home together.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

How my sin weighs heavily upon me. My offer has now been set in motion, at least partially. 

Both handler and dog were wounded in action, and the dog's services have now been officially recognized. The handler lost two brothers and a sister to the conflict, but he and his faithful canine both made it home together.

I have to admit that I'm getting all vengeful and old testament in these trying times. Would this dog be commemorated at the Aussie inspired animals of the Great War memorial at Pozieres and has been recognised only in the past few years?

Pete.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

I have to admit that I'm getting all vengeful and old testament in these trying times. Would this dog be commemorated at the Aussie inspired animals of the Great War memorial at Pozieres and has been recognised only in the past few years?

Pete.

Yes, you are very much barking up the correct tree now, Pete.

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Yes, you are very much barking up the correct tree now, Pete.

Not sure about the tree but most definitely barking.....

Pete.

what's funny is that his name has already been mentionned… just not as name… LOL

M.

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

what's funny is that his name has already been mentionned… just not as name… LOL

M.

😉😉

32 minutes ago, neverforget said:

😉😉

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

M.

So the dog really is called Horatio Bottomley? Who'd have thought it. Or is it digger? Or Barking?  I'm going to have to make myself an industrial strength cup of Java and have another search. It would be nice to have a Belgian waffle to go with it, I'm starting to dream about them......

Pete.

That sounds like a recipe for success Pete. 

See what you can "unearth".🐕

we're doomed…

10 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

we're doomed…

Don't panic! I'm sure Pete will come along soon to get us out of this hole.

Just hope he does so before I'm back to duty at TF5 …. another 2 weeks of real loggie work with masks etc etc ahead and not much time to read, write or browse the forum I'm afraid…

M.

12 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Just hope he does so before I'm back to duty at TF5 …. another 2 weeks of real loggie work with masks etc etc ahead and not much time to read, write or browse the forum I'm afraid…

M.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what TF5 is. 

Not to worry, I think I just heard a bugle call; help might be on its way. 

Screenshot_20200507-103805_Google.jpg.a56592da948516156962451a316a208a.jpg

You two just keep the thread bubbling along and I'll join in when I feel confident......

I will euthanize this one before close of play today to spare us all further prolonged suffering. 

Stop taking all those digs at Pete, it might make him cross. After all he may be more interested in his photography what with the lovely blue skies he may have shot the arrival of swallows and martins. 

There is at least 3 very loose “cryptic” clues in the above😁😁😁

Edited by Knotty

Indeed there are 👍👍