Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

He is Ronald True.

True joined the Royal Flying Corps in 1915 but his increasingly disordered behaviour combined with addiction to morphine led to his discharge in 1916.

https://www.lifedeathprizes.com/real-life-crime/ronald-true-murdered-prostitute-gertrude-yates-aka-olive-young-68779

Picture was taken from the cover of this book.

20200521_193804.jpg.d9feb193355bb850b184d700fa704d4b.jpg

Edited by neverforget

My Auntie Nancy (actually my father's cousin) used to call me Ronald True as a child, which in my innocence I thought was a compliment.

Ron

Daft question but did someone get the answer or did Steve just post the solution.

I'm asking that because on the previous page, there is an answer to a post that I cannot see.

Edited by Knotty

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

Daft question but did someone get the answer or did Steve just post the solution.

I'm asking that because on the previous page, there is an answer to a post that I cannot see.

I handed him in, John. I couldn't see it going anywhere and couldn't think of any more clues. Perhaps he was a little too obscure. ( Unless you were Ron's aunt 😁)

Fair enough, that’s was a needle in a haystack trying to find all discharged RFC personnel  and then adding the crime of murder to a trial, must admit I was on the point of giving in.😁

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

It was I, Knotty. I posted something about the tie pin suggesting he might be a Yank, then thought "nah, ridiculous" and removed it. Meantime Steve had replied, more politely than I deserved.  

13 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It was I, Knotty. I posted something about the tie pin suggesting he might be a Yank, then thought "nah, ridiculous" and removed it. Meantime Steve had replied, more politely than I deserved.  

Not at all. It was a most valid and astute observation on your part.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

I handed him in, John. I couldn't see it going anywhere and couldn't think of any more clues. Perhaps he was a little too obscure. ( Unless you were Ron's aunt 😁)

You didn’t give enough time with this one! Anyway, further to Ron’s Aunt’s observation, my Grandmother’s pithy criticism of those she thought above themselves was, “Sitting there like Lady Docker!” I had no idea who or what she meant. But this is a clue for this chap:

BA761677-69D5-405B-8E6F-CFA9A88D1FA5.jpeg

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Not at all. It was a most valid and astute observation on your part.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

And there’s me upping my medication🤪😂

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

You didn’t give enough time with this one! 

Point taken, I started to think it wasn't the best of subjects that I had posted, and killed him off accordingly. 

Apologies if you were investigating him.

I can remember my mother and/or grandmother using 'Lady Docker' as a term of scorn. Is this therefore Sir Bernard, her third husband, and where the Docker bit came from?

Pete.

34 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I can remember my mother and/or grandmother using 'Lady Docker' as a term of scorn. Is this therefore Sir Bernard, her third husband, and where the Docker bit came from?

This chap wasn’t her husband, no.

Was he the husband of a lady called Consuelo or maybe by that time of Gladys by any chance?......

Nora Docker, started out life as Nora Turner, her early years are well documented, working as a dancer in London were she met several wealthy beaus  before she finally married the first of 3 husbands.  
As it wasn’t one of her 3 husbands is it one of her early suitors?

ps Think you know don’t you Pete?

Edited by Knotty
Added postscript

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Think you know don’t you Pete?

I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, lets say I'm hopeful. If it isn't I'll just have to try a Scooby Doo ending.......

Pete.

Yes Pete (and John); Charles Spencer-Churchill, 9th Duke of Marlborough. He was one of what Wiki coyly describes as her “male friends” during her career as a hostess at the Cafe de Paris.

SunnyMarlborough served on the General Staff in France during the First war. He was WSC’s first cousin.

WSC, towards the end of his life: “I wish certain people could have been alive to see the events of the last years of the war; not many: my father and mother, and F.E., and Arthur Balfour, and Sunny.” Roy Jenkins writes of this in his biog: “The last named ... may be thought to have added a touch of bathos to the list. But he and Churchill, first cousins, had undoubtedly been close, and his addition to the select group did not distract from Churchill's touching desire to let a few others - most of whom, certainly his father and Balfour, maybe his mother, had underestimated his quality - see how spectacularly well he had done.”

Edited by Uncle George

22 minutes ago, sassenach said:

For a moment I thought you had said that Roy Jenkins had written a blog. 

Quite a thought. 

One thinks of that well-known YouTube vlogger and Twitter tweeter, Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Further to our recent discussion of Lady Docker, who on earth is this society hostess ? ? ?

B4495B9D-66E1-43D7-9471-8415E6FB7AED.jpeg

Is that Lady Ottoline Morrell?

Edited by seaJane

And I think the painter is Augustus John. I got that without even looking it up, but when I did I found that they had a bit of a thang as we funksters would say......

Pete.

14 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Is that Lady Ottoline Morrell?

It is indeed. There’s an interesting article about her home, Garsington Manor, sometimes beguilingly referred to as the “cesspool of slime” and its wartime role, here:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/25/why-garsington-manor-britains-scandalous-retreat

Image from here:

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw08219/Lady-Ottoline-Morrell

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

the “cesspool of slime”

Sounds like the far end of the estate at Owls Towers......

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Sounds like the far end of the estate at Owls Towers......

What my friend calls the "unplaisance" :)

Photographer unknown, picture in public domain. He had a career in both wars.

IMG_20200524_022625.jpg