Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

What my friend calls the "unplaisance" :)

That's certainly one word for it. Others slightly less eliptical and graphic are available. But lets not go there (metaphorically or physically). I have an inkling about your man, but I need to raise its status from an inkling to a likelyhood. This could take time and more coffee.......

Pete.

• Admin
14 hours ago, seaJane said:

Is that Lady Ottoline Morrell?

Lady Utterly Immoral as she was also called........

seaJane #13149, is he wearing a Kriegsmarine uniform of WW2 vintage?

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

seaJane #13149, is he wearing a Kriegsmarine uniform of WW2 vintage?

Yes.

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

What my friend calls the "unplaisance" :)

Is that the same as the "unpleasance" which turns up in Sellar and Yeatman's "Garden Rubbbish"?

If UG is not correct then I will go for the other well known seafarer Captain Hans Langsdorff of the Admiral Graf Spee. In the action known as the Battle of the River Plate, being out gunned and out numbered, he took his own life, a few days after ordering the cruiser to be scuttled in the waters off Montevideo in order she did not fall into British hands.

Edited by Knotty

@rolt968 probably!

@Knotty correct: Wiki it saith, Langsdorff entered the Kiel Naval Academy against his parents' wishes in 1912, and as Lieutenant Langsdorff received the Iron Cross 2nd Class for his actions at Jutland, He worked on minesweepers for the rest of the war, receiving the Iron Cross 1st Class at some point (the exact date is unknown).

7 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Langsdorff

To quote legendary Formula 1 commentator Murray Walker (described I think by the late great Clive James as the man who talks in block capitals) - "UNLESS I AM VERY MUCH MISTAKEN! YES! I AM, VERY MUCH MISTAKEN". I thought it was Raeder, but what do I know?

Pete.

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

To quote legendary Formula 1 commentator Murray Walker (described I think by the late great Clive James as the man who talks in block capitals) - "UNLESS I AM VERY MUCH MISTAKEN! YES! I AM, VERY MUCH MISTAKEN". I thought it was Raeder, but what do I know?

Pete.

Ah, Murray Walker. The man who spoke as though his trousers were on fire. 

11 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Of who is this said to be a Portrait ? ? ?

551ED34E-DBBD-4089-8805-F6A6F8934516.jpeg

I have no idea why, as I've never seen it before, but the first name that came to my mind was Baron Manfred Von Richtofen …. ! 

1 hour ago, The Scorer said:

I have no idea why, as I've never seen it before, but the first name that came to my mind was Baron Manfred Von Richtofen …. ! 

Not him, no: but it is of a German officer.

30 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Not him, no: but it is of a German officer.

Thanks … exit stage left, intrigued!

8 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Yes. The artist, Marsden Hartley, was an American whose sympathies lay squarely with the Central Powers. In 1914 he found himself in Berlin, and he created this ‘Portrait of a German Officer’ - his friend and possible lover Karl von Freyberg, who was killed in 1914.

GWF1.jpg.6031d4af6a38423dcc3ea12902c2a0a3.jpg

This is part of a family group photo taken about 1911. This boy (who served in WW1) is sitting between his parents. There are three elder brothers in the photo. One was killed in WW1 another having won the MC in WW1 became very famous later in life. The famous brother looked so unlike anyone else in his family that there were occasional questions about his parentage.

RM

Edited by rolt968

there you have it… gone for two weeks and this turns into abstract painting / society gossip / detective work… I need to catch up!!

Looks like your boy was a bit clumsy… does he have a broken arm on the picture??

M.

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

there you have it… gone for two weeks and this turns into abstract painting / society gossip / detective work… I need to catch up!!

Looks like your boy was a bit clumsy… does he have a broken arm on the picture??

M.

I had assumed that he had broken his arm but don't know.

The famous elder brother would be about fourteen at the time of this photo. There was never any real reason for doubting his parentage. The family accounted for his difference in features by saying that he was the only sibling who took after his mother's family. I think I can see some similar features in the boy to those of the famous elder brother - at least as he appears in the family photo.

There are no postwar photos of the boy. He was killed in action.

RM

One of the Llewelyn-Davies brothers?

59 minutes ago, seaJane said:

One of the Llewelyn-Davies brothers?

No, but he has something in common with one of them.

At the time of his death, had he been serving in the other service (still only two) he would have been underage.

Killed in action 104 years ago today

Is it (William) Nicholas Eden? Younger brother of Anthony.

Nicholas was killed in the battle of Jutland.

Edited by neverforget