Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

To recap & expand- no.1, German writer, set to music by no.2, Hungarian composer of merry lady.

8 hours ago, charlie962 said:

1.  Erwin Louis Weill

2. Franz Lehar

Number 2 clearly is Lehar; my reference was to Henri Meilhac, upon whos play the Merry Widow was based. I just couldn't make the German connection. 

Well done, Charlie, presuming you are correct with Weill. 👍

Charlie is correct. Lehár set Weill's Fieber to music in response to his brother Anton Lehar's sufferings as a wounded soldier.

https://www.lieder.net/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=54975

Weill died in a concentration camp in 1942.

Pic 1 from Wikipedia.de, pic 2 in the public domain.

“Can’t you GRASP the situation? We’ve only got FIF TEEN CENTS!” Anyway, who is the Flight Sergeant in this image ? ? ?

A731D86C-1467-4F99-AE08-00609A59BEB6.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George
correction

Looks like James Finlayson. perhaps in 'Dawn Patrol' D'ohhhhh!

Edited by Gunner Hall

35 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Looks like James Finlayson. perhaps in 'Dawn Patrol' D'ohhhhh!

Yes, it IS the great James Finlayson; even in ‘Dawn Patrol’, doing that thing he did.

He was born in Scotland in 1887, but it seems that he didn’t serve in the war. In 1919 he appeared in the morale-booster ‘Yankee Doodle in Berlin’: “Behind enemy lines, Captain Bob White disguises himself as a woman in order to fool members of the German High Command, including the Kaiser himself.” It works for me.

Images from here: https://twitter.com/larbertloon

Quote in #12979 from the marvellous Laurel and Hardy ‘Men o’ War’.

60788FE3-CAC3-492A-9ECB-81D89A12DC58.jpeg

Well done G.H. I'm afraid I never got out of my starting blocks with that one.

he plays someone who disguises himself as a woman!  This I have to see.  Thanks NF, a childhood spent watching Hal Roach films has finally paid off. I wonder if I can get away with posting up 'Laughing Gravy' on here....

Edited by Gunner Hall

21 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

he plays someone who disguises himself as a woman!  This I have to see ...

Sorry mate, but you’ll be disappointed. The cross-dressing Captain Bob White is played by Bothwell Browne, apparently. Fin has the less prestigious, but equally well-crafted, role, “Commander’s Officer (uncredited)”.

Anyway, here’s an unexpected pairing. But who are they ? ? ?

81319B6D-A695-4A86-B6FD-C0DAE0A590F9.jpeg

I think that's Lillian (Perhaps,Dorothy) Gish. The bloke, Mack Sennett?

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

I think that's Lillian (Perhaps,Dorothy) Gish. The bloke, Mack Sennett?

Lilian Gish it is. According to this obituary https://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/01/movies/lillian-gish-99-a-movie-star-since-movies-began-is-dead.html, “During World War I, the Gish sisters went with [D.W.] Griffith to Europe to make propaganda films ... “

Not Mack Sennett though.

Lillian Gish in the 1918 “Hearts of the World”, cast includes village man pushing wheelbarrow listed as Noel Coward.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Lillian Gish in the 1918 “Hearts of the World”, cast includes village man pushing wheelbarrow listed as Noel Coward.

Brilliant. My first thought was that it looked a bit like the young Robert Graves, there was something familiar about him. All of which will leave me with oeof sur la visage if it isn't the right wheelbarrow pusher......

Pete.

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Yes - the Master. Wiki tells us that, “In 1918, Coward was conscripted into the Artists Rifles, but was assessed as unfit for active service because of a tubercular tendency, and he was discharged on health grounds after nine months.”

’Hearts of the World’ has an interesting and unexpected cast list, as attached from Wikipedia.

Image from here: https://chainedandperfumed.com/2013/01/31/hearts-of-the-world/

8E84AE4D-B9A5-4FE3-B2DD-2A269496460A.jpeg

Knotty, that was brilliant. I can't believe I looked at 'hearts of the world' and missed that the cast had Noel Coward, Sir Edward and Lloyd George featuring. Not sure I was ever likely to recognise the jobbing gardener as the master though. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Right then. One of these chaps is well-known, one rather obscure, one another of WiT’s ‘Casablanca’ cast list. Who can they be ? ? ?

4775E556-8CAA-4629-A166-01E86293C338.jpeg

I'm having a punt on the civvie being John Ford, As for the bloke in the brodie, James Hall, ( no known connection)  I think the German, is George Meeker.  Ford directed both of them in the 1928 film  ''Four sons' A Bavarian widow loses all but one of her sons to the meat grinder of the western front , apart from one who had emigrated to the US of A. Then 1917 rocks up to throw all to the hazard.  John Wayne makes  an uncredited appearance too. Only Harry Carey, Hank Worden and *shall we gather at the river' are missing. 

Edited by Gunner Hall
damn this autocorrect

35 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'm having a punt on the civvie being John Ford, As for the bloke in the brodie, James Hall, ( no known connection)  I think the German, is George Meeker.  Ford directed both of them in the 1928 film  ''Four sons' A Bavarian widow loses all but one of her sons to the meat grinder of the western front , apart from one who had emigrated to the US of A. Then 1917 rocks up to throw all to the hazard.  John Wayne makes  an uncredited appearance too. Only Harry Carey, Hank Worden and *shall we gather at the river' are missing. 

Yes! Well done indeed. Image from Pinterest. Further to this thread’s preoccupation with ‘Casablanca’, Fandango.com tells us that George Meeker played ‘the white-suited gent in Casablanca (1942) who turns to Bogart after the arrest of Peter Lorre and sneers "When they come to get me, Rick, I hope you'll be more of a help.” ‘

Another unexpected cast list, from Wikipedia:

88703F63-2926-477D-B8EB-719572041707.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Another film on my must see list. Earle Foxe  as Major von Stomm, makes Maj. Strasser look like a philanthropist.  It was even shot around Berlin.  Monument valley must have been closed for renovations.

Edited by Gunner Hall

Ooooh-Kay.... going movies right now… sorry I was out the last days, there was a lot going on here the lasst days with the confinement etc... been working from home the mast three days.

WITH Boyfriend hovering … he STILL has not put up my Flanders Field plexi in the office…

M.

Plexi has been put on the wall…

I've been working a lot too… and found this… hope it's not too easy…

She was a "FIRST"

659741559_Annotation2020-03-23075952.png.fed8f4ffb5a8bf36aef78b4a9901b2d9.png

M.

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is she the first to win a medal for valour?

I did wonder if that was the case. I checked to see how many women have been awarded the V.C. Just one, and that was pre WW1. Unbelievable.