Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capture of Major Yate

shippingsteel

Thanks Trajan - nice work. I guess you have had a chuckle at myself and Phil trying to muddle through the German in your absence :D

I will amend the Word Doc. today to add the 22nd translation and revisit the Laibacher. It seems the 22nd newspaper description ties in with the statements given later by the factory manager and landowner; it was his clothes and demeanour that seemed to attract their attention and probably the fact that he was hatless too. He seemed to have lost the hat during the night. I will re-post the Word Doc later and another list I have found (of newspapers) :)

Seaforths,

One more for the newspaper files... Which I think may be of interest for the files although the last part you will already know from Phil's discovery of the 28th November 1914 edition of the Sheffield Evening Herald (the locked thread, at post 379).

This is from The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Friday 29 January 1915, page 5. You can read it on line at: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1492982 (with a poor PDF at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/printArticlePdf/1492982/3?print=n), and it reads:

"Mystery of Major Yate.

Among the recipients of the Victoria Cross on November 27 was Major Charles Allix Lavington Yate, of the Second Battalion the King's Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry); whilst it was further stated that “he commanded one of the two companies that remained to the end in the trenches at Le Cateau on August 26, and, when all other officers were killed or wounded, and ammunition exhausted, led his nineteen survivors against the enemy in a charge in which he was severely wounded. He was picked up by the enemy and subsequently died as a prisoner of war."

At the interesting Belgian Exhibition now being held at the Royal Institute of Painters, Piccadilly W., a representative of the ‘Westminster Gazette’ was making an inspection of the official German proclamations which have been issued in Belgium during the past three months, when he accidentally alighted upon a broadside printed in French, Flemish, and German, which throws a new and curious light on what the enemy contend happened to Major Yate after he was taken prisoner. The proclamations now on view, which were collected by Miss Bertha Bennett Burleigh in Brussels and Antwerp, were placarded in large quantities in prominent places and upon public buildings in those cities Whilst the reporter was looking through these documents he came across a proclamation which, in English, reads as follows -

“NEWS PUBLISHED BY THE GERMAN GOVERNMENT - Berlin September 22

During the night of the 19th to the 20th September Major Charles Alice (sic) Yate of the Yorkshire Light Infantry, escaped from Torgau where he was a prisoner of war. This is the English officer of whom it was stated the other day that he did not deny upon enquiry the fact that the English troops have been supplied with dum-dum bullets. During this inquiry he stated that soldiers must of necessity use the ammunition supplied by the Government. The fugitive is about 5ft. 6in in height, is slim, fair and speaks German well.”

To say the least, says the 'WestminsterGazette’, the circumstances surrounding the fate of Major Yate are mysterious and not less so in view of the fact that recently there have appeared in the press photographs of him as a prisoner, apparently not wounded.

Major Yate is the son of Colonel Yate, member for the Melton Division of Leicestershire, who acted as one of the pallbearers at the funeral of Lord Roberts”

Now, this is what Phil gave us from the Sheffield Evening Herald for 28 November, 1914:

Phil Evans, on 21 May 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:snapback.png

Here is the full transcription of the piece in the 28th November 1914 edition of the Sheffield Evening Herald. Apologies if it only contains regurgitation of information previously posted, but someone may be able to read something between the lines amongst what is written and how it comes across:

"The Mystery of a Yorkshire Officer

ESCAPE FROM PRISON

Among the eight gallant soldiers who were granted the coveted Victoria Cross by the King was Major Charles A. Lavington Yate, of the 2nd Battalion, the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He commanded one of the two companies that remained to the end in the trenches at Le Cateau on August 26th, and when all other officers were killed or wounded and ammunition exhausted, led his nineteen survivors against the enemy in a charge in which he was severely wounded.

He was picked up by the enemy and he subsequently died a prisoner of war.

At the interesting Belgian Exhibition now being held at the Royal Institute of Painters, a representative of the “Westminster Gazette” was making an inspection of the official German proclamations which have been issued in Belgium during the last three months when he accidently alighted upon a “broodsheet” printed in French, Flemish and German which throws a new and curious light upon what the enemy contends happened to Major Yate after he was taken prisoner.

The proclamations were placarded in large quantities in prominent places and upon public buildings. Whilst the representative was looking through these documents he came across a proclamation which in English reads as under:-

Berlin, September 22nd_ During the night of the 19th to the 20th September , Major Charles Alice (sic) Yate of the Yorkshire Light Infantry escaped from Torgau, where he was a prisoner of war. This is the English officer of whom it was stated the other day that he did not deny upon enquiry the fact that the English troops have been supplied with dum-dum bullets. During this inquiry he stated that soldiers must of necessity use the ammunition supplied by the Government.

The fugitive is about 5ft 6in. In height, is slim, fair and speaks German very well.

To say the least, the circumstances surrounding the fate of Major Yate are mysterious and no less in view of the fact that recently there have appeared in the Press photographs of him as a German prisoner, apparently not wounded.

Major Yate is the son of Colonel Yate, M.P. for the Melton Division of Leicestershire, who last week acted as one of the pall bearers at the funeral of Lord Roberts."

If nothing else the Argus piece does show how long it took for the news to travel down under! But it also serves to remind us all of the problem of the infamous photograph and caption... The VC is mentioned in the caption, showing it post-dates 27 November, but it also says 'Happily, it was stated later that he had not died of his wounds as was at first reported', indicating that the author of this caption believed he was still alive. BUT, the Sheffield report dated 28 November says that 'he subsequently died a prisoner of war'...

Trajan

Ok, bear in mind that I am newly back and in the company of experienced archivists, namely Seaforths and Phil. There is never such a thing as a stupid question, but just in case, has anyone tried exploring the http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ ? You probably have, but I tried a free entry with YATE and YORKSHIRE and AUG 26 1914-AUG 26 1915, and got four permitted hits, one being the Sheffield Telegraph one we know above, the others being:

Yorkshire Telegraph and Evening Star for Tuesday evening Sept 29. 1914, with Mrs. Yate’s responses to ‘the reported death of her husband (Major Yate, King s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry)...

Newcastle Journal, Friday 27 November (I assume the VC award?)

Yorkshire Evening Post, Saturday 29 May 1915 (not certain what!)

It's a small cost in GBP for a month's subscription, but in terms of my salary that small cost is over 20 loaves of bread... (sounds of violins, and cries of 'Where are the fishes?"... :thumbsup: )

Now a quick and simple question from this ignoramus... If the papers have the news of the VC award on 27 November, when was the award gazetted - I know, it will be in Yate Capture I somewhere, but a straight plea gets a quicker answer!

EDIT: found it - "The London Gazette," No. 28985, dated 25th Nov., 1914: Commanded one of the two Companies that remained to the end in the trenches at Le Cateau on 26th August, and, when all other officers were killed or wounded and ammunition exhausted, led his nineteen survivors against the enemy in a charge in which he was severely wounded. He was picked up by the enemy and has subsequently died as a prisoner of war." So, my bugbear (and mine alone) is working out WHY that inaccurate caption

One final one for the day for the newspaper lists...

The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC) Sunday, November 29, 1914 , p 1.

"Fate is unknown

London Nov.28.6:37 p.m.

Doubt has arisen as to the fate of Maj. Charles Allix Lavington Yate, of the Yorkshire light infantry recently decorated with the Victoria cross, who was said to have died while a prisoner of war.

Major Yate, a son of a member of the House of Commons, commanded one of two companies which remained to the end in the trenches at Le Cateau. When all the other officers had been killed or wounded and the ammunition exhausted the Major led a charge of the nineteen survivors. Recently a photograph was published showing him as unwounded an a prisoner of war. A circular issued by the German government issued 22 September said he had escaped from a detention camp."

It is on a Yank subscription site - I signed for free for a week so must cancel it after, but this seems to be the only YATE and YORKSHIRE link on it.

Trajan

TTFN

Ok, bear in mind that I am newly back and in the company of experienced archivists, namely Seaforths and Phil. There is never such a thing as a stupid question, but just in case, has anyone tried exploring the http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ ? You probably have, but I tried a free entry with YATE and YORKSHIRE and AUG 26 1914-AUG 26 1915, and got four permitted hits, one being the Sheffield Telegraph one we know above, the others being:

Yorkshire Telegraph and Evening Star for Tuesday evening Sept 29. 1914, with Mrs. Yate’s responses to ‘the reported death of her husband (Major Yate, King s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry)...

It's a small cost in GBP for a month's subscription, but in terms of my salary that small cost is over 20 loaves of bread... (sounds of violins, and cries of 'Where are the fishes?"... :thumbsup: )

Now a quick and simple question from this ignoramus... If the papers have the news of the VC award on 27 November, when was the award gazetted - I know, it will be in Yate Capture I somewhere, but a straight plea gets a quicker answer!

EDIT: found it - "The London Gazette," No. 28985, dated 25th Nov., 1914: Commanded one of the two Companies that remained to the end in the trenches at Le Cateau on 26th August, and, when all other officers were killed or wounded and ammunition exhausted, led his nineteen survivors against the enemy in a charge in which he was severely wounded. He was picked up by the enemy and has subsequently died as a prisoner of war." So, my bugbear (and mine alone) is working out WHY that inaccurate caption

I might be able to shed some light on that one but I was waiting until S78 returned to the fray after his studies are done...I don't mind going down the VC route again. I can always post on it and no doubt he will, like yourself, be playing catch up. Let me know if you want me to post and I will dig the stuff out tomorrow or Monday - the latter probably being more realistic.

That's regarding a Lt Yates of the 2nd DoW Regiment.

Craig

Is that Newcastle one on Tyne or Under Lyme? I would have thought the latter because his father was the Vicar of Madeley. The former I would have thought the morning Journal or Evening Chronicle...

Craig

Thanks for clarifying that one Craig - much appreciated.

I had a feeling from the previous thread, that someone had checked the BNA and drawn a blank but the two other entries you made Trajan suggest there might be a couple worth investigating. Unfortunately, unless they increase their holdings on the Elgin papers, I am unlikely to subscribe.

Unfortunately, unless they increase their holdings on the Elgin papers, I am unlikely to subscribe.

I caught the £1.00 deal before it ended so I have access for a month - probably not subscribe again until they add more north east papers.

Craig

Is that Newcastle one on Tyne or Under Lyme? I would have thought the latter because his father was the Vicar of Madeley. The former I would have thought the morning Journal or Evening Chronicle..

Why-aye pet, tiz the Newkie one!

Craig

Thanks Craig (also for PM) - I think you'll get pulled in as all help needed on these ones!

Cheers Craig - you get the location of the infamous photo and caption and we'll have a whip-round for a case of Gateshead Newkie-brown and a stottie - and if you find where the original photograph was published, well, I reckon we'll be on to something more interesting for you! I'll be in the UK on-and-off September-January, so the potential reward is awaiting!

Best,

Julian

I'd have to decline the Newkie-brown as it's horrible stuff - I'm originally from the up the road in Consett so have a slightly more refined palate (only just though) :whistle:

Craig

I might be able to shed some light on that one but I was waiting until S78 returned to the fray after his studies are done...I don't mind going down the VC route again. I can always post on it and no doubt he will, like yourself, be playing catch up. Let me know if you want me to post and I will dig the stuff out tomorrow or Monday - the latter probably being more realistic.

My own feeling, if you'll permit me, is don't get sidetracked from the excellent work you and Phil are doing on the other stuff. I'm happy to follow the photograph link as it really bugs me - and if Craig is game on that one also, then we'll both put in the bits and pieces as they develop!

I'd have to decline the Newkie-brown as it's horrible stuff - I'm originally from the up the road in Consett so have a slightly more refined palate (only just though) :whistle:

Craig

Well, so long as its not Vaux, happy to make an alternative offer... Stottie still stands as I am stottie-deprived...

J.

PS: OFFtopic, I know - but in the reconstructed French citadel at Louisbourg, NS., they serve (or used to) Newkie B as the closest thing (they claimed) to French beer during the period it was occupied - early 18th century. I gather I was the first (and possibly only) visitor to correctly identify what it really was... So, my student years at Durham and Newkie DID teach me something after all :thumbsup:

Well I hate beer! The only ones I can cope with are funnily enough; Toon Juice (Broon Ale), Screamin' Reds & Guinness. Just logged in to gather information and to update the newspaper document and see there's more - great stuff and thank you too Craig!

Also, a belated thanks to Indefatigable and Trajan on confirming earlier the definitions for abteilung. Now, back to updating that doc...

Trajan,

If you knew how many hours I have put into looking for that photo...........

I did have a good go at the British newspapers when FMP had the month free offer, but could just of easily missed something.

Phil

Well I hate beer! The only ones I can cope with are funnily enough; Toon Juice (Broon Ale), Screamin' Reds & Guinness.

Never had either 'cept for the Guinness 'a naturel' (or whatever they say over there!) - if I get your way during my sabbatical then enlighten me!

I can believe the many hours on that searching... Same here... My hobby when my best free chances of searching come are in the local beer garden when I and the boys are banished for house-cleaning purposes and so we can all play at our own things... BUT, one day that photograph - original and the caption one - will be found!

Much more to the point, you and Seaforths are doing such a good job with those Bayerische and other records. I'll try to get around to the Ottos' at some point, and am frankly impressed at the quality of the imaging!

TTFN

Julian

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Craig

My own feeling, if you'll permit me, is don't get sidetracked from the excellent work you and Phil are doing on the other stuff. I'm happy to follow the photograph link as it really bugs me - and if Craig is game on that one also, then we'll both put in the bits and pieces as they develop!

Trajan,

I did have a good go at the British newspapers when FMP had the month free offer, but could just of easily missed something.

Phil

Here was one that puzzled me, until I remembered that Major Yate died twice, at least on paper anyway 'scuse the pun.

The article Craig posted that mentions the Blackwood's article. I found that The Times published an article on 17 September 1914 'The Pen and the Sword - A Soldier's Message from the Grave' and this includes an extract from the Blackwood's article. It took me a minute or two to twig it must have been published when they thought he had been KIA at Le Cateau.

Then this bit which may or may not be linked to the photograph being published in this country - Trajan your mention of the VC caption with the photo sent me scurrying to have a looksee: True Stories of the Great War No.5 'The Most Critical Day of All' by Cpl. FW Holmes, VC. Published in the London Magazine for 1915...Can anyone remember ages ago, on the locked thread - I think it was Grumpy and/or Martin said he thought it came not from a newspaper here but a better quality magazine...

I also found out that Major Yate was MiD 8 Oct 1914 - so after both of his deaths (if you see what I mean). Unfortunately, I do not live in one of the areas where the library has a subscription to the Times. I will check Ancestry to see if the London Magazine is one of the magazines they have...it is what Holmes wrote about Yate that might have been responsible for some of the VC remarks.

Edit: Toon Juice = Newkie B (as Trajan calls it). Screamin' Reds = McEwans Export - comes in red tins with that screaming/laughing cavalier bloke on it.

Unfortunately, I do not live in one of the areas where the library has a subscription to the Times.

I have access - which article are you after ?

Craig.

I have access - which article are you after ?

Craig.

I was going to have a look to see if there was anything on his MiD that might tie in to the VC commendation. I will try the LG to locate it initially but thought as he was getting mentioned here - there - everywhere, his MiD might have also been mentioned in The Times. I've just checked Ancestry for the London Magazine but nothing doing. I can't seem to trace an archive for the London Magazine that covers the war years...

Entries from the Times (up to end of 1914)

03 Sep 1914
Officers killed casualty list

17 Sep 14
Pen & Sword article

18 Sep 14
Major CAL Yate, Yorkshire Light Infantry, whose death in action was announced by the war office in our issue of September 3 is, we are informed on behalf of his family, a prisoner of war. Major Yate's article on 'Moral qualities in War' in the current issue of Blackwood's Magazine was referred to in The Times of yesterday.

20 Sep 14
Officer previously reported killed now unofficially reported a prisoner of war.

21 Sep 14

29 Sep 14
Mrs Yate is deeply touched by the overwhelming number of letters and telegrams she has received from her friends on the reported death of her husband (Major Yate, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) and takes the opportunity of informing them that happily Major Yate is alive but wounded and a prisoner.

26 Nov 14
VC recommendation (listed as deceased).

Craig

Trajan that first one - Yorkshire Telegraph and Evening Star is quite a find and I wonder what it has to say. Remember, Mrs Yate is in Switzerland at that time. The date of that article is 29 Sep 1914 so...is she commenting on his first death or second death? The article is dated after his real or second death but given the time lapse in news if they have managed to get a comment from her in Switzerland...

I'll have a look but the Times OCR isn't great - it failed to find Yate is article that I know he is mentioned in.

LG entry of 16 Oct 14 - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28942/supplement/8355

Craig

Oh thanks Craig you beat me to it on account of the following:

In the haste of my previous, I forgot to say that the information is coming from a book, 'The VC and DSO Book: The Victoria Cross 1856-1920.'

Under Major Yate is the following extract from the London Magazine - 'True Stories of the Great War - The Most Critical Day of All' by Corpl. FW Holmes VC KOYLI' Published April 1915 and I am wondering if it was published with that photograph.

'For the day's work at Le Cateau two Victoria Crosses were given to my regiment - one to Major C.A.L. Yate ("Cal" he was called, because of his initials), and one to myself. Major Yate was a very fine officer. He joined us and took command of B Company just before we went out to war. On this day he was in the trenches, on our left rear, not very far from where I was. When we went into action he had two hundred and twenty men, but they caught so much of the hot fire which was meant for the battery behind that he had lost all his men except nineteen when he was surrounded and captured. The day before this happened the major declared that if it came to a pinch and they were surrounded he would not surrender - and he kept his word. Reckless of the odds against him he headed his nineteen men in a charge against the Germans - and when the charge was over only three of the company could be formed up. All the rest of B Company were either killed, wounded or taken prisoners, though very few prisoners were taken. The Major was one of them ; but he was so badly wounded that he lived only a very short time, and died as a prisoner of war. His is one of the cases in which the Cross is given although the winner of it is dead. Major Yate was a thorough gentleman, and a great favourite with us all. He had had a lot of experience in the Far East and at home, and I am sure that if he had lived he would have become a general. He was always in front, and his constant cry was "Follow me!"'

Then moving onto what the book as to say about Cpl Holmes, VC:

'...The "Times History" says that Major Yate and L.Corpl. FW Holmes were fine examples of the old Regular Regiments. Holmes greatly admired Major Yate - who was a great favourite with his men - and said of him that he was always in front, and his constant cry was "Follow me!" ...His Victoria Cross was gazetted 25 Nov. 1914...At Le Cateau, on 26th Aug., "carried a wounded man out of the trenches under heavy fire, and later assisted to drive a gun out of action by taking the place of a driver who had been wounded." He was commissioned as Second Lieutenant 14 March, 1917,...'

Now there is another possibility of a photograph in The Times History... This is some of the stuff I was going to post when S78 returned to the fold. I am struggling to reconcile these two pieces of text. Holmes is obviously pre-occupied bringing in wounded and taking the place of a driver etc. how could he have been a witness to what happened to Major Yate at the end? He was probably driving a gun away...There seems to have been a lot of trench folk lore surrounding what happened to Major Yate. And here, let it be said, I shall eat my humble pie publicly and have already cut myself a generous slice. I do believe in the locked thread that I said I thought that Bond had it in for Yate and stayed mute on the subject of his VC. In his own account later, it seems that this was not the case. He refers to 'Charles, my friend' and states that his VC was still deserved on account of the way he conducted himself that day. I was wrong...munch, munch...

Edit: amended type and added publication number and date for London Magazine.

Entries from the Times (up to end of 1914)

03 Sep 1914

Officers killed casualty list

17 Sep 14

Pen & Sword article

18 Sep 14

Major CAL Yate, Yorkshire Light Infantry, whose death in action was announced by the war office in our issue of September 3 is, we are informed on behalf of his family, a prisoner of war. Major Yate's article on 'Moral qualities in War' in the current issue of Blackwood's Magazine was referred to in The Times of yesterday.

20 Sep 14

21 Sep 14

29 Sep 14

Mrs Yate is deeply touched by the overwhelming number of letters and telegrams she has received from her friends on the reported death of her husband (Major Yate, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) and takes the opportunity of informing them that happily Major Yate is alive but wounded and a prisoner.

26 Nov 14

VC recommendation (listed as deceased).

Craig

Thanks Craig - our posts seemed to have crossed and you have just answered my musings on the questions of Mrs Yate. I seem to be suffering from a bad time delay and my last post froze on me when I tried to put it up then I was bombed out of the forum not knowing whether it had hit or not...

She seems to be one of the sources regarding him being wounded. I wonder if she got that information from his letter to her dated 2nd September or whether it she took that piece of information from the trench folk-lore that seemed already to be circulating surrounding his capture. The article then refers to her refuting his first death.