Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

James BOURKE 6307 Irish Guards

Did you find him?   I found this possibility:

Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Jun 1917   (>99%)
Bourke  James  37  Bradford  9b 224

???

M

Thank you Matlock, that could very well be him, thank you.

Next one please lads and lassies. I cannot find this lads records, can you help please? FMP is no help.

image.png.bdc918a9f611b4525da0f3338846e75a.png

Another option is 1072 C. Buckley. The number is top right on the pension card. Looks like 4th Battalion?

There is a SA medal record for him...

George

Thank you kindly George, he was 50 when he died so they might be him.

That was my thinking. Looking for his parents 

Thank you George, on the ball!

Am I the only one mad enough to be up at this time of a morning? I am stuck on this lad and he should be easy but no such luck, can you help please? Where is he? Only in Fold3 obviously.

image.png.1e490021e138ab0a787cfab44efae7f3.png

Next one out of the hat is Daniel Cashman. What I need is the critical sheet, the one that says he was discharged with TB or Phthisis, can you help please? It is missing from his FMP records.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007266173%2F02106&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7266173%2F159%2F2106

image.png.b6e7af4d4f5121a0b94610b7df7a96c7.png

Sorry Tom, no such evidence in his service file. Only 71 days of service which doesn't look promising. One of the pension cards says he died while serving, though that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thank you kindly Paul, well observed. Much appreciated. These are the difficult ones Paul, I keep the easy ones secret, sssshhhh...

Edited by museumtom

Also says that he only served at home

George

Thank you George, it all helps.

Kind regards.

Tom.

3 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

One of the pension cards says he died while serving, though that doesn't seem to be the case.

Daniel CASHMAN, 4044, King's Liverpool Regt.

From WFA/Fold3: His initial claim pension index card shows discharge 27-5-15 and his claim was Rejected however once he has died 9-2-16 his mother was awarded 15/- pw under Article 21 1a from 11-11-19

The MoP seem to have been later satisfied that his service, even if only had been HS, had as a minimum aggravated an existing/latent condition - but this alone will not satisfy CWGC.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you Matlock, correct and right, it has to be the critical sheet to go forward I am afraid.

• 1 month later...

And a good morning to you all guys and gals. Let us begin this day with a real poser. Are these records all the one person please??

Images from Folder3 WFA.

Aitken, James (30611).jpgimage.png https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007286217%2F00838&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7286217%2F34%2F838

James Atkin (sic) 30611-Royal Irish regiment or Royal Scots?

image.jpeg.dffad63759b03153c1025f93624937ab.jpeg

or

image.jpeg.833e2b20c1dcebe170d154e331a3d207.jpeg

Images from Fold3

George

5 hours ago, George Rayner said:

image.jpeg.dffad63759b03153c1025f93624937ab.jpeg

or

image.jpeg.833e2b20c1dcebe170d154e331a3d207.jpeg

AITKEN / ATKIN, 30611

The MoP seem to have eventually considered the same claim - ultimately under 1/D/13395 when back in Scotland [via Ireland 13/D/1760 and D.P.147 before that for AITKEN]

Here's a potentially useful pension ledger page for ATKIN seemingly showing the latest [though undated] link to 1/D/13395 [on left of page]

image.png.403aae779af7abb78870c370f640113a.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

As for the true surname and regiment they don't make clear - but at least the same date of death under both the AITKEN and ATKIN surnames!

This is the CWGC for AITKEN https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/73953/j-aitken - Royal Scots [and as SDGW and MIC it seems]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Pension records are not my area of knowledge, but in principle it’s entirely possible (likely even) that he served with both, the Royal Irish Regiment and then the Royal Scots, probably with a wounding and recovery in between.  If someone can search hospital registers such a scenario might be revealed.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Well done lads, thank you kindly, he is a tricky one to be sure.

AITKEN / ATKIN, 30611

Two surnames to search - doesn't make it any easier.

Potentially worth looking for any hospital records, however though possible, double swapping RS/RIR/RS, having started Overseas Service does seem to me to be a lower possibility given the other official records we have already encountered [of which only one refers to the Royal Irish Regiment]

• His MIC shows his first landing in a ToW as Royal Scots [seemingly after 31/12/1915 - or has anyone found a MIC for a Star as well?] - Presumably off a RS medal roll prepared by his last unit - anyone looked at the actual MR for AITKEN, 30611?
  • CWGC would typically commemorate a man KiA under his last number and unit [exceptions sometimes being the 1917 renumbering of the TF - not appropriate here I think] and they have commemorated as Royal Scots.  Name typically as served and if known any military alias or true family name acknowledged [Neither of which is shown]
  • SDGW records as Royal Scots [though they seem to follow CWGC]
  • Pensions would typically be awarded under his last unit and his number therein [though others could be listed on some PIC - but not here], so again it seem quite possible Royal Scots. [Though the Royal Irish Regiment claim is undoubtedly a puzzle if the same man with a variant surname]

What does Register of Soldiers' Effects record?

Anyone checked for a possible Will? [Ireland and Scotland seemingly over E&W]

Worth checking if 30611 would match any RIR allocations?? If so, when might it date from?

The PLP shows his father as quite aged [74+ ... DoB/age necessary for MoP as he might be infirm and/or in special pecuniary need] so his memory might have been somewhat 'cloudy' over his son's unit/final unit and over time [memory and units being somethings some of us might also associate/struggle with these days!]

An 'Army' surname might vary with a civilian one - Sorting out his surname will certainly be another of the necessities - AITKEN and ATKIN seem easy close homophones - possibnly an alias???

= I'm wondering if it is possible, with or without alternative surnames, he had earlier Home Service or possibly even non-ToW Overseas Service with the Royal Irish Regiment before transferring to the Royal Scots for his ToW Overseas Service and ultimately his death ???

--- Got me thinking further --- CWGC give AITKEN's age at death in 1916 as 26, so old enough that he might have been a pre-war soldier - possibly in India with 1RIR?? Might there also be OS Hospital records to further consider? Perhaps???  Later re-enlisting with the Royal Scots???

Certainly a puzzle at the moment [for me anyway].

M