Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

21 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.f780baaaca76d0580c7220354329f48c.png

There is an earlier PIC for Henry O'CONNELL, 8371, R, Dublin Fus,

He was discharged 5.7.16 and awarded a disabiity pension of 15/- pw from 6-7-16 to end of the quarter of man's death - but we can't see what for. 

The further bad news is that on it the awards file is recorded as deliberately destroyed on/by 21.5.24

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add omission of man's death

O'Connell's disability was osteo-arthritis, not tb. He was formerly 4992 Royal Munster Fusiliers and served during the Boer War.

There is a death registered at West Bromwich, Oct-Dec 1916, which fits the age given in his service papers.

A second pension card, which I assume is the one Matlock refers to above, gives the date of death as 03/01/1917.

Edited by PaulC78

13 hours ago, George Rayner said:

We looked for this man three months ago-I have now found a family tree on ancestry for him-but no death date.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/164176037/person/432157295133/facts

I had another look for Fitzgerald and found this via Ancestry:

https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/discover/find-your-family/search-results/details?employeeId=13416

Birth date matches the family tree you linked to, death date was apparently 22/11/1919 but still no sign of a DC.

On 26/10/2023 at 21:33, museumtom said:

Good man Paul, y'know I think we might be able to help each other here. I have a guy and could not find his military service and you have a lad and cannot find his date of death. He is my pitch. He could be this lad or not.

image.png.46c7586b596cdd219f1e7855b6e8d5e0.png

Could be coincidence Tom, but I found this attestation form on FMP for the other Fitzgerald:

Capture6.JPG.1ca1c3ee8ad88f3fbebba506f7ccf7ef.JPG

Edited by PaulC78

What a team, I was not expecting much progress with this lad, too obscure but your finds help greatly thank you guys!   Thing is, when did he die?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just to add to above

image.png.4146b5c9f718294065dc8f2bc2821ac6.png

from Fold3

George

Sorry this seems to have appeared incorrectly...

George

Hello again guys and gals. Myself and George have been puzzled with this lad, of these lads? Are they one and the same please all?

image.png.ed7a6355f0d6135efa9e30ca97613e33.png

image.png.0cb086a49216d3291ebabe9fee50fa97.png

George found this-

This is the baptism of James Robinson's step daughter Mary Ann.

image.png

Leading us to Robinson's wife being Norah Flynn, nee Dunne.
Soldier's effects has Norah crossed out and Honoria written in.
She is also the sole legatee.

There is a James Robinson who died in Dublin 1917(?) aged 71 who could be his father.

The only Irish Guard with the name Robinson using 73** just gives 7378 including CWGC
7336 brings a chap called Hanlon.

And it's interesting that the Pension Card for 7336 lists the regiment as Royal Irish Guards-who don't exist. I wondered if that was Royal Irish ? but couldn't find anything.

Which means I don't know if they are the same man. I think so...but the Forum hive mind could have an opinion!!

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

And it's interesting that the Pension Card for 7336 lists the regiment as Royal Irish Guards-who don't exist. I wondered if that was Royal Irish ? but couldn't find anything.

The DEE pension code is for the Irish Guards.

Craig

Unless there's been an error with mixing up the man it can be seen that someone had written the wrong suffix (211) to the DEE code (to match the widows code on the second card - WEE 211) and then corrected the suffix to the correct one (1453). There would be a different suffix for the same man between the DEE and WEE prefixes so you could suggest that it was a clerk who has transferred the wrong reference for the man from his other card, and then just corrected it.

image.png

Craig

Good man Craig, thank you kindly, good to have you back. Only you would have noticed the DEE code.

So Craig has shown they are the same man

Not sure if this helps or hinders

A James Robinson in Irish Guards injured in accident in Aug 1916 in Dungannon

robinson.jpg.2d769f97baaaaedc2d7347f976493aa5.jpg

Oooh that sounds sore, thank you David.

Actually Tom, I see there are more Irish Guards called James Robinson, than you would care to research. If you trawl for "James Robinson" and "Irish Guards" there are a lot in Ancestry

Death registered at South Dublin as William Smith, age 45. Not seeing any other military records, though.

EDIT: There is a pre-war record on FMP for William Smyth, 945 10th Royal Reserves, enlisted 14/05/1900, discharged 13/05/1901 (termination of engagement); also ex Royal Dublin Fusiliers (time expired). He was a baker from Dublin which fits with the DC.

EDIT 2: Found another pre-war record for William Smyth 2751 Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Enlisted 12/11/1887, discharged medically unfit 11/07/1893. Could be the same man as the other record, but not sure.

Edited by PaulC78

On the ball, thank you kindly Paul. Address is 9 Braithwaite Street, Dublin. This is progressing nicely.

image.png.1b415349aadda0d3bb15b99033361dff.png

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.ed7a6355f0d6135efa9e30ca97613e33.png

James ROBINSON, 7336, Irish Guards

From the corresponding pension ledger page [originally indexed at WFA/Fold3 as BOLINSON] we can see his father, James ROBINSON senior, was born 1853

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Working on all the clues given we have a possibility, Patrick Street, is not far from Thomas Street, Dublin.image.png.0e8ca20eaf44547ff97a89914be4afb2.png

All in all I do not see any mention of WW1 service.

Juts to mess up your Sunday, can you find him please?

image.png.fedc89b801b155cb3edab973c9b70448.png

23 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Juts to mess up your Sunday, can you find him please?

image.png.fedc89b801b155cb3edab973c9b70448.png

John MALLOY, R/357052, Army Service Corps

Has a dependant's pension ledger page [as related to above] and he has his own earlier disability pension index card too = Not yet admitted

Both as RASC = so just possibly a post Nov-1918 serviceman/after the Royal prefix was awarded [that said after that date ASC and RASC were commonly both used rather loosely for quite a while]

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
yet

Thank you Matlock, it all helps.

Edited by museumtom