Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

12 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

I came across a reference to a trawler from Lowestoft called Lord Kitchener.

Tea beckons-if you haven’t turned it up I’ll return to the fray

Possibly might help if you could please.

Certainly generally speaking ... steam drifters and trawlers [though intended for different fishing methods and thus of differing builds] were commonly used for mine-sweeping and losses from mines were sadly all too frequent.

M

Intriguing indeed, thank you again guys!

I think the boat was LT 261 a drifter based in Lowestoft. If correct she was scrapped 1927…I wondered why I couldn’t see any other Lord Kitchener hands listed on the same date.

George

Good morning all. This mornings offering is this lad. I am not sure if this is his death certificate or confirm his date of death. Anything you can add will be very much appreciated. He was shot in the leg, head in 1915 and only had burn scars when he joined the Navy?

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007283711%2F00695&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7283711%2F59%2F695

image.png.43f3b08d7b11d9f314d779e46b87797f.png

Mulvey    ,     Patrick    .     (Dublin).     Rank- image.png.5627c995b8f7e22fe4d4f8aaf315b092.png    Stoker 2nd Class    .     Regiment/Service:      Royal Navy    .     Unit:      H.M.S. Centurian    .     Ser No:      K30323    .     Date of death:     23/02/1918    .     Age:          .     Born:      St James, Dublin    .     Enlisted:      30/12/1915 at Devonport. Occupation on enlistement-Works Foreman, Army Ordnance. Patrick had previous service with the Leinster Regiment enlisting 14/09/1898 aged 16 under service number 5638. He was shot in the face , right arm and leg on 07/08/1915. Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for Conspicuous gallantry, ability and coolness. After every officer had been put out of action in a German attack, he assumed command, and with great determination directed effective fire on the enemy and kept his men well in hand. Discharged time expired on 13/09/1915. Also had pre war servcie with the 3rd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. On his joining the Navy the only wounds he had were -Scars on abdomen from old burns?    .     Residence:      104 Coombe Street, Dublin. Address at death- 43 Upper Wellington Street, Dublin, formerly 106 Francis Street, Dublin.    .     Death:          .     Next of kin, etc:      Son of John Mulvey, 7 Cross Basin Lane, Dublin, a deceased Labourer.  Husband of Mrs Mary (Nee Lacey, married at St Nicholas Church, South Dublin on 02/10/1910) Mulvey. Son Patrick was born 06/06/1916, and John born 18/07/1911.Notes-     Patrick left the Navy to transfer to the Leinster Regiment at Birr, King's County on 07/09/1916. I did not find any record to show he did join the army after the Navy.     

Mulvey.pdf

Good man Paul, thank you very much a lovely find. The question is...is it him? Having said all that the date in Findagrave is burial date not death date.

Edited by museumtom

13 hours ago, George Rayner said:

I think the boat was LT 261 a drifter based in Lowestoft. If correct she was scrapped 1927…I wondered why I couldn’t see any other Lord Kitchener hands listed on the same date.

MORRISSEY

As I said, "Lord Kitchener" is a nightmare to search - not least because of his Lordship's position & influence and because of the sinking of HMS Hampshire - but also because there was a trawler of that name sunk in 1917 http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/L-Ships/lordkitchener1899.htmlhttps://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?186275

= ???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
name

Another difficult one arose. I cannot find any of his records, can you help please?

image.png.9be070793c4deb432e90f3ba29b56272.pngimage.png.29ac6f029562544deac63e8da1208d21.png

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Another difficult one arose. I cannot find any of his records, can you help please?

image.png.9be070793c4deb432e90f3ba29b56272.pngimage.png.29ac6f029562544deac63e8da1208d21.png

From a quick glance the 61128 number seems to be from around July 1915.

Craig

Looks like he is in Glasnevin Cemetery

Name James Stafford
Birth Date 1882
Death Date 6 Jun 1920
Cemetery Glasnevin Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place Glasnevin, County Dublin, Ireland
Has Bio? N
URL https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/259352041/james-stafford

George

Good morning George, well found, thank you for that.

19 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.29ac6f029562544deac63e8da1208d21.png

James STAFFORD, 61128, RAMC

A pension index card for an unspecified condition disability claim at WFA/Fold3 shows his discharge 27-8-15

He was awarded £15 [i.e. a Gratuity] = which means the military did not accept liability for his condition [which they will have seen as pre-existing prior to service] - his file was later destroyed.

M

Thank you Kindly Matlock, it all helps. Does the card give his rank please?

2 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Kindly Matlock, it all helps. Does the card give his rank please?

James STAFFORD, 61128, RAMC

No the PIC doesn't have his rank, but it has Deceased 6-6-20

There is a further disability pension ledger page which gives his rank as Pte.

In case you ask: His address is recorded as Unknown and there are no details of a disability or award - the few annotations are dated 1920 and there is a final note of Deceased 6-6-20

M

Thank you Matlock, the DOD clinches it, and now I have his rank, it all helps greatly, thank you kindly old chum.

If I may, I have one from north of the border. John Joseph Gibson 281936 Royal Engineers, died on 28/01/1920 from blackwater fever which I gather is a form of malaria. I can find several pension cards as well as medal card/roll, but no apparent discharge date and no trace of his death.

gibson.JPG.035fc4247ccb1f87357d13bcfef2d6e4.JPG

Edited by PaulC78

Sorry Paul old buddy, nothing crops up.

Hello Guys and Gals. Can you help us with this one please? He has us foxed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

image.pngimage.png

Good man Paul, well done and thank you kindly, a great find. Now he was not an easy one but it was no bother to you.

Kind regards.

Tom.