Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

His address at time of death in March 1917 was Clareen, a small village in the parish of Seir Kieran (8km east of Birr) Co. Offaly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clareen

It has the stump of a round tower and the base socket of a high cross. Would there be any rates revaluation books that gives the names of tenants c.1917?

Griffiths Valuation map snippet c.1860:

image.png.cd8391fa9b85adf5cb9594f7564993f2.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

In ye oldene dayse when I were a superstar I used to play music in Clareen, also known as Kinnitty. We had to haggle for our fee every freaking time which was understandable because we were not great. Anyhoo. There are no Fitzpatricks there in ye Census, sorry Ivor.

But doesn't his DC say that is where he is from Tom?

George

#10652 has an attestation form in Ancestry

image.jpeg.70f37dd8ac45db9d9486137541b33668.jpeg

More coming

George

10652 1st Conn Rangers was admitted to 2 Gen Hosp in France for Bronchitis  in early Jan 1916 and evacuated by Hospital Ship. Age given is 21.

image.jpeg.60e8c1d3ea659d5273b1d6f9515d2c24.jpeg

Ancestry

On his ancestry record click on right arrow first there are medical records showing 10652's TB. But George beat me to it. No link to Birr as I can see

Edited by Mark1959

image.jpeg.adacb19a0a3477cb016c25a06943d47d.jpeg

Lots of close information...but I don't think he's our man

George

Because....medical board report is after his death. (Unless it is for the dependent's pension!)

image.jpeg.7ce5f1e1392ca9cfa385fbd7b33e07bf.jpeg

Hello George and Mark, that is the section òf the DC for his home address George.

It is all so temptingly close, so close. I had a look at the papers with no success.

Kind regards.

Tom.

8 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Because....medical board report is after his death. (Unless it is for the dependent's pension!)

image.jpeg.7ce5f1e1392ca9cfa385fbd7b33e07bf.jpeg

But he died in 1917 George?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

So it may be him then!

I think you should put it all together and send to Terry! He may have access to materials we don't...

This would match the info in the DC. 1 year 3 months with TB.

image.png.2d19bc006e44a64b9e4aaae35068b48b.png

Crikey...well done Ivor and Matlock for setting that fox running. Perhaps we've got him to ground?

It looks really really good but Terry will not buy it...needs more I reckon. It is all circumstantial lots of pieces fit others not.

Not in the CWGC but is on the Kilkenny War Memorial.

image.png.bd140024671606dfecab7d07e150b994.png

I have emailed them for more info.

Is that an online County memorial, or a physical memorial in Kilkenny town? A long way from Clareen, near Birr!

It is a physical memorial in Kilkenny, He is listed in Kilkenny Families in the Great War. I think they must have added all the names in that book to the memorial.

Whether they died or not. I await more info.

Birth in Rathdowney District, southern end of Laois/ Queen's Co. on 13th Jan 1894. Would be 19 at enlistment on 3 March 1913 and 23 at death on 23 March 1917.

One of a small number of Johns the right age on the censuses.  Problem: The sibling names do not match the census records:

1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Grantstown/Coolbally/1643717/

1911: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Queen_s_Co_/Grantstown/Coolbally/785163/

image.png.9635665b6b29f53a235c09561b30899b.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Y'know Ivor if that is the right lad his siblings should have the same mothers single name on their BC's also. I'll get diggin in the morning.

Here he is on the Irish Memorials site.

Download the PDF on the bottom right here.

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials-Detail?memoId=1143

or

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/pdf/1122.2.pdf

image.png.f6c8d7e45cadb3639414fe514ece296e.png

No. I cannot see a combination of siblings in the order James, Mary, John & Kate/Catherine, with a John aged c.7 anywhere on the 1901/1911 censuses. Strange?

Birth entries are not looking good either!

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king, thank you for trying Ivor. I still reckon we have our man though, Trying to join up a few dots is the hard bit.

Nighty night! Who knows what will crop up tomorrow.