Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Next one please lads and lassies

Healy    William    Private    Irish Guards    Culleens, Ballina, County Mayo    22/07/1917    Died at Peamount Sanitorium, from pulmonary tuberculosis 12 months cardiac syncope 4 hours certified.    Unknown
Serial No: 10159
Unit: 3rd (Reserve) Battalion
Born: Mayo
Enlisted: Caterham, Surrey
Next of Kin: Son of Pater and Mary Healy. Brother of Bridget, Lizzie, John, Ellan, Peter, Mary, Annie, Kate and Sarah Healy. Listed in the 1901 Census at Culleens, Ballina, County Mayo.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes: Died 2 months after discharge. Discharged at London, on 14 May 1917, No longer fit for war service. Occupation on enlistment-Royal Irish Consrabulary Constable. Address on enlistment-R.I.C. Barracks, Mountbellew, Galway.

48 minutes ago, museumtom said:

unlikely to become an efficient soldier has the least chance of being accepted.

This 'unlikely to become an efficient soldier' could sometimes be stretched to being unlikely due to fitness [medical?] shortcomings - certainly I've seen that [but cannot now recall exactly where :-( - but linked to my pensions enquiries = discharged as 'unlikely' and then awarded a pension. IIRC it was an older man who ended up with a pension for Debility]

M

Thanks Matlock, in my experience it was soldiers who did not make it through the basic soldiering course.

19 minutes ago, museumtom said:

in my experience it was soldiers who did not make it through the basic soldiering course.

Agreed,  'Unlikely to become an efficient soldier' was a common reason for discharge in such cases but causation might have been at the militry's door, but hard to prove.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Healy    William    Private    Irish Guards    Culleens, Ballina, County Mayo    22/07/1917    Died at Peamount Sanitorium, from pulmonary tuberculosis 12 months cardiac syncope 4 hours certified.    Unknown
Serial No: 10159
Unit: 3rd (Reserve) Battalion
Born: Mayo
Enlisted: Caterham, Surrey
Next of Kin: Son of Pater and Mary Healy. Brother of Bridget, Lizzie, John, Ellan, Peter, Mary, Annie, Kate and Sarah Healy. Listed in the 1901 Census at Culleens, Ballina, County Mayo.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes: Died 2 months after discharge. Discharged at London, on 14 May 1917, No longer fit for war service. Occupation on enlistment-Royal Irish Consrabulary Constable. Address on enlistment-R.I.C. Barracks, Mountbellew, Galway.

William HEALY, 10159, 3rd Batt. Irish Guards

A WFA/Fold3 pension card shows he was awarded a 27/6 pw pension from 15.5.17 to 13.11.17 [that was a 100% disabled rate which was very consistent with a discharge with TB, as they didn't want sufferers going out to work & mixing with the wider population = but not proof/provable from that card though]

Unfortunately his pension awards file destroyed  20/3/25

M

Edited by Matlock1418
was awarded

Thank you Matlock, nice find.  So close but yet so far away. Onward and upward we go......

Next is Christopher Hemp, listed in the 1911 Census as an army pensioner but he may have joined up for the war later. I just wonder if he had war service please?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Kingstown_No__3/Patrick_Street__West_Side/94379/

image.png.ef8faad641013c989f91444411a7f338.png

Another possible.

Higgins    Edward            Rathfarnham, County Dublin    23/07/1917    Died at Peamount Sanitorium, from Pulmonary Tuberculosis 17 months Cardiac Syncope certified    Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A married man.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes: One the untraceable soldiers who died at Peamount Sanitorium. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service. I also include this soldier with the Dublin men as that is where he died.

3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Healy did have 21 years service, 4 Good conduct badges, Long Service, Queen's SA medal with four clasps...

but didn't get a war gratuity as he had less than 6 months service! According to Soldier's effects

George

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

This shows Christopher Hemp to be 45-they were less than accurate on the Death register if they have him as 43 as he may have been 51-or he lied!

George

31 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

but didn't get a war gratuity as he had less than 6 months service! According to Soldier's effects

George

Nice find George, so he did have WW1 service then?

It's from Ancestry-mis-labelled as J Healy, Leicestershire Regiment. (That is a common mistype-Leinster often listed as Leicester)

image.jpeg.ed8570874568f02b0b69e70b556658ca.jpeg

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/719323:60506?tid=&pid=&queryId=709112669e339762f80ae24305fd7135&_phsrc=hZE2167&_phstart=successSource

George

27 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Nice find George, so he did have WW1 service then?

Yes. Under 6 months and never overseas (otherwise, the 6-month minimum didn't apply).

Craig

Excellent finds George and Craig we now have so much more information than we had before. Thank you kindly for your diligence and finds!

Edited by museumtom

Can you help with this one please guys and gals. I want to put him forward again but I need more info and I cannot find his records on FMP. He looks so good.

Thank you for all your help.

Kenneally    Michael    Gunner    Royal Garrison Artillery    2 Main Street, Midleton, County Cork    01/10/1917    Died at the workhouse Midleton, from carcinoma of tongue certified.    Unknown
Serial No: 3201
Unit: No 2 Depot
Born: St Finbarrs, Cork
Enlisted: Fishguard, South Wales
Next of Kin: Son of Michael and Ellen Kenneally, brother of James, Lizzey, Minna Kenneally, Boston, Massachusetts, and John Kenneally, 35 Evergreen Road, Cork.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes: Died after discharge. Discharged on 07/06/1917, physically unfit for war service-new growth malignant, larnyx. Also served with the Royal Munster Fusiliers in the Boer and in India and Mauritius. Occupation on enlistment-sailor. Put forward to the 'In From The Cold Project' on 26/04/2019 and accepted. Update-rejected on 26/02/2021 Reason given-insufficient evidence it is the same man.

I think I put this lad forward in the pre folder3 days.

Michael KENNEALLY, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery, 3201

Unfortunately WFA/Fold3 don't appear to have any other info on two pension cards - though the cards and claim reference numbers were raised apparently No claim forthcoming

M

Thank you Matlock, I was hoping it had the date of death on it. Thank you for trying just the same.

Kind regards.

Tom.

On his SWB entry he joined up 10-11-11 so may have another number

George

image.jpeg.5ac735d005daa9fe53993051b87d03f3.jpeg

Fold3

Therefore in November 1911-date on form-he was a sailor but had previous service with RA (RGA) of 12 years but had been an Army Reserve absentee so refused admission to army 16th April 1910.

Initial service would be around late 1890s?

George

Thank you George, all good stuff. I'll send what I have and give him one final chance. Terry is busy for the weekend so it will be Monday before I hear back.

Thank you all for your help, it is in the lap of ye Gods now.

Tom.

Good morning all!

Some good news to start the week, Kenneally was accepted this morning. Thank you to all concerned for enabling this unfortunate to qualify!

Kindest regards.

Tom.

What a great piece of news Tom

George

There was no real doubt that the death and the soldier related to one and the same person. Great result. 

Great news and great result is right. I think Mr T forgot the first time I put him forward. It has worked like that in the past.