Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

3 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

8953 Royal Irish Regiment got a SWB? Unable to check it at present?

Discharged July 1918

George

Thank you Ivor and Matlock. No SWB for 8953 Harrington.

5 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

8953 Royal Irish Regiment got a SWB?

WFA/Fold3 pension card - disability GSW Rt Thigh - pension started 18-7-18

M

Good man George, that shows he was alive in 1918, so not our man, sadly. Thank you Matlock, these are not the easy ones, they are the hardest of them all. All last salooners.

Kind regards.

Tom.

23 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

7083 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers - entered France 26 Nov 1914 - Died 9 May 1915

Patrick HARRINGTON - WFA/Fold3 pension card have as died 9.5.15, Missing

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add name

Two more Co. Cork births matching 43 on 16 April 1917 - lot of Harringtons in Castletown district (irishgenealogy.ie):

image.png.e3b99d9f5d27ae85650a0ae182c6dfe4.png

image.png.866dd57f49f9c6bd1aa3390e6270cc46.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Here you go Matlock.

Second Anniversary-In sad and ever-loving memory of our dear son, Patrick Harrington, R.M.F., late of 20, Millard Street, Cork, and employee of C.H.C., who was killed in action in France on the 9th May, 1915. On his soul, Sweet Jesus, have mercy. Our Lady of Sorrows intercede for him. Far away in a distant land, Suddenly struck by death’s strong hand, a husband true and hero brave, lies silent in a soldier’s grave. Could I have raised his dying head, or heard his last farewell, the blow would not have been so hard to those he loved so well.-Inserted by his sorrowing parents, brothers and sisters).

Both look good Ivor, he could be either one of them. Thank you.

To give you an idea what we are doing go to the archive

https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive/

and type in the search box unknown and there are all the ones we cannot nail down. 

9 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Here you go Matlock.

Second Anniversary-In sad and ever-loving memory of our dear son, Patrick Harrington, R.M.F., late of 20, Millard Street, Cork, and employee of C.H.C., who was killed in action in France on the 9th May, 1915. On his soul, Sweet Jesus, have mercy. Our Lady of Sorrows intercede for him. Far away in a distant land, Suddenly struck by death’s strong hand, a husband true and hero brave, lies silent in a soldier’s grave. Could I have raised his dying head, or heard his last farewell, the blow would not have been so hard to those he loved so well.-Inserted by his sorrowing parents, brothers and sisters).

CWGC been playing up for me this afternon, now responding again = As expected Patrick HARRINGTON, 7083 - on CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/857495/patrick-harrington - they have the same parental address as pension card 76, MacCurtains Buildings, Cork.

M

Thank you Matlock, but your Patrick Harrington died in 1915. Our lad died in 1917.

5 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Matlock, but your Patrick Harrington died in 1915. Our lad died in 1917.

I understand that.  He was earlier offered by another.  I was posting in order to rule him out.  Job done for 7083.

M

Hi Tom

Can you show the entry in the death register for me please?

George

Sorry George. here you go. CDL=Cork District Lunatic Asylum.

image.png.6deef35d6b5b178b1540df45df69a709.png

Edited by museumtom

13 hours ago, museumtom said:

To give you an idea what we are doing go to the archive

https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive/

and type in the search box unknown and there are all the ones we cannot nail down. 

Unfortunately the site does not display properly on my screen? The table of soldiers is badly distorted by the RHS info column being stretched vertically.

EDIT: Sorted. My screen was stretched too wide! :D

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Patrick Harrington had TB for 'some years' and had been in Netley Hospital near Southampton. At 43 in early 1917 he is unlikely to have joined up in 1915 aged 41/42.

Could he be a discharged regular soldier? Perhaps he did not get to serve overseas in WW1 and has no medal records?

There are many Patrick Harringtons living in Cork on the censuses. At his age he may well have already been in the army by 1901/1911?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Good morning Ivor, thank you for that. I have no info on the man, he may not even have had WW1 service.

Although the point has always been he deserves to be remembered if he served in WW1...but I can't find anything for him at all. Not even a mention in the newspapers

George

Thank you for trying George, this is all these lads last chance.

This man has be befuddled. Why was he entitled to an S.W.B on termination of engagement?

image.png.80f3540b8e8c2b0ff5b6ffb7804ac4d6.png

Interesting point Tom.

In the same list is a man who is 'unlikely to become....' which is an even stranger one

George

Oooh unlikely to become an efficient soldier has the least chance of being accepted. I do not remember have any accepted.

Healy did have 21 years service, 4 Good conduct badges, Long Service, Queen's SA medal with four clasps...

Yes indeed George, I was hoping folder3 might clarify things. He died in 1917.

image.png.804f8dbda24e4d9c0bc2a09b020ab109.png

I emailed this info earlier George old son.