Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

I am convinced that that man and the man in the death certificate are one and the same. Thinking out loud seemed to work for this one. So, throwing caution to the wind I sent him off to Terry. And now.....we wait. Thank you everyone for all your help.

Well done Tom.

Talking to myself is often beneficial!

George

Good man George, sssshhh, I do it myself.

15 hours ago, museumtom said:

This would match the info in the DC. 1 year 3 months with TB.

image.png.2d19bc006e44a64b9e4aaae35068b48b.png

I had a look at the 1st Bn. war diary (2nd Bn. amalgamated with 1st Bn. on 5 Dec 1914 after heavy losses).

No names in WD, but it looks like he stayed in Marseilles from 11 Dec 1915

10 Dec 1915    they arrived in Marseilles by train at 10.30pm

11 Dec 1915   Sailed for Toulon on HMT Huntsend 1.30pm

12 Dec 1915 Arrived Toulon

16 Dec 1915 Arrived Malta

18 Dec 1915 - at sea

20 Dec 1915 arrived Alexandria (Egypt)

22 Dec 1915 Port Said

24 Dec 1915 Suez

29 Dec 1915 Aden

Thank you kindly Ivor.......update.....Fitzpatrick has just been accepted, how cool is that!

That's great Tom. Any new connections Terry found that swayed it?

I'm still puzzled how someone from around Kilkenny joined the Connaught Rangers and gave an address at Clareen near Birr at death?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Ooooh I do not want to tempt fate and ask him just in case he thinks it is too sparse after all.

14 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Ooooh I do not want to tempt fate and ask him just in case he thinks it is too sparse after all.

Some great research gone on recently.  Hoping you have achieved/will achieve your hoped for goal.

But, not wanting to upset the applecart or dampen your enthusiasm/celebrations either, it will get a much more severe test when it goes onwards. :unsure:

I'm sure you will keep us updated.

M

Thank you Matlock, at least he has a chance now. You may be right the M.O.D. may reject him but he had his shot at remembrance. If anything changes I will let all know.

The goal to to have a final look at the death certificates from 1914 to 1921 and give those who did not qualify one last chance and I can move on.

Thanks again guys!

Next out of the trap is this lad. Can you help please?

Hall    Joseph Alfred    Private    Royal Army Medical Corps        09/05/1917    Died after discharge at his home Ballymacoda, Castlemartyr, County Cork from Pulmonary Tuberculosis certified. His brother John Hall, Ballymacoda, County Cork was present at death.    Unknown, see newspaper item below.
Serial No: 54637

Born: Born at Ballymeade, Killeigh, Youghal, County Cork on 30/12/1889.

Next of Kin: A single man. Brother of John Hall, Ballymacoda, County Cork. Son of Henry and Hannah (nee McCarthy) Josephine Hall, listed in the 1911 Census at 11 Ballymacoda, Kilmacdonough, County Cork, with his siblings, Timothy, John, Charlotte and Anastasia Hall.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes: Enlisted 06/04/1915. Discharged with sickness on 24/03/1917. Awarded Silver War Badge number 147782 on 20/03/1917.
Newspapers Books etc: Irish Examiner, May 11, 1917. Hall, on May 9th, Joseph A Hall, youngest son of henbry Hall; deeply regretted. R.I.P. Funeral from R.C. Church, Ballymacoda, on this day (Friday) for Cloyne.

36 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Hall    Joseph Alfred    Private    Royal Army Medical Corps        09/05/1917    Died after discharge at his home Ballymacoda, Castlemartyr, County Cork from Pulmonary Tuberculosis certified.

WFA/Fold3 have pension cards confirming the above details.

Here's the best one:

image.png.df9d90ac98b1483852f5d2f03bfc52ce.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

Dependants shown:

Mother: Hannah HALL [possibly Hannah Josephine] - appears deceased 1928

A 10/- pw from 16.5.17 dependant's pension paid

Sister: Charlotte HALL, Castle Martyr, Co. Cork - appears a later claimant

Claim became DEAD before/in 1934.

Discharge MIC shows service 6.4.15 to 23.3.17 - discharged due to Sickness, KR 392 xvi - SWB listed

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Thank you kindly Matlock, does any of the cards have attrib, caused by, contracted during service or even mention Phthisis or TB please? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Kilmacdonough/Ballymacoda/446011/

Edited by museumtom

12 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you kindly Matlock, does any of the cards have attrib, caused by, contracted during service or even mention Phthisis or TB please?

Have, just as you posted,  added to my recent post so you can see for yourself the most complete card - no mention of Contracted on AS or similar but TB is mentioned and a pension was paid. [Not that that always swings CWGC! - but it should]

M

Edit: This may perhaps assist you:

image.png.43f99bb6b531c492525a0ad27c1d6364.png

Image courtesy of GWF 

@ss002d6252 reports this is from p16 of the MoP Annual Report 1918 [so would relate to the 1917 RW, from 1-4-1917]  Either way the MoP would appear to apply/attribute to the Nation's liability and pay out.  Not that CWGC will neccessarily always accept the MoP's judgement!!

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Thank you Matlock, tantalizingly close, but we need a doc that says he was discharge with or had TB, sorry.

This related additional card may perhaps refer to a disabilty pension claim by Joseph HALL himself [I might suspect it really didn't get going much since he died so soon after discharge]

image.png.14755eae94adf3f15938f7abb2059810.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

@ss002d6252 may be able to confirm/clarify using what I believe are the Chelsea Hospital and MoP case references

I think the MoP 13/M/13793 refers to a disability claim and 13/D/12491 certainly refers to a dependant's claim

I think the File Destroyed 1928 relates to the disability claim file and occured at the time of the death of his mother [since by then it's use was long passed]

Now I wait on Craig's judgement!

M

Thank you Matlock, the TB on his folder3 card only refers to what is said in his D.C.

8 minutes ago, museumtom said:

we need a doc that says he was discharge with or had TB, sorry.

I agree.  CWGC use an incredibly high burden of proof.

CWGC/NAM don't seem to like to wholly rely on MoP only.  Because apparently "The MoP made mistakes"! [as if the Army and I/CWGC didn't/don't!!]

M

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Matlock, the TB on his folder3 card only refers to what is said in his D.C.

I agree - but the MoP appear to have paid out!  So they accepted the Nation's liability from his service on the grounds of that illness/cause of death

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Thank you Matlock, now if they only didn't destroy his records we might be grand!

Another last chance salooner, can you help please?

Harrington    Patrick        One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. Death registered at Cork. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service.        16/04/1917    Died at Cork District Lunatic Asylum from Pulmonary Tuberculosis some years certified. Transferred to the asylum from Netley Military Hospital.    Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A single man

Another mystery man.

image.png.c678d45c56ee817658f1c7cfe37f33d3.png

His records say he was discharged dead so IU sent him to Terry. Records under Sidney George Harris, K27370, Royal Navy.

27 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Harrington    Patrick        One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. Death registered at Cork. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service.        16/04/1917    Died at Cork District Lunatic Asylum from Pulmonary Tuberculosis some years certified. Transferred to the asylum from Netley Military Hospital.  

Might be 3rd Royal Irish regiment, 29/2617, and also Royal Munster Fusiliers, 6506.

Pension card to follow.

Cancel my last - discharged 15-7-18 and admitted to asylum in 1922

M

Edited by Matlock1418
strike

39 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Harrington    Patrick        One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. Death registered at Cork. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service.        16/04/1917    Died at Cork District Lunatic Asylum from Pulmonary Tuberculosis some years certified. Transferred to the asylum from Netley Military Hospital.    Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:

8953 Royal Irish Regiment got a SWB? Unable to check it at present?

N/A - 7083 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers - entered France 26 Nov 1914 - Died 9 May 1915

One Cork birth, potentially the correct age:

image.png.144dfc79ad544c47a8bb81d73896e16d.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson