Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Try this report Tom

said there was something along with the children. She thew ran wt and into her own house. In reply to

said there was something along with the children. She thew ran wt and into her own house. In reply to

Ouroner, the witness said that immediately Mrs. Flood left her own house he heard the children screaming inside. He did not go in. Head Constable O'Dea—How long was tetra Flood absent!.-About five I minutes Flood tell you to say that ! —She didn't. You didn't 
26 January 1918 - Kilkenny Moderator - Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Republic of Ireland

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0002957%2f19180126%2f062&stringtohighlight=flood burns

George

Excellent guys, thank you kindly. Thank you George, a very informative article. So now we know his mother was Mrs Mary Flood, Kells Road, Kilkenny. No mention of the father.

Thanks again all.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

There are three Floods from Kilkenny that died who may be possibles, Myles, 17402, Patrick, 23746, and Thomas,  2089

From WFA/Fold3 pension cards

Myles FLOOD, 17402, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, KiA, 9.9.16, widow, Mary b.12.94 , Ballitiglea, Borris, Carlow - Children: Bridgid, b 19.9.14 and Catherine b 6.11.15 - pension of 18/6 pw from 2.4.17 [later increased to 22/11 pw from 4.4.17]

My Irish geography is hopeless so no idea if anywhere near where poor young Kate's death was registered in 1918.

???

M

Edit: @museumtomThis look pretty significant and potentially helpful: The widow's pension card is annotated S.O. informed widow's pension to be continued.  Pension in respect of child Catherine to be recovered [not dated - though the latter part does perhaps rather suggest that she was potentially dead and possibly that her mother had continued to claim for her for a while too long!]

Addit: Pension claim became DEAD 1930 - a date at which the eldest daughter, Brigid, should hopefully have reached 16 - again rather suggests that Catherine was not then still eligible for a child's pension allowance, i.e. potentially dead.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit and addit

From WFA/Fold3 pension cards

Thomas FLOOD, 2089, Royal Irish Regiment, KiA, BEF 5-4-7 - dependant mother, Mary, then father, John, got a 10/- pw pension from 5-2-18.  Walkin St, Kilkenny = rather suggests he was a single man.

M

I could not find a James Flood who died after 23 Oct 1915 on the CWGC database?

image.png.4c10d922db45c57ae899d090544af6c1.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

4 hours ago, museumtom said:

There are three Floods from Kilkenny that died who may be possibles, Myles, 17402, Patrick, 23746, and Thomas,  2089.

To complete my looking at these three:

Patrick FLOOD, 23746, Royal Dublin Fusiliers [according to CWGC and SDGW] has a BWM & VM MIC with the number 23747 [MIC has the same date of death - no address - medals do not seem to have been delivered and authority to dispose of medals was requested in 1922].  I wonder what the medal Roll records ??

Couldn't find a pension card under either number.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
sdgw

12 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

image.png.1406f7c3dcc4aa28a1d1a2c1231da06d.png

Rather suggests that for Patrick FLOOD the 23747 on the MIC was an error.

All that said ... I think Myles FLOOD, 17402, Royal Dublin Fusiliers [see my post above] is a particularly interesting candidate for father of poor young Kate - certainly worth more of a look if access to other records is available.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 minute ago, Ivor Anderson said:

image.png.8bb2de7b6e76c593bc99b42a6f80472f.png

That's interesting = His widow Mary, appears to have remarried and become Mary POWER - that would also help to explain why the pension claim did not extend beyond 1930 [she wouldn't have been entitled for herself once remarried, just for her daughter until 1930 when she became 16]

M

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Children: Bridgid, b 19.9.14 and Catherine b 6.11.15

Cannot find a Catherine b. 6 Nov 1915?

image.png.3c2dcabeb4594ff9cbe51227fed759b6.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Absolutely superb finds lads! Taking it all in (Borris is 25 minutes drive from Kilkenny) I reckon Myles is the lad we are looking for. Thank you all for a most interesting afternoon and a great chase. He has a newspaper item-

The Nationalist and Leinster Times, November, 1916. Two Brothers Killed in Action. The death in action has occurred in France of Myles and Patrick Flood (brothers). Aughmaleer(?), County Carlow. The former was killed about three weeks ago, and the latter a week back. Both were serving in the R. I. R(sic). , and their repose was prayed for at Graiguenamanagh Mass on Sunday last.

If Myles is our man then he must have joined up after April 1914.

image.png.fb5e908c30ab0a5e4c8c959ae395df5b.png

Still digging.

Bridig. Born Graigue, Thomastown, County Kilkenny.

image.png.f934f646b2d4f7ecf0f397d8ef2c8b4f.png

Good man Ivan.....I knew she was out there, thank you kindly. Well done indeed.

Y;know I reckon that ties it all together. What do your guys and gals think?

He went to France 19 December 1915. Catherine's birth date fits her age at death.

image.png.f9742ad44a9afd2e225581f8081c3ce3.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank you kindly Ivan, every bit helps.

Hurrah!

George

This lad escapes us. I know he will not qualify but I would like to include him in the 'Grey Area' of the database. Thomas Gilligan, died at Borrisokane Workhouse, Tipperary. Married, aged 28 formerly lived at Portland and thats about it. The Portland address is a townland in the parish of Lorrha, in North Tipperary. Can you help please?

image.png

Died 4 Nov 1918? Irishgenealogy.ie:                    N.B.  Portland is in north Tipperary, near the Galway border/River Shannon.  He is married.

A Thomas Gilligan was born 10 June 1890 in Loughrea district, Galway.

image.png.caa4947546071076c202f161c9c7c9dc.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Nice find Ivor, the age works well. Thank you.

May I ask for your help once again please? Try as we might we cannot make any headway with this lad.

Jones James One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. Death registered at Dublin. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service. 14 Crampton Court, Dublin 18/05/1918 Died after discharge at the Hospice, Harolds Cross, from Phthisis 2 months Asthenia certified. Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A single man. This man was not the only serviceman from this house who died. Another was Andrew Kilgallon, Chief Stoker, R.N.R. 24/02/1916 from Sligo. He died at 14 Crampton Court, listed as the house of his sister, Mrs Catherine Creagh.

Edited by museumtom

So many James Jones...10 born 1885/86.     There are 3 men of similar age who joined the 102nd Foot (later RDF):

27 Oct 1902, aged 18 (no. 3412, born Wicklow);                  20 March 1903 aged 18, (no. 4780, born Wicklow);              24 Sept 1906, aged 17, (6818, born St Marks, Dublin).  

Thank you Ivor, he was never going to be an easy ride, I am afraid.