Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

His NZ number was 17/263 and was in the Veterinary Corps

Record information.
Name
John Henry Bartholomew
Relative
Mrs J Bartholomew
Residence
1914-1915 Christchurch, New Zealand

That's in Ancestry Tom

Good man George, you are on fine this morning, that was not an easy find, thank you kindly.

His NZ file says that he was 'left behind' when the second batch of NZ reinforcements set off. Went to hospital in Perth and was examined by Medical board in NZ and discharged. His condition related to 'an accident 18 months before'.

... and now I'm off to the garden

George

Thank you George, enjoy the garden and well done again!

It is interesting that there is no medal roll for John H. Bartholomew 768747 & no medals listed on his MIC. Perhaps he did not serve in theatre?

Thank you Ivor, y'know have to admit I did notice that, and he should be in there too!

7 hours ago, George Rayner said:

image.jpeg.af8b25c3f17656f0b15c3a96b4624095.jpeg

7 hours ago, George Rayner said:
7 hours ago, museumtom said:

Your card seems to imply that he had been in the army and got a pension?

It does and was sent to Region 13 in 1921-which is Ireland I believe

John Henry Croker BARTHOLOMEW, 768747, 28th London Regt

Region 13 was Ireland and I note his address was Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. [adding this address to the thread in case of future searches]

4 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

It is interesting that there is no medal roll for John H. Bartholomew 768747 & no medals listed on his MIC. Perhaps he did not serve in theatre?

That would be my immediate interpretation.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you Matlock.

Back again lads and lassies. May I have your help please?

I am trying to nail down this lad. James Canon, 122 Parnell Street, Dublin, died at Dr Steevens Hospital, Dublin from pneumonia influenza. He may not be the same lad in the death certificate. Are we barking up the wrong tree you reckon? The back of his M.I.C. says he applied for his victory and Allied medal in 1902 so it may not be him.

image.png.6b4b192b0be5299e92c36992324e1707.png

We thought it might be James William Victor Cannon as he was born in Dublin and married in Dublin but folder3 of his does not give a date of death, nor the Parnell Street address.

His records are here.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007289940%2f01087&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7289940%2f57%2f1062

145934) (1).jpg

25 minutes ago, museumtom said:

James Canon, 122 Parnell Street, Dublin, died at Dr Steevens Hospital, Dublin from pneumonia influenza.

What date?

25 minutes ago, museumtom said:

We thought it might be James William Victor Cannon as he was born in Dublin and married in Dublin but folder3 of his does not give a date of death, nor the Parnell Street address.

James William Victor CANNON,  S4/145934, RASC and 5019

Disability pension card {PIC] at WFA/Fold3 has him - Discharged 8.12.18 with an address: 94 Barlock St., Possilpark, Glasgow.

PLIC also as 5019 Irish Gds has him with a GSW thigh and Debility Born 1890, Married and address: Bank St, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire - case notes start from 13/10/20

Both pension cares have a reference for MoP region 1 [Scotland] - though the PIC has a struck-through region 13 [Ireland] on it [likely the earlier reference] - my interpretation from the perceived sequencing would probably be that he moved from Ireland to Scotland.

MIC has him formerly 5019, Irish Guards. [A 1914-15 Star trio and SWB listing] - applies 9.8.20 from 74 Mount St Dublin

M

P.S. Once again I can't follow your links [as I don't have FMP] or see your images [Images come up as "Gone  Error 410" = ???] - hence my transcriptions which may also help other searches.

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Thank you for your help. Apologies 09/03/1919 as per death cert Matlock. I think I understand why the images are not showing it will not happen again. The images are folder3 which gives the same info as you posted. FMP does not help but says W.W.V. Cannons wife's name was Dora, single name Cannon too.

Canon, James, 33.pdf

Edited by museumtom

James William Victor CANNON,  S4/145934, RASC and 5019

This death from ScotlandsPeople should rule him out

CANNON    JAMES WILLIAM V    58   1945   644/11 463   Possilpark

M

Thank you Matlock, that rules him out as you say, feck it was so close...

It's a spelling problem Tom!

image.jpeg.dd30a5a2694a08c61f6518070458e185.jpeg

Oooh George you beauty!! what a find. So he was Carroll!

Happy days indeed, thank you.

Pvt James Joseph Carroll

BIRTH 16 Aug 1885
Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland
DEATH 9 Mar 1919 (aged 33)
Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland
BURIAL Glasnevin, County Dublin, Ireland
PLOT South, RA 5.5
MEMORIAL ID 52016636 · View Source

courtesy of Fold 3/Ancestry

Would you Adam and Eve it I already had him, there is an afternoon gone...thanks again George, I could have been looking for him for a week.

image.jpeg.70de7e63fe4432fd109df7639ee2c4ce.jpeg

Ancestry

No worries Tom. Seems like CWGC has him too...

George

Good man George.

Good morning all. Myself and George cannot nail this lad down can you help please? His address is Brabazon Row, Dublin. Patrick Carey, ex soldier, a single man, aged 29, of Brabazon Row, died at the Hospice, Harolds Cross, from Phthisis 1 year 1 month asthenia certified. Can you find him please?

image.png.a557d830486334c5c885cd7aa90c4a29.png

Edited by museumtom

Tom, Are you after further info on him or are you moving on to next one?

No thank you Mark, we found him, his DC was listed under the wrong name. He was really Casey not Carey, so we have moved on.

Next one please guys and gals. Can you help please?

Cleary    Michael            17 Francis Street, Limerick    17/03/1919    Died after discharge at his home 17 Francis Street, Limerick from Phthisis 2 months certified. Catherine Joyce, 17 Francis Street, Limerick was present at death.    Limerick (Mount St Lawrence) Cemetery
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A single man. His burial register says he lived at Francis Street, off Patrick Street, Limerick, and gives his age as 42.
Grave or Memorial: 20698
Notes: One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service. His death certificate states he was in the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

image.png.0e62f684fb758463a3c4f3148d5be897.png