Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

COOK'S MATEM McINTYRE

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Mercantile Marine Reserve

H.M.S."Hazel."

Date of Death

Died 12 March 1915

2 Pension cards on Fold 3 but just give mother and her address as above. DoD show as 3/2/1915

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you kindly Mark and George from the north of France!! Date of death differences duly noted.

Thanks again both of you.

George don't go mad over there!!Kindest regards.

Tom.

The weather here is terrible here, I hope it is very much better in your locations guys and gals.

What better way to spend a wet day than with an ould mystery. I do not have the answer who this soldier is but he must appear somewheres. Died between December and January 1915. Body found in the Grand Canal at Clondalkin, a suburb of Dublin.

image.png.92bcfdd236c0531b1088115df0539d30.png

image.png.4d32221f7152fd652b14c0a05edafbab.png

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

he must appear somewhere

Very similar one reported in 1919

From BNA

1432151593_Screenshot2022-03-0912_36_23.png.adadf520f3ba0fdca0c1f5d61f69e73f.png

Dave

image.png.f583ad6e85822e72d732a27ea3481e3e.png

4 hours ago, museumtom said:

The weather here is terrible here, I hope it is very much better in your locations guys and gals.

What better way to spend a wet day than with an ould mystery. I do not have the answer who this soldier is but he must appear somewheres. Died between December and January 1915. Body found in the Grand Canal at Clondalkin, a suburb of Dublin.

image.png.92bcfdd236c0531b1088115df0539d30.png

image.png.4d32221f7152fd652b14c0a05edafbab.png

Hi Tom,

This came up before and drew many blanks. Search Clondalkin and you'll find the previous posts.

I think of the poor chap every time I cross the bridge at the location.  Possibly an anonymous Glasnevin burial?

Dave

Thank you all. Myself and George are doing a final review of death certs and thought this lad was worth one last shot. Perhaps a search for R.I.R. lads died between December 1914 and January 1915 on the CD rom version SDGW might turn up a possible?

I would have thought he might be buried in Glasnevin or Grangegorman.

Keep up the great work and thank you for your invaluable input. 

5 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thank you all. Myself and George are doing a final review of death certs and thought this lad was worth one last shot. Perhaps a search for R.I.R. lads died between December 1914 and January 1915 on the CD rom version SDGW might turn up a possible?

I would have thought he might be buried in Glasnevin or Grangegorman.

Keep up the great work and thank you for your invaluable input. 

Grangegorman would imply the army authorities eventually took over interment of the remains and buried him as an unknown of which there are I think three in Grangegorman.

However the news reports strongly suggest the army disowned the remains and left the disposal to local government.

Would be great to solve this one. Would the Glasnevin database hold any clues I wonder?

Dave

Thank you David, without a date of death I think we are screwed though.

The above list are recorded in SDGW CD ROM as Died (suicide, accident or Illness) at Home, between 01/12/1914 to 01/02/1915. Perhaps folder3 or the effects register may help?

There's also the possibility of a civilian or a demobbed serviceman wearing a uniform which would confuse things further...

You are of course correct David. Tomorrow maybe consider those R.I.Regt lads who 'Died' at Home  01/09/1914 to 31/11/1914?

24 minutes ago, museumtom said:

You are of course correct David. Tomorrow maybe consider those R.I.Regt lads who 'Died' at Home  01/09/1914 to 31/11/1914?

I'll give it a go.

Thank you for your list Ivor, much appreciated!.

I get the impression that the body may have been in the water for some time. So here are the possibles between 06/08/1914 to 30/11/1914 from SDGW CD Rom. Only two I am unsure of-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2744051/patrick-lyons/

and

Below is listed as died at sea, now SDGW saves those drowned in rivers as died at sea.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2895214/patrick-tierney/

A fantastic article, well found George, thank you kindly.

image.png.5ea84287d87f2da07b049e99125092d2.png

image.png

Edited by museumtom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, time again for a mystery, lots of clues but no records. Myself and George have been trying our best and did ok but no cookie...yet anyway. Can you help please? Sadly at the moment I do not have access to FMP but am on it as they say.

We start with this.

image.png.d40345786b6b079e3d031386a13ce0a1.png

Next is an undated image of unknown origin.

image.png

Then we have a clue.

Clarke, Richard (G 1407).jpg

image.png.1cbb9c855d1b884e27aa91b7ad1c6673.png

image.png

His son, born in Corek.

image.png

Next image.png

And there we get stuck. Can you help please guys and gals?

Kindest regards.

George and Tm

14 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Hi all, time again for a mystery, lots of clues but no records. Myself and George have been trying our best and did ok but no cookie...yet anyway. Can you help please? Sadly at the moment I do not have access to FMP but am on it as they say.

We start with this.

image.png.d40345786b6b079e3d031386a13ce0a1.png

Next is an undated image of unknown origin.

image.png

Then we have a clue.

Clarke, Richard (G 1407).jpg

image.png.1cbb9c855d1b884e27aa91b7ad1c6673.png

image.png

His son, born in Corek.

image.png

Next image.png

And there we get stuck. Can you help please guys and gals?

Kindest regards.

George and Tm

Can you try again with the images Tom ?

Craig

They are all there Craig, can you not see them?

Just now, museumtom said:

They are all there Craig, can you not see them?

The files haven't uploaded. The link to the images that aren't showing are because they're local links to files at your side (so you can see them), rather than files uploaded to the site

image.png

Craig