Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

OK guys and Gals.

Sad to say it is last chance saloon for this soldier. Myself and George beat our heads against the databases for a considerable time and no joy.  Died 08/11/1920 from War Wounds. We have his MIC under Thomas Dile, and his folder3 cards, and medal rolls. We put all this together with the DC and sent it to Terry and he was not accepted-'no evidence', meaning no records to back it up. We reckon if his records exist anywhere on this planet you guys and gals are the only ones that can source them and give this lad one last shot at the C.W.G.C.

If his records cannot be found that's the end of it. We have to move along to the next one.

Can you help us please?

Kindest regards.

Tom.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Brackloon/Carrownaculla/1599855/

image.png.bb72899669a637460f2ccaeff5545e71.png

image.png.6ff0d95ffeafb92ac01c3bad7a58c950.png

Not sure it helps but he was wounded on 8/10/1915 at Suvla. See the 1RDF War Diary Here on ancestry

He is mentioned by name and number.

Appears on a War Office wounded list for the MEF on 7/11/15.

Z company. Assume he is the one that went to hospital. Apart from ref to snipers no indication of type of injury. The 5 years on the death certificate is spot on.

Mark is he down as Dile or Doyle in the RDF

George

Doyle in the RDF WD. Paper I spotted him in the WO list had him as Die. On tablet otherwise would have posted the WD image.

That's okay. Thanks

Many thanks Mark, much appreciated. So close and yet so far. He really is a most difficult soldier to find.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Mark-I can't find anything with Die in it as the name. Is it WO 329?

George

The WD entry. Do we think 5 years of war wound on death certificate and evidence he was wounded 5 years before death is not enough? Imaged courtesy National Archives

doyle.jpg.b53f6f2ea3e2f6e15f9dd09b2669eaa1.jpg

This seems to be the limit of his surviving docs

doyle2.jpg.80edc6cc2289955a4908608bc98c5a5e.jpg

Ignore the upsidedown writing. This has leached through from docs belonging to John Sayers RDF. Image courtesy FMP

Excellent finds, thank you very much Mark. I don't know how you do it but I am very grateful to you. Sadly we must move along to the next mystery, whoever he may be.

Thank you very sincerely for all your help Mark.

Kind regards.

Tom.

It's very unlikely that Terry will accept this as evidence! Although for us it appears clear enough...them's the rules

George

Sadly I have to agree with you George, only the records will do I am afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

This one has defeated us, can you help please? He has a listing in the N.A.M. ledgers under 7111207 and it looks like he died while serving but the DC says ex soldier, can you help please?

image.png.77b55258ec4add0b6f31d6b44ceb2573.png

image.png.3f170e31129614fc7625bd5f559c1f35.png

The far right of the NAM record states 11597. That is his original Royal Irish number. Following that takes you to 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FICRC%2FC_G1_E_15_01_0084%2F1355_0&parentid=GBM%2FICRC%2FC%2F500850

His POW index card which takes you to

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/3655166/698/29989/

He is the bottom entry on the page

Born 3/12/1893. Taken POW Ronsoy - that I suspect is Ronssoy on the Somme 21st March 1918. Not wounded. 2nd Royal Irish Regiment, 

Mother Bridget showing which matches NAM entry

Appears on a list of released POWs 23/1/1919

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you Mark. Great finds, indeed and very much appreciated. Did you notice where he transferred from the R.F.A., number 119908 on 11/08/1916? 

image.png.3656b84d237627677f24c8952f915ef3.png

The real question is if you look at his readout, the one on the bottom of the image below, it says he 'Died' now if you compare it to the ones on the top, they show their date of demob, or discharge, whereas his shows his date of death in the place of the discharge date. Would that not then show he died during service?

image.png.03239e238cb54709fe3c61605e4e88ad.png

My reading is he was sent to the B reserve on 19/8/19. This implies he was a regular and had done his with the colours service. 
B reserve is explained here

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/

The second column from the left of record has R in to show he is a reservist. So the 7111207 number seems to have been allocated in 1919 like the others on the page. So he died in the reserve. 
Possibly conscripted into RFA and then signed as a regular with the RIR????

Thanks a million Mark, now we know. Complicated lad to be sure. He was worth a second look that's why I knew this was the best last chance saloon on the net.

Thank you again Mark, your help is as always very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.,

• 2 months later...
On 12/04/2019 at 07:28, museumtom said:

This solder, Patrick Barrett, Connaught Rangers No 8792, discharged with TB died in 1916 and his records are up on FMP, lots of them, but the necessary medical page that would say if his TB was caused by or aggrevated by war service is not there which would allow him to go forward. Can you help please? 

Thank you all very much in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom, was just looking this man over myself when I found this topic, though unfortunately I still can't see a case for him. Despite some conflicting dates of death in his records the Irish DC confirms that he died from TB on 13 Feb 1916, and while the DC and pension ledger both give the impression that he was still serving at the time it's also clear from his service and medal records that he was discharged on 21 Jun 1915. Which makes this entry in "Ireland's Memorial Records" all the more puzzling:

Capture.JPG.3f501da870e156ac3b7d77e021bde384.JPG

I can't find a record of any Connaught men who died on that date!

Hello Paul.

I have given up on the project as I am just not up to it anymore. I am focusing on getting better just now. He was put forward on 12/04/2019 but not accepted, the reason given was -'Nothing says he was discharged with attributable TB.' It is not unusual for I.M.R. to err.

Kind regards.

Tom.

20 hours ago, museumtom said:

Hello Paul.

I have given up on the project as I am just not up to it anymore. I am focusing on getting better just now. He was put forward on 12/04/2019 but not accepted, the reason given was -'Nothing says he was discharged with attributable TB.' It is not unusual for I.M.R. to err.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Not to worry, I was at least able to put forward his brother William Barrett who also died from TB post-discharge.

All the best.

If you mean William Barrett, 24654. He was put forward to the 'In From The Cold Project'  on 24/09/2020 and was not accepted due to lack of records.

21 hours ago, museumtom said:

I have given up on the project as I am just not up to it anymore. I am focusing on getting better just now.

Tom,

Look after yourself, your health comes before all else.

I'm sure that I speak for everyone on the Forum when I wish you all the best, and to thank you for the massive amount of work you have done over the years.

Thank you both. I am giving it my best. We had some fun here all the same, lots of mysteries and most of the solved. I really enjoyed the chase with you guys as my guide.