Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

If you mean William Barrett, 24654. He was put forward to the 'In From The Cold Project'  on 24/09/2020 and was not accepted due to lack of records.

I can't think why, unless I managed to find something that had been missed previously. In any case, he is now in the system.

• 4 months later...

OK guys and gals I hope all are well during these strange times. Myself and George Rayner have different opinions whether these two soldiers are one and the same man. Can you help please?

Here is all the info we have found.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/750569/JOHN GALBRAITH/

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/750568/JOHN GALBRAITH/

Galbraith    ,     John    .     (Donegal).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service:      Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers    .     Unit:      11th Battalion    .     Ser No:      14463    .     Date of death:     01/07/1916    .     Age:          .     Born:      Binion, County Donegal    .     Enlisted:      Londonderry    .     Residence:          .     Death:      Killed in action    .     Next of kin, etc:          .     Newspapers/Books etc:          ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***    Notes-         .     Grave/Memorial:      Pier and Face 4 D and 5 B.    .     Cemetery:     Thiepval Memorial, France.     .                                                                                                                                                                                             
Galbraith    ,     John    .     (Donegal).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service:      Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers    .     Unit:      11th Battalion    .     Ser No:      15245    .     Date of death:     01/07/1916    .     Age:      21    .     Born:      Drumcrow, County Donegal    .     Enlisted:      Raphoe, County Donegal    .     Residence:          .     Death:      Killed in action    .     Next of kin, etc:      Son of Andrew and Elizabeth Galbraith, of Carrickadawson, Raphoe, County Donegal    .     Newspapers/Books etc:          ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***    Notes-         .     Grave/Memorial:      Pier and Face 4 D and 5 B.    .     Cemetery:     Thiepval Memorial, France.     .     297451375_GalbraithJohn(14463).jpg.42d5fac1dd9359c3e74813918e59b9b2.jpg2072054672_GalbraithJohn(15245).jpg.c134850af08a9ef949238b0900b0ec71.jpgimage.png.7a978a80ef670db7176a098603c48074.pngimage.png.2390115ffec99884a8a31252b7e171a0.pnghttp://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Feddyglass/Carrickadawson/506116/

Census for 14463

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/St__Johnstown/Kinnacally/506744/

CWGC-NA has two separate medal cards.image.png.14a0d17b7cf8b62c3f4873dd91383160.png

Tom, the 14463 guy was 30 years old

Dave

From BNA

Screenshot 2021-08-10 20.09.39.png

GALBRAITH, John

From the Pension Index Cards above with different references = being paid out to: 14463 = his Widow & five children and 15245 = his Mother [and Father - from another card in 1943] 

Rather unusual for a one soldier

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addit details re: father

He is a tricky one or two to be sure. Maybe they are two people?

Thank you David and Matlock, your input and newspaper article is very much appreciated.

There's nothing in any of the documentation that contradicts there being one, nor two John Galbraiths.

So, to further muddy the waters, I'll add three birth certificates from the Strabane district between 1885 and 1900.

Do they help or hinder?

JG1.jpg

JG2.jpg

JG3.jpg

Thank you Dai, does it help? Beats the 'eck outta me I am afraid. Thank you for looking up these old buddy!

Kind regards.

Tom.

18 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Dai, does it help? Beats the 'eck outta me I am afraid. Thank you for looking up these old buddy!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Different men, I'd say.

The effects records have two different entries, one for each number, so they had received 2 separate notifications from the record office that a man had died. Unlike the pension records there could not be multiple separate gratuity claims for the same person.

The monies/gratuity was paid out on different dates so each case would have been checked individually by the paymaster and notified to the effects on two different occasions. You'd be looking at multiple repeat mistakes over a period of several years (if they were the man).

Craig

Thank you kindly Craig, Buster and Dai. It does look like they are two separate men. Your help is very much appreciated, thank you.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 5 months later...

Hello again all! Myself and George are reviewing possible soldiers who are missed from the 26 county archive. We are absolutely stuck with these two. I am looking for an Irish connection but try as we might we cannot nail them down, can you help please?

Colchester Cemetery, United Kingdom. P 7 28. Son of Edward Edward Clancy.  Died from Influenza. Added by IFCP Volunteer David Milborrow.

CLANCY, James

Private 40210

2 Bn, Leinster Regiment

Died 14.03.20 Age 19

Commemorated: United Kingdom Book of Remembrance.

A wild guess might be this lad, but again no proof it is him.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Cadamstown/Cadamstown/541443/

image.png.e06dd38c76783a29f040100d608cecbf.png

Second unfindable is-

Added to the CWGC on 16/06/2012.

Rfn John RYAN
6985 2nd Bn, Royal Irish Rifles
Died 27.10.14 Age 32
Commemorated: France (1914-1918) Memorial

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75451491/john-redmond/

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75230266/john-ryan/

He served as John Ryan it seems and I cannot find any NOK details, can you help please?

I don't know if you have already seen the Registers of Soldiers' Effects. The gratuity went to a brother, James Redmond and a sister, Mrs Lizzie Kerr.

RM

Edited by rolt968

10 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Colchester Cemetery, United Kingdom. P 7 28. Son of Edward Edward Clancy.  Died from Influenza. Added by IFCP Volunteer David Milborrow.

CLANCY, James

Private 40210

2 Bn, Leinster Regiment

Died 14.03.20 Age 19

Commemorated: United Kingdom Book of Remembrance.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Cadamstown/Cadamstown/541443/

Not much, but you can say he enlisted on 25 Feb 1920 or shortly before.

#40211 - M Casey - enlisted 25 February 1920

Craig

Ryan effects register.

Brother James. Sister Lizzie and another called Sarah

image.png
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60506/images/42511_6117462_0226-00053?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=cfefaeaca2caf64e223ad2d3dca5d6a9&usePUB=true&_phsrc=lWR36&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=154700

The monies weren't claimed immediately as they had trouble tracking down relatives - the roman numerals are the number of the unpublished effects list he was shown in.

Craig

Lovely finds, thank you Rolt and Craig every scrap helps. Kind regards.

Tom.

3 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Brother James. Sister Lizzie and another called Sarah

Can anybody find a 'Lizzie' Redmond/Ryan who married a Kerr? Jiggered if I can...

Or a census return for a John, James, 'Lizzie' and Sarah anywhere...

George

6 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Can anybody find a 'Lizzie' Redmond/Ryan who married a Kerr? Jiggered if I can...

Or a census return for a John, James, 'Lizzie' and Sarah anywhere...

George

This possible one in 1908. Assuming Lizzie is just short for Elizabeth,

image.png

Craig

Thank you George and Craig. I searched for the Kerr wedding here in Ireland without success. I love the lateral thinking just the same lads, well done.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I am at a loss with these two...

George

On 17/01/2022 at 11:32, museumtom said:

This Clancy lad seems to be

this RAF chap

Born 23/2/01 (Birth cert says 21/2/01) and father Edward. RAF Sep 1918 to Mar 1919 then to Reserve. Does not positively exclude him. Nothing on RAF record indicates subsequent enlistment in the Leinsters. Trees on Ancestry show a family of 10 children of which only he and Michael (b1903) are shown with DoD unknown.

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you kindly Mark, alas I am Ancestrically challenged. Is there any address or birth location in the record please?

2 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you kindly Mark, alas I am Ancestrically challenged. Is there any address or birth location in the record please?

The record is also on FMP,

image.png

Craig